Top Chili tip - Scotch Bonnet Peppers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by PartTimePongo, Jun 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I first became addicted to these at a very young age as a Padbrat in her Brittanic Majesties Caribbean possessions. They form the base of Pickapeppa Jerk Sauce (Yum!) and Encona brand Hot pepper sauces, which have been dulled down for sale here. Grace Brothers Hot pepper Sauce is far superior.

Tabasco sauce by comparison, I can drink from the bottle and is the hot sauce of choice for Salon owners, Americans and those of challenged sexual orientation.

Scotch Bonnets are highly dangerous, to the uninitiated , and girlies. Eating one raw will make you call on God to take your miserable life there and then.

Most Scotch Bonnets have a heat rating of 150,000–325,000 Scoville Units. For comparison most jalepenos have a heat rating of 2500 to 8000 on the Scoville scale.

Which gives you an idea of just how seriously potent these little beauties are.

Eaten raw, these peppers are also known to cause dizziness, numbness of hands and cheeks, and severe heartburn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet_(pepper) , not to mention doing your bot-bot all sorts of harm if unused to their fiery goodness.

Be careful in their preparation, and do not wipe eyes or sub-stomach working parts , as it will be very very painful indeed.

However, some research by eminent men of letters, who like a good hot chilli, also suggests that they are good for Heart, circulation and keep the old Cancer cells in a state of abject whimpering terror.

The good news is , they are very very cheap. I can pick mine up locally, for about a Pound a Pound, as the locals fear them :D

2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

3. Im attempting to grow my own chillies this year... not sure if I will be able to get them to fruit though....

4. me too...sweet peppers and cayenne.. 8)

5. Best thing about them is you can freeze 'em. When you are ready to cook, you simply hit SB pepper with saucepan lid and if you rub your eye later by accident, you won't be crying for your mommy.

6. I once ate an entire raw Scotc Bonnet Pepper. Not even for a dare, just to see if I could.

I spent an hour and half with my mouth under the cold tap on full in my kitchen. A Sunday afternoon well spent.

7. Would you do it again??

8. Can see your problem there mate, next time you do it(!) drink milk instead. Chili is fat soluble, not water soluble, ergo milk will cool your mouth down much faster. Still reckon a roll of sh!t tickets on standby in the freezer would be a good move though. 8O

9. PTP if you're a fan of Scotch Bonnet chillies may I point you in the direction of this hybrid Dorset Naga, with a name that sounds almost as docile as the Scotch Bonnet but with a SHU scoring in the region of 960,000 it's surely a hybrid of napalm rather than a humble plant.

I tried to get one a couple of years for a lead-lined mouth belonging to a friend of mine, but there was quite a waiting list. Almost surprised to see the website still going, would have thought it would have been closed pending a manslaughter enquiry by now.....

If you dare, just ensure your Will is up to date and that your penultimate action is turning the webcam on :D

10. anybody else fallen for johnny gurkha's little joke?
    mess hall lone Gurkha eating pie and chips with big pile of chilli's on side of plate
    happily munching away at them.
    see's you looking offers you one.
    Emperor mong goes look he's wolfing them down like there chips how hot can they be?
    alright I'll try one how hot can they be.
    answer extremely hot as you flee with mouth on fire
    johnny and the Emperor laugh mightily while awaiting next victim :twisted:

11. Thank you .Dolly, I enjoy a new challenge, and 3 times as hot as SB's you say? :D

12. Ooops...

But was only trying to be helpful :(

13. I'd almost forgotten about that - the chilli was the world's quickest laxative, and, when it came out, it BURNED. Thankfully, my mouth had stopped burning by then, otherwise I'd have had a real dilemma. Also, don't rub your eyes after touching a chilli that hot.

14. Have tried these a year or so ago. They come dried and are surprisingly small. The remainder that I didn't use (i.e. all but one of the packet) are currently in a friend's kitchen masquerading as sun-dried tomatoes :twisted:

Treat them with the utmost caution, wear gloves, if you chop them with bare hands you can feel the heat (!). To be honest, if you really want to cook with them rather than play practical jokes just rub them against the food - you'd be insane to actually put any in your food.
    I put just half of one in a pan of chilli, apart from the giggle factor it was a good way to ruin half a kilo of best mince. Totally inedible.

Apparently the bloke that grows them is the Yank veggie off Hugh Floppy-Whatalongname's River Cottage thingy.