Top Lad

In a time where we see more articles on shites like chavs, yobbos, hoodies, people rights violations (even at the labour conf!) and other shites in need of head-clapping, I thought I share this piece I saw in the paper that made me smile. The lad was modest at that as well.

There are some good uns out there :wink:

Schoolboy stopped runaway car

A mother has praised a 15-year-old schoolboy who leapt in front of a runaway car which had her four-year-old daughter inside.
Matthew Harvey, who is 6ft 1in tall, managed to use his body to stop the car from crashing in Flint, north Wales.

The drama had begun when Hannah Hopley accidentally released the handbrake in her family's car.

Her mother Catrina Hopley said Matthew was "such a hero" for stopping the out-of-control car.

Mrs Hopley was adjusting a child seat in the back of the car when the vehicle began rolling away with Hannah still inside it.

She started chasing after the car herself but it was Matthew, a pupil at St Richard Gwyn Catholic High School in Flint, who was able to stop the runaway car himself.

The mother was then able to jump into the car's driving seat and pull on the handbrake herself.

But before she could thank Matthew he ran off because he was late for school.

She was later able to track him down after recognising his school uniform.

"I couldn't thank him enough," said Mrs Hopley.

"He is such a hero. You hear such bad things about young people today but he was prepared to risk his life to save my daughter."

Matthew told Mrs Hopley his actions were "a gut reaction" and said he just knew he had to do something.

Hannah was left shocked by the incident, which happened on 14 September, but she has since made a full recovery.
BBC Link to Story

What she didnt realise is, Mat had swiped her handbag. Thats why he did a runner.

Seriously though. Not all youngsters are cretins. The media loves to be the ones to bring us doom and gloom.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Good skills young Harvey.
I also like the way he gapped it so that he could keep his timings, he should go far.
It appears that there are still some youngsters who have absorbed the lessons of the past and put them in action.

Does the fact that he was in a school uniform have any bearing on his ideals and therefore his actions ?

Sorry, but I doubt the accuracy of the story. The only way the kid would be able to stop a moving vehicle (which Mum was "chasing after") with his body would be if he was built like a sumo wrestler and the car grounded as it was running him over. Sounds more like a ploy by Auntie to get her nephew's name in the papers.

putteesinmyhands said:
Sorry, but I doubt the accuracy of the story. The only way the kid would be able to stop a moving vehicle (which Mum was "chasing after") with his body would be if he was built like a sumo wrestler and the car grounded as it was running him over. Sounds more like a ploy by Auntie to get her nephew's name in the papers.
Whatever, "the lad done well"! Let's give credit where credit's due, eh? Well done him!

MsG

I don't know about his build, but it was said that his height's over 6 foot.

And wouldn't that depend on the car weight and size, and how fast or slow it was going?