Top Cat The Movie | Hanna Barbera Cartoons

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Tremaine, May 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe just for the old cartoon fans of a certain age ;) Or even the old farts like me lapping up this stuff along with early Warner Brothers stuff. If you've got the Hanna Barbera Box Set or Loony Tunes, you'll understand. Top Cat The Movie's in Cinemas next month, for anyone who's interested or might remember the Hanna Barbera cartoons like The Flintstones, Wacky Races .

Manhattan Alley Cats Fancy-Fancy, Spook, Benny the Ball, The Brain, and Choo Choo living in Hoagie's Alley with their leader Top Cat/Boss Cat "loosely based on Phil Silvers" shows, are back . Private Doberman on The Phil Silvers Show, also provided the voice for Benny the Ball in Top Cat. First seen in thirty cartoon episodes early in the 1960's, in the US and later on UK networks, the series was on Boomerang, a while back.

Amazon has the original series at

New film out June 2012 TOP CAT THE MOVIE in 3D - IN UK CINEMAS FRIDAY 1ST JUNE 2012

Old Top Cat cartoon TC - S1E23 - Dibble's Brithday 2-2 - YouTube

Tame, dated and relatively unknown these days but worth a look and good for a chuckle. Even if only for your ankle-biters.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Having educated the now teenage rugrats in Muppetry this film will be compulsory viewing. WWTCD What would Top Cat do?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fu2

fu2 LE

Brings back memories of Saturday mornings.
  4. As in Hanna Barbera cartoons, and the Banana Splits for instance? Dick Dastardly and Mutley? Tiswas and Swap Shop.

*cough* so I'm told *cough*
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I was a TC fan back in the day. Is that why this fills me with dread? Some things should be left original and not played around with. I bet it will be very, very PC as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Had the urine extracted remorselessly by Mrs SB and kids when this was previewed at the pics and I knew all of the words: Top Cat Intro Credits - YouTube

It's a 'gotta watch' imo.
  7. For some reason the theme tune of the daft kids TV show 'The Double Deckers' was running through my skull all day. I burst into song several times and got extremely odd looks from my Kiwi colleagues, the heathens!
    Double Deckers TV theme Video by Peter - Myspace Video
    Check out a young and hirsuite Peter (Spooks) Firth. :)
  8. TC The Movie has been reviewed and from what I can find, the characters are set in modern Manhattan times, modern settings and backgrounds. Some reviews say the voices are close enough and to be fair it's good to see TC back, if only for the characters and memories. Doing TC today is probably a big Ask anyway, and modern kids might not get the original humour, Phil Silvers stylee, or the values of the original 1960's times. It might work as a franchise, brand and icon thing.

CineVue | Award-winning UK film blog for movie news and reviews says "For older audiences perhaps looking for a pleasant stroll down memory lane, Top Cat: The Movie offers a few deft touches of nostalgia (like retaining the film's memorable and catchy theme tune)". That's the nice review.

Reviews are at Digital Spy and
  9. Double show in my early years!
  10. I'll be doing the 'Banana Splits' theme toon tomorrow no doubt!
  11. Some of the shit kids watch on TV today, eh? They've no idea what quality entertainment is. Joe 90...Captain Scarlet...Deputy Dawg...Crackerjack...Runaround...
  12. Or the 'Bucket of water' song of Tiswas fame..................ohhhh Sally James
  13. The 'three fat skinheads version?'
  14. When my daughter was 4-5 years old my Mum sent a DVD box set of the 'Clangers, Ivor the Engine and Bagpuss' down for her birthday.
    She loved being tied to her chair and forced to watch as I yelled at her "Why aren't you laughing it's funny FFS!" :wink:
  15. Never mind Sally James, Sarah Green cropped up on telly recently and reestablished her rightful place in the **** bank

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2