• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Top Gear - boring?

Forastero

LE
Moderator
#1
I was away for 10 days or so and naturally wanted to catch up with my fix of Top Gear when I got back but, and this may be sacrilege, I found myself getting bored stiff with all the usual stuff. Take the VW advert for example. The predictability of the characters' input was, well, massively predictable. May was going to be boring and factual, Clarkson was going to be ridiculous and 'out there' and they would never agree. The same basic formula has been applied to the last 3 or 4 series and I've got be honest, its starting to get properly dull. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favourite programmes but the race between the letter and the Panamera was one the most pointless and boring exercises I have ever seen on Top Gear that I seriously wonder if its starting to lose it's way. Sad to say, I was more interested in the Porsche than the inane witterings of May and Hammond and couldn't wait for it to be over. I spent more time on ARRSE than I did watching the programme.

Do I need to slip on my comfy slippers and sip from my cocoa or does anybody else feel the same?
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#6
Even if it gets more formulaic and predictable than GMTV, it's still the only thing worth watching when "24" isn't on, and is the only reason why we should be legally forced to pay to watch it.

Keep Top Gear, scrap the licence fee. The BBC need to be forced to make quality programs other than the only decent one they have, Top Gear.

I fucking loathe paying the TV licence, TG is probably the only BBC programme i watch. It needs to go.
 
#7
Not the finest series, and some elements do seem to be getting a little stale. It was almost as though they'd not filmed enough for the last programme and left in bits which would've ended up on the cutting room floor (well, the digital equivalent), and then still found that they had to resurrect the Cool Wall to fill the five minutes between Jay Leno being a tad dull and the frankly odd Aston Martin piece at the end.

Part of the reason that everything seems so familiar though, has little to do with the programme and much to do with the BBC's scheduling.

Series finishes. Gap at 2000 on a Sunday. So, fill it with... a repeat of the previous series.

Then, before the next series starts, treat us to a few weeks of 'the best of Top Gear' in which you reorder the items from the previous series, dropping a couple which didn't work as well as hoped.

And they do this in the knowledge that faced with the choice of (a) watching Last of the Summer Wine or the utter sh1te on the other channels or (b) sighing and watching a bit/all of the repeat of Top Gear, a fair number of viewers will probably go for (b). End result is that the programme becomes too familiar and loses its edge.

Not the only reason, of course (after all, there's only so much they can actually do with the format and have probably reached that point where they need to do fewer programmes per year), but I suspect it helps contribute to the problem.
 
#8
vampireuk said:
They still come up with a gem now and again but they are obviously running out of things to do.
Not so much things to do. I think money is more accurate. Think about it. Just before the credit crunch hit they were tying cars to rockets in order to try and make their own space ship.

The Vietnam special was a prime example of how they can turn their hands to anything and just entertain the viewer as it was fantastic.

Now they get to drive around a training area twice a series and race the postman. Why? Because its cheap.

They're still highly imaginative and the shows are always entertaining (Some more than others) but as they're run by the same BBC that is as skint as every other government dept they have to live within their means.

I'm all for scrapping the TV Licence and just paying a TG Licence instead as the rest of the BBC's programmes tend to be sh1t and Sky provides a better news and weather service.
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#9
Archimedes said:
the frankly odd Aston Martin piece at the end
I didn't find it odd. I found it extremely (and upsettingly) predictable.

The petrolhead age is going to come to an end. Soon. I for one don't count something as "fun" unless it propels me forward at at rapid rate of knots under the influence of a petrol engine!

Modern technology has yet to convince me on "performance". When I press the right hand pedal, no matter what is powering my car, I want to fucking well accelerate.
 
#13
Forastero said:
I was away for 10 days or so and naturally wanted to catch up with my fix of Top Gear when I got back but, and this may be sacrilege, I found myself getting bored stiff with all the usual stuff. Take the VW advert for example. The predictability of the characters' input was, well, massively predictable. May was going to be boring and factual, Clarkson was going to be ridiculous and 'out there' and they would never agree. The same basic formula has been applied to the last 3 or 4 series and I've got be honest, its starting to get properly dull. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favourite programmes but the race between the letter and the Panamera was one the most pointless and boring exercises I have ever seen on Top Gear that I seriously wonder if its starting to lose it's way. Sad to say, I was more interested in the Porsche than the inane witterings of May and Hammond and couldn't wait for it to be over. I spent more time on ARRSE than I did watching the programme.

Do I need to slip on my comfy slippers and sip from my cocoa or does anybody else feel the same?

Dad?
 
#14
Danny_Dravot said:
i've known this for a while now. TG used to be a decent motoring programme, now its just dumbed down, blokey, lads shite...the BBC equivilent of FHM
Totally agree. The "Who wants to see ( some Z class star or starlet with something to promote) driving the not very good car around Gambon?" sh1te. Not me for one. It used to be good viewing but I'd rather have half an hour with the Dandy or Beano, definitely more upmarket!
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#15
Closet_Jibber said:
Not so much things to do. I think money is more accurate.
Spot on. Clarkson said as much before this series even started. The budget is x% lower now and he said the challenges would be toned down due to cost.

Say bye-bye to races around Japan and hello to races against Postman Pat.

Still one of the few things I'll actually make time to watch though.
 
#16
The format is tired - getting bored of the scripted 'banter' and whacky characters of the hosts, and whilst the races were original to start with they are starting to get very low on options. The programme either needs fresh direction or they want to think about finishing things off whilst they're still relatively popular.

Agree though that TG is still one of the only things worth watching on BBC (along with Have I Got News For You). We pay the license fee every year, and because it's spread over so many platforms (website, multiple TV and radio channels) it just means we get 99% cr*p output.
 
#17
The bar has been set so very high by Top Gear that little else on the box tickles one's male fancy.

You might think it is become a tad formulaic, but, as others have noted, you only have to have the briefest of squizzes at the alternatives on the box to come to the quick conclusion that everything else is even more so. Yet another reality TV program, yet another cookery program, yet another property program, yet another police chase program, yet another hospital soap, yet another sci-fi soap, yet another police soap, yet another soap soap - shit, there's even 'yet another car program', populated by dullards who've had their personalities lobotomised.
 
#18
For me, I'm just getting bored with the tired format and watching three other blokes enjoying themselves throwing stupidly expensive cars around a track. Ultimately, you're simply watching somebody else have a good time at your expense. There is no connect between what they do and us, we can't afford Ferraris and the like and when was the last time you said to your mates 'I know, lets spend £1500 on some crap cars and piss about all day'? Doesn't happen and whilst it was amusing to start off with, its all becoming a bit dull now. That said, I don't want it to turn into a motoring magazine for the over 60s testing Ford Focuses all day and headed up by Titchmarsh but something needs to change.
 
#20
Forastero said:
For me, I'm just getting bored with the tired format and watching three other blokes enjoying themselves throwing stupidly expensive cars around a track. Ultimately, you're simply watching somebody else have a good time at your expense. There is no connect between what they do and us, we can't afford Ferraris and the like and when was the last time you said to your mates 'I know, lets spend £1500 on some crap cars and piss about all day'? Doesn't happen and whilst it was amusing to start off with, its all becoming a bit dull now. That said, I don't want it to turn into a motoring magazine for the over 60s testing Ford Focuses all day and headed up by Titchmarsh but something needs to change.
Watch 5th Gear instead.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts