Top Gear - boring?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Forastero, Aug 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I was away for 10 days or so and naturally wanted to catch up with my fix of Top Gear when I got back but, and this may be sacrilege, I found myself getting bored stiff with all the usual stuff. Take the VW advert for example. The predictability of the characters' input was, well, massively predictable. May was going to be boring and factual, Clarkson was going to be ridiculous and 'out there' and they would never agree. The same basic formula has been applied to the last 3 or 4 series and I've got be honest, its starting to get properly dull. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favourite programmes but the race between the letter and the Panamera was one the most pointless and boring exercises I have ever seen on Top Gear that I seriously wonder if its starting to lose it's way. Sad to say, I was more interested in the Porsche than the inane witterings of May and Hammond and couldn't wait for it to be over. I spent more time on ARRSE than I did watching the programme.

Do I need to slip on my comfy slippers and sip from my cocoa or does anybody else feel the same?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Admit it, mate. You're (not allowed to say it any more), aren't you? :D

3. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Only when I push back. Cnut! :D

4. They still come up with a gem now and again but they are obviously running out of things to do.

5. It has become very formulaic of late. So much so that it is now the most predictable programme...

in the world.

6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Even if it gets more formulaic and predictable than GMTV, it's still the only thing worth watching when "24" isn't on, and is the only reason why we should be legally forced to pay to watch it.

Keep Top Gear, scrap the licence fee. The BBC need to be forced to make quality programs other than the only decent one they have, Top Gear.

I fucking loathe paying the TV licence, TG is probably the only BBC programme i watch. It needs to go.

7. Not the finest series, and some elements do seem to be getting a little stale. It was almost as though they'd not filmed enough for the last programme and left in bits which would've ended up on the cutting room floor (well, the digital equivalent), and then still found that they had to resurrect the Cool Wall to fill the five minutes between Jay Leno being a tad dull and the frankly odd Aston Martin piece at the end.

Part of the reason that everything seems so familiar though, has little to do with the programme and much to do with the BBC's scheduling.

Series finishes. Gap at 2000 on a Sunday. So, fill it with... a repeat of the previous series.

Then, before the next series starts, treat us to a few weeks of 'the best of Top Gear' in which you reorder the items from the previous series, dropping a couple which didn't work as well as hoped.

And they do this in the knowledge that faced with the choice of (a) watching Last of the Summer Wine or the utter sh1te on the other channels or (b) sighing and watching a bit/all of the repeat of Top Gear, a fair number of viewers will probably go for (b). End result is that the programme becomes too familiar and loses its edge.

Not the only reason, of course (after all, there's only so much they can actually do with the format and have probably reached that point where they need to do fewer programmes per year), but I suspect it helps contribute to the problem.

8. Not so much things to do. I think money is more accurate. Think about it. Just before the credit crunch hit they were tying cars to rockets in order to try and make their own space ship.

The Vietnam special was a prime example of how they can turn their hands to anything and just entertain the viewer as it was fantastic.

Now they get to drive around a training area twice a series and race the postman. Why? Because its cheap.

They're still highly imaginative and the shows are always entertaining (Some more than others) but as they're run by the same BBC that is as skint as every other government dept they have to live within their means.

I'm all for scrapping the TV Licence and just paying a TG Licence instead as the rest of the BBC's programmes tend to be sh1t and Sky provides a better news and weather service.

9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I didn't find it odd. I found it extremely (and upsettingly) predictable.

The petrolhead age is going to come to an end. Soon. I for one don't count something as "fun" unless it propels me forward at at rapid rate of knots under the influence of a petrol engine!

Modern technology has yet to convince me on "performance". When I press the right hand pedal, no matter what is powering my car, I want to fucking well accelerate.

10. It doesn't help that there are also tons of repeats of previous series on Dave

11. i've known this for a while now. TG used to be a decent motoring programme, now its just dumbed down, blokey, lads shite...the BBC equivilent of FHM

12. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

prolly why its rumoured theres only one more season in it.

13. Dad?

14. Totally agree. The "Who wants to see ( some Z class star or starlet with something to promote) driving the not very good car around Gambon?" sh1te. Not me for one. It used to be good viewing but I'd rather have half an hour with the Dandy or Beano, definitely more upmarket!

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Spot on. Clarkson said as much before this series even started. The budget is x% lower now and he said the challenges would be toned down due to cost.

Say bye-bye to races around Japan and hello to races against Postman Pat.

Still one of the few things I'll actually make time to watch though.