Top lad you. Cheers.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Likewise likewise. A bit hungover maybe but in thirty odd years as an airframe driver I’ve only known one occasion when a pilot had a pint and then was called to fly. It was operational and he fessed up next day. He was RTU’d for a while.
Didn't an AAC hero take a Gazelle for a spin out of Londonderry in the early 2000s after 'a few glasses of wine' and end up splashing it in Lough Foyle?

The Falkland Islands used to be the centre for bad-boy antics in so far as the light blue went. Up until camcorders and other media devices became commonplace, and of course footage began to be leaked............

But, getting back onto the theme of the thread, here's a candidate for 'Top Lad'. Michael Morison.

12ft off the deck at 150kts, for sh1ts & giggles, and a young RCT Pte gets killed. Well done you, I hope you sleep well at night, you c**t. What sticks more in the throat is that he walked a free man out of court.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
So he was guilty but the trial was fixed ?
Nope, he was found not guilty by a court of law and is therefore a free man.

Any insinuations that he may have allegedly spun the jury a pack of waffle about an iffy radalt are just that - allegations.

Likewise, there is scant truth in the rumour that the RAF offered an expert witness for the prosecution (C130K STANEVAL pilot, if memory serves me correctly) who would've knocked the defendant into a cocked hat in court. The CPS in their infinite wisdom knocked this offer back, the f***ing bellends.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nope, he was found not guilty by a court of law and is therefore a free man.

Any insinuations that he may have allegedly spun the jury a pack of waffle about an iffy radalt are just that - allegations.

Likewise, there is scant truth in the rumour that the RAF offered an expert witness for the prosecution (C130K STANEVAL pilot, if memory serves me correctly) who would've knocked the defendant into a cocked hat in court. The CPS in their infinite wisdom knocked this offer back, the f***ing bellends.
Sounds like you have intimate knowledge of the case, did you know the deceased and or the defendant ?

BopBopBop

War Hero
The Falkland Islands used to be the centre for bad-boy antics in so far as the light blue went. Up until camcorders and other media devices became commonplace, and of course footage began to be leaked............

But, getting back onto the theme of the thread, here's a candidate for 'Top Lad'. Michael Morison.

12ft off the deck at 150kts, for sh1ts & giggles, and a young RCT Pte gets killed. Well done you, I hope you sleep well at night, you c**t. What sticks more in the throat is that he walked a free man out of court.
Didn't the RCT Pte not see the Herc coming?

Sammer

War Hero
Have you ever been in a Chinnook in an operational capacity, the rules I am afraid tend to get blurred. I will also say that travelling in the seat between the two guys at the sharp end wearing NVG's and at 60 to 80 metres off the ground most of the way is one of my most enjoyable experiaces in the army.
Liar. Not in 1992 you weren’t.

When Rodney went back to the U.K. on course for several months, he parked his car in a manner that caused the VMs to curse him frequently.
Sqn OC to VMs: “Sgt Joe, we’re doing some fire and rescue training next week, can you rustle up a vehicle for us?”
View attachment 435548
Top Lad Joe...
On my NBC instructors course in Porton down in winter , about 1991. In the car park was a burnt out Golf GTE , poor mans GTI.

We were told it was due to the fact that two weeks before some stupid twat had...

Put a blanket on the engine as it was going to be cold that night. WTF ?

Similar dit.

In 94 I was moving to Tuzla in NE Bosnia, and waiting for a helicopter flight from Visoko. It started to snow and I started to pick up my bergan and move back to the accommodation.

The Danish movers told me to stand by, the Norwegian helicopter was inbound.

They made the whole flight through the blizzard on NVG.

After we landed I told the driver I was surprised they flew.

He told me:

“I’ve just come from Spitsbergen; if we didn’t fly in snow we’d never fly at all”

I guess the RN lads have to take the same attitude to weather :)
Falklands , Mt Byron RAF radar site 1983. It’s cold , damp and the mountain is covered in clouds but there is a CSE inbound. Looking out the portacabin as I can hear a very loud helicopters blades thrapping the air.

Looking through about 30 meters vis. There is a RN Sea King helli, hovering , can see the loadmaster looking out the side as he guides the pilot to the landing site. The Wheels of the thing are touching the barbed wire of the perimeter as the loadie tells the pilot where to go? An amazing piece of flying.

Falklands , Mt Byron RAF radar site 1983. It’s cold , damp and the mountain is covered in clouds but there is a CSE inbound. Looking out the portacabin as I can hear a very loud helicopters blades thrapping the air.

Looking through about 30 meters vis. There is a RN Sea King helli, hovering , can see the loadmaster looking out the side as he guides the pilot to the landing site. The Wheels of the thing are touching the barbed wire of the perimeter as the loadie tells the pilot where to go? An amazing piece of flying.
Yes the crabs were great there. I was on Mount Kent a year later.

Very good egg operators too. As many sausages as you liked!

Yes the crabs were great there. I was on Mount Kent a year later.

Very good egg operators too. As many sausages as you liked!
Yes the food was great , posted on here about how good it was. We had a chef and waiter who were RAF reserve. The chef would call up his mates in London get fresh food delivered to Brize and we had it he next day.

We did a weeks training in the gym porta cabin with a reward of a platter of mixed grill , t bone steak, sausage, pork loin , chips and peas. Fantastic grub.

Latest Threads