Top Gear. US version

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Steven, Apr 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You and I both know that Clarkson isn't ready for prime time in the USA!

They're gonna have to get him a moderating Spam sidekick with a reassuringly Midwestern accent and great hair.
  2. And the teeth. Don't forget the teeth. That hallmark of a great TV personality and all round perfect human being.
  3. I thought they did OK with the locals when they did the road trip across the southern states.
  4. I think it is a great idea....

he could set a new world record on the amount of death threats recieved in a hour :p
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

How would he cope with the roads? The British team are used to having to turn a steering wheel, used to corners and bends. And none of them are fat enough to test a yank tank.
    Still, there is a lot of sport to be had with a prog like this. And, Clarkson has had experience of being shot at whilst driving.
  6. You're just jealous that I can drive from San Diego to Los Angeles in two and a half hours on a good day, without touching my steering wheel once.

Besides, if you want stomach-churning bends (without rhinoceros-sized potholes) get down to the coastal roads. Have you never seen "Bullitt"? "Dirty Harry"?

7. Funny thing about the American copy of "The Office". It takes place in the city where I live. Strange to see the buildings I pass by almost daily on a TV show.
  8. Is that the one with Hamster driving a pink motor emblazened with man love custom paint job. I loved the bit with the redneck peckerhead sonbitches turned up in their pick up truck to do some gay bashing. Reminded me of the Good Ol Boys in the Blues Brothers.
  9. If ever a Brit presenter had a sense of humour that wouldn't play well in the States, it's got to be Clarkson.

The US and JC ain't ready for one another.
  10. Could Troy McClure of Simpsons fame do it :D
  11. The American version turned out better than I thought, largely because of Steve Cassell in the lead. By far the funniest moment was when his stupidly Machiavellian 'assistant to the director' Dwight Schrute gives a speech 'written' for him by Jim at a sales convention. It's a minor rewrite of one of Mussolini speeches.

As for Top Gear and Clarkson, I can see them doing well here. There's tons of source material; chop shops, vintage cars, NASCAR racing, drag racing, etc., in addition to new car reviews. Somehow I think the financial rewards will go far in his finding another country to use as a punching bag. There's always France.
  12. Simon Cowell, he of Pop Idol fame, has made it big taking his show to the States; I can see Clarkson doing the same.

Still if he goes, it will mean that the Brits who have made it to the US small screen in recent years will be Clarkson, Cowell and Anne Robinson. What will that do to Joe Average American's view of the British?

13. I was thinking of Cowell actually. He's made a big name for himself via American Idol.

Don't forget Hugh Laurie who's on "House MD", a popular show here. Most people don't know his not an American because he's adopted a mid-western accent for his role.
  14. Bump.

The episode of Top Gear where they get chased by rednecks is on tonight on UKTV G2. If you havent seen it, watch it before you go to the pub, best TG ever