• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Top Gear - has it exceeded it's shelf life?

Watched last night's Top Gear (well, first 30 minutes) and found it about as funny as burnt cheese on one of Ghandi's flip flops!

Am I alone in thinking that Clarkson and Co. (as a team) have reached the TV equivalence of being "shelf-life expired" and that the BBC should drop this programme? I occasionally enjoy some the programmes made with James but, IMHO feel that Clarskon and Hammond's solo acts have descending to the puerile and irrelevant!

Before someone rips into me, I do appreciate Clarkson's support of charities to raise money for Service pers and his wider support for the Armed Forces but my comments above refer to his "entertainment value".

The editors of the below link agree with me on Top Gear; how about the wider ARRSE community?

Top Gear's festive special saw Jeremy Clarkson take his tired act to India: TV review | Metro.co.uk

Youre not alone mate. It seemed to be rather contrived and was trying just a bit too hard. Previous specials have been funny because of the apparent spontaneity (even if they have all been fully preplanned anyway) and the ad-libs. The India special was predictable, so obviously scripted and not terribly funny. Tend to agree they've lost that original spark of humour.

B

Biscuits_AB

It's essentially 'The Clarkson Show' now, with the other two (who are by far the better presenters) playing as his 'sidekicks'.

G

goatrutar

It's one of my favourite shows,but sadly I have to agree. Maybe a fresh approach rather than axeing the show entirely.

Forastero

LE
Agree it was pretty dull and predictable but I'd still rather watch that than Eastenders, Downton ******* Abbey (most definitely not seen although aware of it) or any 'talent' show. Oh, and anything with Alan Carr in it, the mincing ponce.

Agreed, Clarkson is pretty one dimensional as a presenter, he now reminds me of Brian Clough in that he has become a paradoy of himself. James May I find entertaining although the continous labelling of him as slow and ponderous is wearing thin. I'd axe the show, its been past its shelf life for some time.

It's essentially 'The Clarkson Show' now, with the other two (who are by far the better presenters) playing as his 'sidekicks'.
It always has been the case; Clarkson has always held an executive producer role on the programme unofficially at first but then ratified.

As far as the series continuing is concerned, bearing in mind what a money spinner the series are for the Corporation,it's unlikely that they'll kill it off completely. To give an idea of the esteem in which Top Gear is held it might be worth bearing in mind that the budget per episode can average around £180,000; that's about £120,000 more than the equivalent independent version such as Driven or 4th Gear.

As long as car manufacturers produce new products there will be motoring magazine shows.

Agree completely, the show has worked for a few years now, many other copies have joined in, they need to take a step back now.

Perhaps they need Noel Edmunds to come up with a new gameshow format or else, I liked when they took the Discovery up a Scotish Mountain, more meaningful tests or its just a gimmick (which it is now), the best thing the top gear guys (and IMO they have been awesome hosts of a great program which has run its course) is to go gracefully, maybe do a christmas special every year, but just stop draggin out to a slow death.

Thanks Top Gear, but dont ruin it, be the righteous people you claim to be and put the poor bugger to bed.

I think what is killing Top Gear is the endless repeats. If I had a quid for each time I turned over to another Top Gear just to find that I've seen it probably 3 or 4 times before, I'd only be 20 quid or so behind Clarksons legendary millions.

It's a shame because originally they were great shows and the camera work is really great. Their endless quest for repeat fee's are killing them though.

It always has been the case; Clarkson has always held an executive producer role on the programme unofficially at first but then ratified.

As far as the series continuing is concerned, bearing in mind what a money spinner the series are for the Corporation,it's unlikely that they'll kill it off completely. To give an idea of the esteem in which Top Gear is held it might be worth bearing in mind that the budget per episode can average around £180,000; that's about £120,000 more than the equivalent independent version such as Driven or 4th Gear.

As long as car manufacturers produce new products there will be motoring magazine shows.
You are right, but it needs a new format/facelift. Clarkson et al (IMO) are great guys, but its been years now, lets come up with a new format for a motoring TV magazine, maybe something more real to the actual purchasers of said cars?

Before someone rips into me, I do appreciate Clarkson's support of charities to raise money for Service pers and his wider support for the Armed Forces but my comments above refer to his "entertainment value".
It shows how wet this site has become when a poster feels the need to apologise in advance for having the audacity to criticise someone who is past it. Yes, he is a good egg who does a lot of charity work, but that doesn't alter the fact that he is no longer funny and his show should be axed.

I think what is killing Top Gear is the endless repeats. If I had a quid for each time I turned over to another Top Gear just to find that I've seen it probably 3 or 4 times before, I'd only be 20 quid or so behind Clarksons legendary millions.

It's a shame because originally they were great shows and the camera work is really great. Their endless quest for repeat fee's are killing them though.
Living in Australia all we ever get are repeats, you have to wait for a political statement or date drop to know whether the series is new or 2003 vintage. Last night I watched the fella's going through the Iraq desert live and brand fekn new. Sure I watched this live and brand new last year?!

They could do a 4x4 top gear, a sports car top gear, a family saloon top gear, and a mini hatch top gear, 1 per month, 3 per year, 2 hour special. TV gold.

I thought last night's programme was pretty dire, to be honest. The Vietnam one was much, much better; this one was almost a parody of itself. It just wasnt funny.
I think it may have "jumped the shark".

Jumping the shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agreed, however the show should be kept going for to axe it now would be to hand victory to those sad and far too sensitive types who were "offended" by Clarkeson's comments on shooting strikers:)

TG should be carefully reconfigured by drip feeding new presenters into the show.

I do enjoy that "Man Lab" programme though - I suspect in the long run James May's career may outlast the other two.

Haven't seen the India special yet, but I do think they're starting to go downhill. They need to change something or become completely formulaic (it always has been slightly - Clarkson shouts power and drives fast, May is slow, Hammond is small etc, but now it seems to be all they have).

Either a new presenter or a rethink of how they do the show is needed. Oh, and get rid of 'B lister trying to push their new book/album/show in a shit car'. I only ever watch TG on Sky+ now purely so I can fast forward through that ten minutes of wasted air time.

It is just a program to show off totally unaffordable cars and to stroke Jeremy Clarkson's ego. Very, very little air time on the cars that 98% of the population can afford or any car industry news worth listening to. It is time they axed this tripe and 'invented' a current, broad based humorous car show. The country is full of car lovers, petrol heads and people shopping around for a new car, the endless spotlights on the Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1, Ferrari Enzo, Pagani Zonda and their ilk can only keep people's interest for so long.

I do not mean they should ignore such supercars, however they should not be the main subject matter of the show - when Topgear first started, concentrating on the most unaffordable supercars was certainly not the case.

Okay, admittedly road tests on Ford Mondeos, Fiestas, Focus and similar Vauxhalls do not have as much panache, they are however of more interest to the main stream viewer.

Latest Threads