Top Brass scrapped PJs for injured??

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stephanie, Sep 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw this article today in the sun (pg 19).

"Troops wounded in Afghanistan are being flown home in sheets and towels because top brass have scrapped free pyjamas, it emerged yesterday ......... four mums revealed they are to hold a jumble sale to raise money to buy pyjamas, shorts and T-shirts for injured heroes"

Understand you can't say yay or nay to there being any truth in the story. But can I just send out these items ....... is there a specific addy I can send them to, I know BFPO numbers for Bastian and Kaf. Or should I just send them to OH and see if he can pass them on?

While postage is free can't see any harm in sending out these.
  2. Someone tell me this isnt true? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
  3. If they have, it would be appaling, another case of the Government penny pinching. Wrapped in towels and sheets? WTF??? Where is the dignaty for those wounded lads, for God's sake, issue the PJ's, does it really cost that much?

Or are we going to read in the next few weeks that top MOD Civil Servants have jsut been paid a very large bonus for "sterling and exemplary service".

This just boils my blood!!!!
  4. Don't know about the 'stan, but there was certainly a stash of civvies/toiletries in Iraq made available for those injured. There was some welfare-type person within the hospital who looked after this sort of stuff & got it through the J4 Med Log chain as I recall. We would have purchased locally if this route had not delivered (I am certain we would have got funding released if we had asked).

Accordingly, I have my doubts over the full truth of this story.
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

6. Thanks for the link oldbaldy. Sincerly hoping its not true, but just in case think I might send out a box or two anyway.

Just read some of the replies on the scum - may even write to some companies and request donations.
  7. IIRC the line was that these guys were in the Canadian hospital and we didnt have stocks there. Not quite sure how that counts as "Top brass penny pinching", but am resigned to the latest installment of "MOD dont have a clue part 389485949"
  8. Not too sure about this one, having been aeromeded from Iraq I was told that I had to fly home in uniform, even as astretchered casualty
  9. ISTR civvies were provided by the hospital for those whose uniform was destroyed as a result of their injuries to avoid them travelling in their shreddies or the hospital trying to get a reissue of combat clothing from the parent unit at short notice.
  10. When were PJs issued??? Certainly weren't 20 odd years ago... I remember being forced to buy a pair before going to hostiple. There must however be some form of hygenic clothing available in the system for tpt. is there not?
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm with Jim on this one. It's a bit of a non story. There will be suitable clothing available for cas traveling. PJs, with limb injuries for example, may not always be appropriate.

Don't believe everything you read in the scum, don't believe anything in fact.
  12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Another Sun non-story, demonstrating their usual shoddy reporting and lack of proper research. Written by John Kay, the subject of a puff-piece in Soldier not that long ago, and a speaker on Media Ops courses - you'd think he'd have better contacts. Still, the Sun can never be accused of letting the facts get in the way of a story.

The Defence Medical Welfare Service at Fd Hosps in both Iraq and Afghanistan have stocks of t-shirts, shorts and flip flops, as well as overnight packs of toiletries for patients who arrive without their own kit or who have their clothes cut off. These are funded by MoD and resupplied (usually very slowly) by J4. In addition, there are usually various items that have been donated by others.

In most cases the patient's unit will bring his kit to the hospital; some cases are so urgent that the patient is on an aeromed flight before this happens. There are also some occasions when units don't reunite the soldier with his kit, for various reasons.

I'm certainly aware of patients who've been flown home in shorts and t-shirts. It's also possible that some of the most seriously injured are flown home 'in towels and sheets', but NHS PJs should be available at RCDM, and although MOD were reluctant to fund it, DMWS can now provide basic clothing - there are large stocks of toiletries and other necessities there too. Emergency overnight packs are available from DMWS at all MDHUs and DGPs, and have been for years.
  13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Just a quick update on this story.

I understand that as a result of the piece in The Sun, £5000 ended up at the Fd Hosp in Afghanistan, apparently to buy pyjamas. However, since these are not needed, the CO has directed that the money be spent on welfare equipment for those bedbound patients.
  14. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Typical of the Scum (the Paper that supports Our Boys.... in order to increase its own circulation) not even to check its basic facts before going to print.