Top cardinal dreams of Vatican FC

BBC News
Link
A senior Roman Catholic cardinal says he hopes the Vatican may one day field a football team good enough to compete with Italy's top sides.

Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone envisaged a team that might challenge famous Serie A clubs like Roma, Inter Milan and Sampdoria.

He said the Church's seminaries and Catholic youth clubs around Italy were full of talented footballers.

He said they would gladly pull on the Vatican's yellow-and-white colours.

'Timely intervention'

There are some very serious football fans in the Vatican, and Cardinal Bertone is one of them.

He is a diehard Juventus supporter and, while Archbishop of Genoa, often commentated on Sampdoria games for local TV.

"I do not preclude the possibility that the Vatican, in the future, could put together a football team of great value, that could play on the same level as Roma, Inter Milan and Sampdoria," he said.

In a football league that has been mired in corruption and controversy, this is perhaps a timely intervention.
Father Dougal: Didn't you once say that Father Jack had a trial for Liverpool?
Father Ted: No... no, he was on trial, in Liverpool.

Random_Task said:
BBC News
Link
A senior Roman Catholic cardinal says he hopes the Vatican may one day field a football team good enough to compete with Italy's top sides.

Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone envisaged a team that might challenge famous Serie A clubs like Roma, Inter Milan and Sampdoria.

He said the Church's seminaries and Catholic youth clubs around Italy were full of talented footballers.

He said they would gladly pull on the Vatican's yellow-and-white colours.

'Timely intervention'

There are some very serious football fans in the Vatican, and Cardinal Bertone is one of them.

He is a diehard Juventus supporter and, while Archbishop of Genoa, often commentated on Sampdoria games for local TV.

"I do not preclude the possibility that the Vatican, in the future, could put together a football team of great value, that could play on the same level as Roma, Inter Milan and Sampdoria," he said.

In a football league that has been mired in corruption and controversy, this is perhaps a timely intervention.
Father Dougal: Didn't you once say that Father Jack had a trial for Liverpool?
Father Ted: No... no, he was on trial, in Liverpool.
:lol:

And then, of course, there is the football calendar. There might be some difficulty in fielding a team on a Sunday
A bit of devine intervention may be required :lol:

So where do I have to sign?

Good idea......

untill they beat England using the hand of God tactic....

I'll get me coat and wait outside......