Top brass fury as US buys Harriers for peanuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RCT(V), Jun 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did do a quick SEARCH, and found nothing already posted concerning this!

2. £34 million?
    We could probably have a whip-round and buy them for the greater glory of ARRSE.

3. A defense article printed in the Sun, quoting an ex minister and another long retired Admiral. I wouldn't jump to confuse this with accurate reporting.

The way I heard it, the Harriers are as shagged out as a rack of 1960s issue SLRs, and the pilots have all signed off due to overwork and general frustration. But then again, I could have just made that up...

At least they're not being sold to a future enemy. I hope.....

4. Never mind, if there is any truth in it...we could always lease them back.

5. Weren't the Harriers all knackered after a lot of being flogged round Afghanistan in recent times?

What defence capability should be cut to bring them back then?

6. There's a desperate shortage of peanuts, you know. The price has shot up, maybe the Govt has pulled a good deal on this.

7. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

And I thought the Americans were training birds of prey and had got confused.

8. Harrier - Ideal for light duty bombing of sand people and donkeys in countries that don't have an air force.

Tornados - Ideal for heavy duty bombing of grown ups in countries that have an air force. Can also do light duty bombing of sand people and donkeys in countries that don't have an air force..

You cut your budget and makes your choices.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 500k for a shagged airframe seems a good deal to me!

10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

You've met the ex-wife, then? :-D

12. i'd buy chuck norris

• Like Like x 2