Top Gear Bolivia - How much bullshit, how much reality?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Good CO, Jan 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm not a Top Gear fan but was browsing around on iPlayer and found the Top Gear Bolivia special. It is, so far (about 15 minutes in), excellent. Funny, interesting etc. However....

Maybe someone with Beeb contacts, media experience or common sense can spread some light on this. Quite how much of the Top Gear Bolivia 'challenge' was bullshit, how much scripted, how much kind of somewhere between the two? Is the whole thing just complete bullshit?

Did the presenters actually have anything to do at all with buying the vehicles or were they just told to drive them? How many rehearsals in getting the vehicles off the boat? Rehearsals done by them? How many people are there behind the cameras in the jungle? A couple of blokes and a director in a fourtrack? A whole gang with make up artists, cooks, mechanics....?

Anyway, I'll crack on with watching it.

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

there didnt seem to be any faking the part where Jezza was having to pass the other car on the outside of the road...next to a sheer drop.

I'm afraid of heights, but just watching it made me feel queasy.

3. I think there is a fair amount of it that is scripted interspersed with a fair bit of real time issues / occurrences. I reckon 50 / 50. Two spare / support 4 x 4's(just like the polar expedition)?

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

"we had reached a small gully"....... right.... the same small gully that the researchers had found, practiced on etc.... but, were the presenters just driven there with a script? Driven there and told to crack on blind? Really are involved in writing the program and really did make it up as they went along?

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Fair one. I wonder how long it took to make.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Not a chance in hell. Wait until you get to the end and see what 'accidentally' happens to Hammond's Toyota.

7. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Hammond's vehicle being VOR at the end with no 4WD meant that they had to script the trashing of it rather than risk him going down the very steep dune.

Mostly scripted IMHO but interspersed with some genuine moments - Jezza and the cliff being one of the few. The whole raft scene was blantantly set up.

8. I doubt the insurance company would allow him anywhere near that edge. And the multiple camera angles would make me wonder how "staged" it was.

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

That's what the beeb really get you, a modern Landcruiser. I wonder how much time they spent chilling out in the back of this?

10. Never forget that Top Gear is an entertainment show, so nothing is always as it seems. Having said that, it is a very good entertainment show, and the trip looked fantastic.
    As the owner of a small gay looking Suzuki, I was chuffed to see how well James May's car held up against more 'credible' trucks.

11. That was well done but as you say PMU, there is no way anyone would have risked that for a tv show. If you watch it again, the camera work suggests that it was set up.

As it would happen I saw Hammond on NY eve, perhaps I could have asked him but he was so plastered I doubt I would have got a sensible answer.

12. Good spot, sir!

13. For a split second I thought that twat Clarkson was actually going to fall into the abyss. I was greatly dissapointed when he didn't. Another chance wasted.

Quite pleased to see the Range Rover come out on top though. as for Hammy's Toyota at the end, it was quite clear that there was no way it was going to make it down that dune, so it supposedly rolling off on its own was a complete setup. Ta ta to the Toyota.

14. "Oh my god we might get cerebral oedema!"

More likely, they had medical personnel continually monitoring the three presenters. They're not going to let them get killed.

15. Don't forget that they are followed by a production unit and film crew, Risk assessments are done and parts are scripted. It's entertainment, do you expect Eastenders to be real?