Top Gear - Sun 12 Jul 8pm

A dust cloud rises, and through the haze caused by the searing heat the distinctive shapes of the newest British Army vehicles race through the sand, covering the soldiers in a thick coating of and dust.

The commanders move the vehicles to high ground and open fire on the enemy vehicle tearing around trying to escape the Army firepower.

The window gets wound down on the hijacked car and a taunting familiar voice shouts "you missed".

Jeremy Clarkson then speeds off in the confiscated 2001 Mitsubishi EVO VII, using the billowing dust cloud that the rally car creates as cover from fire.

What first appears as a 'typical' contact played out in Afghanistan is actually a game of cat and mouse, with Jeremy Clarkson taking on the might of the British Army for an episode of the popular TV motoring magazine Top Gear, being screened this Sunday on BBC2.

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/15799.aspx

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Also with some I.G. snipers
All of which he lost

Got the beers in the fridge chilling as I type. Looking forward to it.

Yip totally agree. Take my hat off to Top Gear!

I would put my last dollar on the fact that the 3 presenters are the ones who push for these sort of plugs for the Army... (wouldn't hold my breathe that its a the BBC)...

Looking forward to it!

Am I the only that thinks given the current casualty rate and genuine concern about equipment, resources, strategy and he overall success of the operation in Afghanistan this smacks of propaganda and a little distasteful,

'look at us, our vehicles are ace'

says the MoD

That type of thinking is what the armed forces should be stamping out, it stinks of 'stick it to the Man/MoD' mentality. The more we can show the public what we do, who we are, the more they support they are likely to offer.

Besides, the clip would have been filmed months ago.

Turk said:
That type of thinking is what the armed forces should be stamping out, it stinks of 'stick it to the Man/MoD' mentality. The more we can show the public what we do, who we are, the more they support they are likely to offer.

The clip was filmed at the begining of June, over two days

fairy_nuff said:
StickyEnd said:
bunk said:
He also did a beach assault with the RM in a ford feista
:D Oh yeh! That was a good one. Made me laugh.
Now that was funny, especially the look on JC's face when one of the Marines asked "Are we there yet?"
"do u want to just stay in here and shoot no point getting cold and wet" ha ha "shoot the enemy in their faces" top man

Turk said:

Then the BBC should be doing some sensible reporting from Afghanistan, asking difficult questions, challenging the MoD and Government. Would you have found the BBC doing this during the Falklands, Korea, Oman, Northern Ireland, Normandy or any other campaign, no of course not.

This smacks of gimmickry and trivialisation and lets the MoD and Government wriggle off the hook. In fact, I would even suspect that it was the MoD suggested it because we can all go ooh, aahhh, look at those handsome young chaps dashing about and looking all steely and brave.

It simply diverts attention and salves everyones guilty conscience so they can say they give a fcuk before switching over to big brother or getting back to the next political scandal.

Sorry if that goes against the grain buts it simply my opinion

meridian, you need to take a chill pill. This sort of publicity is brilliant for the Army. The MOD (not sure who you are referring to, do you mean all those operationally experienced servicemen in Main Building?) would have had nothing to do with the programme, and certainly not Ministers.

Clarkson's support for the Armed Forces through Top Gear, H4H and other programmes like that brilliant documentary on the VC does us the world of good.

Whatever Joe Public might think of this govt's foreign policy, support for the armed forces continues to be extremely high and positive publicity such as that received on Top Gear programmes is priceless.

forniup said:
SOunds like its gonna be another good 'un. Thanks Armynet for the text reminder too!!
Wonder how much that cost? Probably could have spent it on something more useful. Most folks that have registered on ArmyNet would probably already fit the demographic of TG viewers.

LISpace, perhaps I should chill out as you say and stop being so cynical :D

But if anyone for one nanosecond thinks the MoD PR spin machine hasn't had its hands all over this they are living in denial. I can see that at one level its a good thing, any publicity I suppose is good BUT, for me this is just a bit of superficial flim flam when the BBC should be pressing the MoD, not colluding with them

Bitter, twisted, cynical mode ====== /OFF

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bob Upndown Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 147
fltpilot Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 7
S The NAAFI Bar 50