• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Top brass fury as US buys Harriers for peanuts

The SUN said:
ANGRY top brass yesterday slammed a decision to flog Harrier jump-jets to the US on the cheap as "complete madness".

Ex-Security Minister Admiral Lord West said that whoever was behind the "joke" £34million sale was "as mad as a box of frogs".

UK taxpayers forked out more than £1BILLION for the iconic jets - up to 40 of which are going to the US Marine Corps for the knock-down price.

Lord West, 63, stormed: "We're in a land of complete madness. Selling these Harriers in this way - well, what a stupid, extraordinary decision.

"It makes one feel that whoever is behind this is as mad as a box of frogs. We're in the extraordinary place where we rely more and more on the US.

"The Harrier GR9s are bang up to date, were hugely expensive, and are probably the best in the world for what they do.

"And, guess what, we're selling them for a joke price." Dozens of Harriers that could now be targeting Libyan tyrant Mad Dog Gaddafi's gangs were scrapped under defence cuts last October.

Millions had been spent upgrading the fleet - with powerful Rolls-Royce engines, new weapon installations, targeting pods and helmet-mounted displays added before the chop.

Just weeks ago The Sun pictured the jets wrapped in paper and gaffer tape in a hangar as they awaited being mothballed.

The move to flog the Harriers was also described by Admiral Sir John Woodward, commander of the Falklands Task Force, as "crass beyond belief" and a "shocking waste".

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence yesterday said: "The aircraft will be disposed of through whatever means will get best value for money for the UK taxpayer."

Top brass fury as US buys Harriers for peanuts | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys
I did do a quick SEARCH, and found nothing already posted concerning this!

£34 million?
We could probably have a whip-round and buy them for the greater glory of ARRSE.

A defense article printed in the Sun, quoting an ex minister and another long retired Admiral. I wouldn't jump to confuse this with accurate reporting.

The way I heard it, the Harriers are as shagged out as a rack of 1960s issue SLRs, and the pilots have all signed off due to overwork and general frustration. But then again, I could have just made that up...

At least they're not being sold to a future enemy. I hope.....

A defense article printed in the Sun, quoting an ex minister and another long retired Admiral. I wouldn't jump to confuse this with accurate reporting.

The way I heard it, the Harriers are as shagged out as a rack of 1960s issue SLRs, and the pilots have all signed off due to overwork and general frustration. But then again, I could have just made that up...

At least they're not being sold to a future enemy. I hope.....
Never mind, if there is any truth in it...we could always lease them back.

Weren't the Harriers all knackered after a lot of being flogged round Afghanistan in recent times?

What defence capability should be cut to bring them back then?

There's a desperate shortage of peanuts, you know. The price has shot up, maybe the Govt has pulled a good deal on this.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
And I thought the Americans were training birds of prey and had got confused.

Harrier - Ideal for light duty bombing of sand people and donkeys in countries that don't have an air force.

Tornados - Ideal for heavy duty bombing of grown ups in countries that have an air force. Can also do light duty bombing of sand people and donkeys in countries that don't have an air force..

You cut your budget and makes your choices.

500k for a shagged airframe seems a good deal to me!

Harrier - Ideal for light duty bombing of sand people and donkeys in countries that don't have an air force.

Tornados - Ideal for heavy duty bombing of grown ups in countries that have an air force. Can also do light duty bombing of sand people and donkeys in countries that don't have an air force.

Don't, mate. Yokel will end up putting on a link to his pathetic "Sea Jet" thread off PPrune. If you know what I mean......................

Brilliant - in a thread about Hariers, post#3 mentions SLRs. The rifle which just won't go away.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
MOD denying any suggestions of it. I probably have a link if I search through my history again