Top Gun under the sea

So if Maverick wants to swap branches and earns his dolphin wings lol then the USN has a sub surface adversary aggressor unit ...on both sides of the country established in the last year or so. Mimicking any potential foe and acting as either a Typhoon or Kursk lol.

cheers

Yokel

LE
Is this really that different from the use of simulated targets to represent hostile submarines, with experienced submarines evading and so on?

The use of simulated targets relieves our own submarine from pretending to be the enemy, and allows certain activities to be practised safely - such as weapon release.

Google 'Perisher'.

There is also series on YouTube.

Envy of the World it is - hence the USN chappy in the TV series, being shown/taught how to do it properly......

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Don’t the USN call on the RN to show them how its done, more than one USN officer has been beached because of the RN. Rumoured a carrier captain and ASW commander were sacked when a RN sub got close enough to fire a flare at the carrier.

endure

GCM
'How to command a nuclear submarine'

Just discovered it's available for free on Amazon Prime.

That's tonight's telly sorted out ;-)

Google 'Perisher'.

There is also series on YouTube.

Envy of the World it is - hence the USN chappy in the TV series, being shown/taught how to do it properly......
So, how come then, that the RN are Undisputed Masters of the Deep when a Perisher programme is being made, but the minute a T6 Akula starts sniffing, then the Russkis are all Captain Marko Ramius and "We're all gonna diee!!!"

Answers on a postcard................

So, how come then, that the RN are Undisputed Masters of the Deep when a Perisher programme is being made, but the minute a T6 Akula starts sniffing, then the Russkis are all Captain Marko Ramius and "We're all gonna diee!!!"

Answers on a postcard................
Do a few patrols 'up north', check out our kit and the operators that use it, then get back to me. The RN are not necessarily the 'undisputed masters of the deep', but they are bloody good. I know someone who was on the boat mentioned above by Dashing Chap. Why did you select the Akulas, rather than the newer and possibly even more capable Borei? Lack of knowledge?

I was always astounded that shortly after our arrival in the patrol area, we'd establish a contact, then stick with it for as long as required. Obviously now ALL boats are much quieter, therefore needing greater skills from everyone, whether tracking or hiding.

I fear you are mixing up Hollywood with real life.

Yokel

LE
Do a few patrols 'up north', check out our kit and the operators that use it, then get back to me. The RN are not necessarily the 'undisputed masters of the deep', but they are bloody good. I know someone who was on the boat mentioned above by Dashing Chap. Why did you select the Akulas, rather than the newer and possibly even more capable Borei? Lack of knowledge?

I was always astounded that shortly after our arrival in the patrol area, we'd establish a contact, then stick with it for as long as required. Obviously now ALL boats are much quieter, therefore needing greater skills from everyone, whether tracking or hiding.

I fear you are mixing up Hollywood with real life.
Maybe he was just after a bite? I think maybe he was referring to the way that some get a excited over a single Russian boat?

However, Russian submarine activity is increasing in the NATO theatre and particularly the North Atlantic with a potential threat to NATO maritime logistics. Additionally Moscow has sold boats - such as the three SSKs sold to Iran.

Talking of Iran (and difficult contacts), North Korea has helped Iran build a force of small SSKs that are suited to Gulf and Arabian Sea. They can no longer be dismissed after the sinking of a South Korean warship in 2010.

Whilst US or NATO submarinea can act as an enemy SSN or SSK in an exercise, they cannot represent the sonar target size of the smaller ones.

Last edited:
Maybe he was just after a bite? I think maybe he was referring to the way that some get a excited over a single Russian boat?

However, Russian submarine activity is increasing in the NATO theatre and particularly the North Atlantic with a potential threat to NATO maritine logistics. Additionally Moscow has sold boats - such as the three SSKs sold to Iran.

Talking of Iran (and difficult contacts), North Korea has helped Iran build a force of small SSKs that are suited to Gulf and Arabian Sea. They can no longer be dismissed after the sinking of a South Korean warship in 2010.
Totally agree.

Think how many new generation SSKs a European island nation could buy for the cost of a couple of carriers and air-wing.......

Yokel

LE
Totally agree.

Think how many new generation SSKs a European island nation could buy for the cost of a couple of carriers and air-wing.......
The Royal Navy has the main mission of sea control, as does the whole of NATO. We depend on seaborne imports and exports, and in a crisis, reinforcement and resupply across the Atlantic. We need the means to defend shipping against things such as submarine attack and long range air attack. That means task group operations which SSN/SSK are part of, as are the frigates with towed array sonar, the carrier putting jets and helicopters with dipping sonar in the air, and MPA.

Additionally NATO has exposed flanks for which we need to have amphibious options for responding in a crisis.

Our potential adversaries do not have this dependence on maritime logistics. Their naval mission is sea denial. Russia is a huge land mass that can threaten its neighbours over land. China is a huge land mass. Iran can threaten international energy supplies that pass near to its territorial waters.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

However, Russian submarine activity is increasing in the NATO theatre and particularly the North Atlantic with a potential threat to NATO maritime logistics. Additionally Moscow has sold boats - such as the three SSKs sold to Iran.

Whilst US or NATO submarinea can act as an enemy SSN or SSK in an exercise, they cannot represent the sonar target size of the smaller ones.
Do we not rely on small diesel subs from Denmark or somewhere for that sort of training?

Do we not rely on small diesel subs from Denmark or somewhere for that sort of training?
The US Navy a few years ago contracted the Canadian bought Victoria Class (i.e. HMS Upholders) to provide training on tracking conventional submarines, as the USN no longer had any.

No matter how good the submarines are that the Russians flogged to the Iranians, they have one fatal weak spot - they need to surface 5 times a day to allow the crew to pray.

Yokel

LE
The US Navy a few years ago contracted the Canadian bought Victoria Class (i.e. HMS Upholders) to provide training on tracking conventional submarines, as the USN no longer had any.

No matter how good the submarines are that the Russians flogged to the Iranians, they have one fatal weak spot - they need to surface 5 times a day to allow the crew to pray.
That is a daft thing to say. Do Muslim submariners demand that the boat surfaces?

FOST often gets other NATO Navies to provide SSKs for training (for which there is a quid pro quo) but exercises with real submarines containing real sailors have safety rules. Robotic systems could allow for more accurate weapon releases and so on.

Latest Threads