Top Story on the BBC - The BBC (again)

#1
It's getting a bit tedious.

Boring BBC

The last few days of BBC news (and I'm watching 'the Ten' now) has focussed on, er The BBC. First HM's alleged walkout and now the row over phone-ins. Neither deserved top billing and a combination of apologia and spin is pretty tedious - particularly as the lead story.

So - lazy story. I mean, how hard is it for a journalist to stand outside Television Centre and read out a press release from his own company? To add insult to injury they then advertise the 'have your say' link to further prove the point that they can't be arrsed with proper journalism anymore.

Second story. Disintegrating Russian relations and assassination attempts. Nice sense of perspective BBC. I'm now a convert to Jon Snow and C4's news coverage.
 
#2
Actually I think the question of standards, truth and integrity in the BBC should be the top story. We, the licence payers, fund the BBC and we should expect the highest standards of integrity.
 
#3
mushroom said:
Actually I think the question of standards, truth and integrity in the BBC should be the top story. We, the licence payers, fund the BBC and we should expect the highest standards of integrity.
Its all going to be Ok though as BBC Staff are going to be undergoing Integrity Training.

I always though you either had Integrity as a Person or you didnt .. :?
 
#4
Top story on BBC Newsnight.
 
#5
And they are at it again - the BBC thinking that internal newsletter stuff is worth top billing.

BBC is news on BBC

What annoys me is that this myopic, solipsistic organisation gets our money for poor quality end-of-pier talent show infested pap.

If these scrotes go on strike for let's say, three days - how much of my licence fee can I have back for services not rendered?
 
#6
Any organisation that employs a 'Director of Vision',and a US woman to boot,does not deserve public funds.The BBC has lost it's way,tries to force the opinions of it's staff on the public,and should be completely reformed.It is also a place where friends recruit other friends to work there in a sinecure.
 
#7
There was a guy on newsnight last night trying to defend the programming that the BBC3 channel spew's out.He had the nerve to sit in front of Jeremy Paxman and say "I actually commisioned 'Titty titty bangbang',and its a hilarious comedy show".He made me want to vomit blood.
 
#9
Balleh said:
A pretty good rule of thumb is "Don't trust the BBC further than you can spit"
That far? My, you are a trusting soul.
 
#10
I hate it when the BBC thinks that its own internal affairs are news, its one of the few areas where I disagree with their methods and policies. This should have little or no public coverage.

As a counterpoint, the company I work for with a turnover about 50 times that of the BBC, announced recently a massive corporate upheaval where several thousand staff would be relocating about a 1000 miles to another office within the USA and a similar number of staff to the BBC could well go on the dole, as well as offices closing and that they would also get out of some industry sectors. I haven't seen a dicky bird mentioned on any main TV news channel apart from a bit of coverage in the business press. Why do the BBC think that they are so important ?
 
#11
Just in. The revised BBC1 Saturday Night Schedule - post job cuts:


8.00 pm ~ “Changing Nigella Bites Strictly Come Ballroom Hell’s Ground Force Kitchen Rooms On Ice”
9:00pm ~ Another chance to see “Changing Nigella Bites Strictly Come Ballroom Hell’s Ground Force Kitchen Rooms On Ice”
10:00pm ~ Another chance to see “Changing Nigella Bites Strictly Come Ballroom Hell’s Ground Force Kitchen Rooms On Ice”
11:00pm ~ Another chance to see “Changing Nigella Bites Strictly Come Ballroom Hell’s Ground Force Kitchen Rooms On Ice”
12:00pm~ Close

If it comes to picket lines outside Broadcasting House, who’ll be crossing them this time around? Last time the scabs were Wogan, Steve Wright, Chris Moyles, Declan Curry and others.... or maybe they’ll be among the unlucky ones? Maybe they’ll need to turn to the Union and exploit the help that’s on offer...even to unprincipled back-stabbing swine.
 
#12
Old and tired............self obsessed Lefty cocks..........My My what are they going to do now without their publically funded jobs?

oooooh idea......manning shortfall!
 
#13
mushroom said:
Actually I think the question of standards, truth and integrity in the BBC should be the top story. We, the licence payers, fund the BBC and we should expect the highest standards of integrity.
You could use the same argument in respect to HMG. But anyway, doesn't the BBC get audited and reported on annually as a matter of course? Thought I saw that somewhere?
 
#15
Victorian_Major said:
It's getting a bit tedious.

Boring BBC

The last few days of BBC news (and I'm watching 'the Ten' now) has focussed on, er The BBC. First HM's alleged walkout and now the row over phone-ins. Neither deserved top billing and a combination of apologia and spin is pretty tedious - particularly as the lead story.

So - lazy story. I mean, how hard is it for a journalist to stand outside Television Centre and read out a press release from his own company? To add insult to injury they then advertise the 'have your say' link to further prove the point that they can't be arrsed with proper journalism anymore.

Second story. Disintegrating Russian relations and assassination attempts. Nice sense of perspective BBC. I'm now a convert to Jon Snow and C4's news coverage.
Why is the reporter stood outside Television Centre? Surely they should be allowed in if they are a BBC employee.

What irritates me is that they are prepared to cut jobs rather than getting rid of the execrable BBC 3, Radio 6 and Radio 1 Extra. I do like BBC 4, but would not be too upset if that went as well. The less said about the CBBC channel and CBeebies the better.

And whilst I'm in rant mode, could Jabcrosshook remove the ridiculous graphic from his signature block? It makes the page too wide and I'm fed up of scrolling from side to side every time I read a page that he's posted on.
 
#16
Bat_Crab said:
And whilst I'm in rant mode, could Jabcrosshook remove the ridiculous graphic from his signature block? It makes the page too wide and I'm fed up of scrolling from side to side every time I read a page that he's posted on.
I am amongst the first to admire the female form but I do feel Jab's signature detracts from this forum in general and his comments in particular.
 
#17
Hardly a surprise, is it?

"BBC in navel gazing onanist frenzy shocker".

Of course they're a bunch of self obsessed girly bed-wetters - they're journalists.

However, despite its inbuilt left wing bias, the ridiculously top-heavy management in place (which is not touched by these redundancies), and the pisspoor programming product in some cases, I still think that the BBC is best described by one of Churchill's bon mots:

"The worst possible system, apart from all the others."
 
#18
If we are going to have a media fiefdom funded by taxation (payable under threat of fine or imprisonment) it should at least be a bastion of high standards. We live in a declining society where 'entertainment' is geared towards semi literate chavages with short attention spans and a craving for voyeuristic celebrity worship, inane soap operas and cartoon style American action movies.

If there is going to be a state run segment of the media then it should be used to preserve and promote genuine culture and searching highbrow journalism with balanced analytical reporting and detailed news coverage.

The BBC has produced some brilliant programmes in the past - classics that have become part of our culture and there was a time when they were not afraid to challenge government.

I would suggest trimming away the superfluous and trivial appendages and re investing in the core channels and World Service. I would also purge the BBC of labour cronies and fellow travellers. There is no place for the deferential or politically correct and if it turns their cosy litttle worlds upside down so much the better. There is a younger generation of staff in the BBC that doesn't eat out of Labours hand and can deliver a more objective approach.
The final step would be a stroke of boldness and originality in appointing a Director General - my choice would be someone like Max Hastings or a retired General. That would really set the cat amongst the pigeons.....
 
F

fozzy

Guest
#19
Themanwho said:
Hardly a surprise, is it?

"BBC in navel gazing onanist frenzy shocker".

Of course they're a bunch of self obsessed girly bed-wetters - they're journalists.

However, despite its inbuilt left wing bias, the ridiculously top-heavy management in place (which is not touched by these redundancies), and the pisspoor programming product in some cases, I still think that the BBC is best described by one of Churchill's bon mots:

"The worst possible system, apart from all the others."
I agree. The Beeb drives me absolutely mad, and it has lost its way. Like many big organisations the top is totally out of sync with the rest of the organisation due to the many layers of useless middle men, and it seems to have forgotten what it's there for. Stick to your knitting chaps - concentrate on what you do the best - let the rest serve up the dross of reality crap, soaps etc.

They should have cut a swathe through the middle and top ranks, and shut the dire BBC3.

However, seeing what the alternative is like, especially over in the US, I'm still glad we have it
 
#20
...as the old Beeb saying goes:

"Deputy Heads will roll"!
 

Latest Threads

Top