Top Gear New series getting complaints

Higround

Old-Salt
Quite simple really, if you don't like it then don't watch.

I hate Big Brother with an ungodly passion but I don't complain about it I just choose not to watch it.

Fiji_Bob

Old-Salt
Seems to me the safety first brigade that stifles every aspect of our life are at it again and we should rightly complain about them :pissedoff:

As in the other TG piece, where road workers have to have 1 day briefing on wearing high vis vests and helmets before starting work, so then road works take twice as long :frustrated: ( what was wrong with the under sized two piece pin stripe suit and string vest all the shovel monkeys used to wear?)

I think accidents that kill off those too stupid to realise wearing safety helmets or driving at 120mph might get them killed and then do is just natures way of weeding out the stupid. :thumleft:

Why waste time boring the rest of us with assessments and briefings trying to prevent it? :plotting:

dutch_paddy

Old-Salt
Its not a question of habitat, but how hard you hit it! Its PC gone mad and for once its not about Bill Gates.

Hamster was lucky to survive, and I for one will watch TG because its funny.

If people do not wish to watch Top Gear they have the most effective censorship tool within their grasp.

It's called the ON/OFF switch on their TV. Simple!

To the weak minded of the nation.......my sincere condolences on your inability to utilise this device. To those nation of nannies who think they know better than the average petrol head, I advise you to leave the thinking to those more attuned to reality.

fastmedic

I'm sure there will be some more complaints as Jeremy Clarkson stated last night that if you see "someone driving in the outside lane of the motorway not fiddling with their radio doing 50 then they are a child molester" priceless, almost as if he was playing up to the complaints

forniup said:
I'm sure there will be some more complaints as Jeremy Clarkson stated last night that if you see "someone driving in the outside lane of the motorway not fiddling with their radio doing 50 then they are a child molester" priceless, almost as if he was playing up to the complaints
That is what most people like about Clarkson, he is just so non-PC.

Vote Clarkson in to replace bLiar ASAP and have someone with the ability to run the country at last.

fastmedic

fastmedic said:
forniup said:
That is what most people like about Clarkson, he is just so non-PC.

Vote Clarkson in to replace bLiar ASAP and have someone with the ability to run the country at last.

fastmedic
I'll vote for him. Look forward to the abolition of Bus lanes, 70mph speed limit, congestion charging and fuel duty!!!!!

mukhabarat2003

War Hero
theoriginalphantom said:
How many people had heard of Headway before this rant, It would be interesting to see how many members/supporters Headway has (anyone care to guess about 50?)

The cynic in me suggests that its a way of getting free advertising, and are hoping for the BBC to give them something to shut them up.
In answer to your question "theoriginalphantom" that below in italics is a reply to an email from my eldest daughter on my thoughts on the matter as a brain injury survivor and member of Headway. [I don't know who the other 49 are].

I didn't see the show myself - not being able to drive now there's not much point.

Looking at Hammond's miraculous recovery leads me to believe that he never had much of a serious brain injury - rather he was severely knocked unconscious. No bleed, no crush or bone injury.

As one who has suffered an injury rather more serious than Hammond I take a lot of what Hammond has written about his very fast recovery to be piffle.

As for the dribble joke it was unfortunate. I make jokes about spacca's but not where they can hear me.

Persons with BI who dribble or have difficulty with a variety of functions are always aware of the loss and the resulting effect - so that would be insulting I think.

I am one of the lucky ones - there are plenty of others with much less than the injuries I had that are dribbling, gibbering wrecks - I am not insulted and I didn't laugh; but I do feel for those who were - but not to the point of making a worthless complaint.

As for the free advertising I think you are wrong there.

There will be a drama entitled 'Recovery,'starring David Tennant, that will be screened shortly.

The storyline is about a successful builder who suffers brain injury and follows his experiences during his recovery.

Not only did the BBC contact Headway for advice but also put Tennant in touch with a variety of survivors who related their particular experiences to Tennant to assist him with the realism of his portrayal.

I don't know how many members Headway actually have - I know of four - but surely the main qualification for a membership is an unwanted one.

Trix

Swinger
You'd think that if Hammond has allowed this to go forward then he isn't too bothered about the comments. If he can man up and take it then so should these other people.

Trix

Swinger
You'd think that if Hammond has allowed this to go forward then he isn't too bothered about the comments. If he can man up and take it then so should these other people.

pomps

LE
calm down, its only a TV show....
Oh and teh quote was wrong... May asked if Hammond was now a Mentalist not a Mental.

The main reason that Top Gear is such good viewing is that it displays a Naafi-esque sense of humour. If it wasn't generating the complaints, it would not be worth watching! Maybe they should also have a warning at the begining of the programme, something along the lines of:

"Look some of the stuff in here is really quite nasty. If you are easily offended - DO NOT ENTER."

And more to the point, how did Hugh Grant manage to get away with coming onto the show and not having a single Devine reference made. He must have had a water-tight legal agreement, because I can't see Clarkeson letting him get away from it that easily!!!!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Hamster was incredibly lucky. The fact that he gets ribbed so outrageously on the show when he goes back is wonderful IMHO. As for it not being PC, all the better for it. A lot of the fun of that program is in the banter and insults; may it long continue.

I can perfectly understand it if those with brain injuries feel hurt or upset by some of the comments, or a charity that supports them feels it has to say something, and they are within their rights to make an issue of it (especially if it gets some air-time for them).

That is no reason to stop Top Gear doing it though, and I very much doubt that the 'faithful' promise never to mention it again will be adhered to (I haven't seen last night's episode).

So, from this corner Hamster . . . . mmmmMMMMLLLLAAARRRRR!!!! :thumright:

Oh FFS I give up, yes its very sad if someone suffers brain injury as a result of an accident but does that really mean that we can't still have a bit of banter at the Hampster regarding his accident? I agree that had he been injured and confined to a wheelchair etc etc then taking the pish out of him on TV might have been a bit tasteless but he wasn't and they didn't so end of story.

ishinryu

Old-Salt
smallbrownprivates said:
Archimedes said:

ISTR that every time someone suggests that the soundbite 'speed kills' is overly-simplistic (the counter-argument being that its travelling at speed in inappropriate locations/when road conditions are poor, etc which is the cause of fatalities) charities such as Brake immediately mount a soapbox and denounce whoever's said this as being in league with Satan.
the phrase is stupid, its not the speed, its the sudden stopping that kills. Bit like never ones been killed by a fall, but most by landings.
I have been on several landings but it was falling down the stairs that hurt! :biggrin:

Blogg

LE
They do bottle out of somethings though. Most recent episode was supposed to contain the following:

"We crashed a really big train into a French people carrier."

It’s a tragic fact that one person dies each month in an accident at a railway level crossing, usually while trying to jump the lights. In a genuine effort to stop this, we teamed up with Railtrack to show you what happens when hundreds of tonnes of locomotive crash into a car. And, just to prove that even a five-star NCAP rating won’t help you, we used a Renault Espace."

In light of the recent deaths in a level crossing accident that got pulled. Ins tead there was some extended pratting around on a golf course.

Anyway, the footage of Captain Slow taking a Bugatti Veyron around the VW test track at 407Kmh (254mph) was really astonishing

Blogg said:
Anyway, the footage of Captain Slow taking a Bugatti Veyron around the VW test track at 407Kmh (254mph) was really astonishing
Not really. I got 43mph out of an FFR and trailer once. Its all on film too.

The most classic Top Gear footage was Sabine Schmitz doing the Nurnburgring in a Transit in just over 10 mins (Clarkson did it in just under 10 in a Merc (can't remember which model)).

Come to think of it, she is probably responsible for the hundreds of w*ankers in Transits who try and imitate her every Friday on the M1.

in_the_cheapseats

LE
Blogg said:
They do bottle out of somethings though. Most recent episode was supposed to contain the following:

"We crashed a really big train into a French people carrier."

It’s a tragic fact that one person dies each month in an accident at a railway level crossing, usually while trying to jump the lights. In a genuine effort to stop this, we teamed up with Railtrack to show you what happens when hundreds of tonnes of locomotive crash into a car. And, just to prove that even a five-star NCAP rating won’t help you, we used a Renault Espace."

In light of the recent deaths in a level crossing accident that got pulled. Ins tead there was some extended pratting around on a golf course.

Well, with luck it will be shown later in the series - it would have been even better with a caravan!

Capt Slow was rather impressive but that car, extraordinary :omg: .

Latest Threads