"Top Brass to be culled"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alfred_the_great, May 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And wings on your arm. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. You heard it here first - Para Generals to be culled outright, leading to a mass drop in morale for all our brave chaps.....

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, we got rid of 5* rank, in an amazing reaction to the reality of the last fifty century, around 20 years ago. A 4* is an Army-level Commander. We haven't got a Corps-level force, let alone an Army, even if we glued both Services together, and added the AA, Costguards, RNLI and the RAF. Given the realities, a 3* as CINCFLEET, UKLF, etc., seems rather sensible. It will (should....) then mean a corresponding reduction in Star count below that. This should mean fewer admin-type Staff Officers/PAs, Drivers etc, as we all know that a 1* and above needs a good few bodies to keep him in the official manner :)

Anyway, I heard different stuff coming out from the DRU - but it's not going on here, that's for sure!

4. I do not advocate US Marines, but the comparison of the number of brass has to be made. Simply we can not afford the gold - and through different articles with regard to leadership in Basra etc etc it is tarnished. Cull the feckers, allow the government money to pay for enlisted personnel.

Tonight in the Czech Republic a similar debate is now going on about the effectiveness of the Czech armed forces and their capability. The Guardian makes the point that brave Brit chaps are fighting in Libya and Af. However, there are probably a shit load who are doing nothing more that ticking the boxes that ensure promotion and see thread http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/163475-us-forces-remuneration-healthcare-costs.html there is a similar experience in America where it can not be afforded anymore.

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

we should send them out there into the big bad world to learn just what kind of wars we are fighting - a few high level advisors in libya and afghanistan might learn enough to actually influence a proper force structure.

and its time the raf top brass wound up in the FOBs so they understand what the term AIR SUPPORT actually means!!!!

6. Question. How much brass do we need? Seasoned SNCOs and junior ish officers know. The past is blocking the future, corrupting the future and then taking on board pliant companions - think honours...

Cull them

K

7. That's the only mass drop we will be capable of soon!

8. We do seem to be rather over-generalled, the reduction in 1* and above numbers since 1989 hasn't been proportional to the shrinkage in rank and file, has it? We probably have rather more generals, air commodore wing squadron thingies and admirals than we need, hence, rather a lot of non-jobs for same. Of course, if the pyramid shrinks dramatically at the top end, that makes a military career rather less attractive for lifers - we already lose a huge number of Majors at the 16-year point, I suspect we'd lose even more at an earlier point, as soon as it became apparent that they probably weren't going to make the cut at OF-4. Paradoxically, it will probably continue to be the smart ones getting out, so we'll end up with fewer, but dumber, senior officers.

Heretically, I often find myself wondering whether we actually have too many commissioned officers, the Germans seem to do pretty well with proportionately fewer. Fewer officers might mean smaller, more agile headquarters, more time spent at Regimental duty for those who want to be around soldiers, my God, it might even lead us to a professional General Staff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grumblegrunt

well I question the need for generals full stop! after all germany brought the world practically to its knees under the command of a corporal who hadnt even done junior brecon. they'd have won with an ex sargeant in command, especially the way they bred their ncos. napoleon promoted himself up the ranks, washington too

most revolutions were by colonels and below so why do we need generals? they are expensive, demand posh cars and helicopters. without them the MOD can be run by handfull of colonels issued with oyster cards and some pretty secretaries to distract them from planning wars :)

we may as well be run from the pentagon nowadays anyway, we might even get some decent kit!

10. Grumblegrunt

I read somewhere the german orbat from ww1 and 2 most batallions only had a dozen officers with companies often being run by ncos

and the entire US marine corps makes do with only 70 senior ranks or something like that. there was an article about it a while back probably by Lewis Page

11. Just what would the Current UK Army be in say WW II strength, An Army Group, Army, Corps, or even a Division ?

john
    Last I heard the Prince of Darkness was on about 44 Battalions strong.

12. I have long argued that we should slash officer recruitment and bring back WO3s to replace the missing subies.

Two Pl in each Rifle Coy commanded by WO3, and one by 2Lt.
    Pl in SP Coy commanded by 1Lt.
    Rifle Coy commanded by a Capt with the existing CSM as the 2IC.
    Two Maj per Bn, a OC HQ/COS and a 2IC/TM.

13. That was pretty much the way it worked out anyways when I was in. That, and 19 man platoons carrying all the weapons and kit meant for a full platoon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. It's ok, I'm here all week!