Top 5 upper body bodyweight exercises.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SOLSTICE, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In my opinion, bodyweight exercises are some the best exercises in the world. If you can do a lot of any of these exercises, maybe you can do 100 press ups in a row, then just add some resistance to them until you can only manage 20 on so on and so forht. You can always increase the resistance as in weight lifting with these exercises. There seems to be a big emphasis in gymwork and i think that going back to basics could provide better results.

Note-these exercises are for strength and muscle endurance not size.

#5. Pull ups - same as chin ups but with an overhand grip.

#4. Chin ups - think we all know what these are.

#3. Press ups - regular/diamond/wide and elevated.

#2. Seated tricep dips - add a weight disc to your lap to increase intensity

#1. Parallel bar dips - lean forwards for more of an emphasis on the chest or keep straight for more on the triceps.

I am confident that performing these will increase your strength.
  2. as long as you are happy.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Well done you!

I've always found wanking helped. You'll be far happier......................................
  4. Leaves you with one peck bigger than t'other though :oops:
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Both hands, sir, both hands!. Takes practise but pecks build on both sides. Takes dedication, mind... :D
  6. i feel greasing the groove is best. every time you watch TV and the ads come on force yourself to do an exercise eg press ups till the programme comes back on. if you mange 20 pres ups, within 2 hours you would have done almost 100 press ups! when you can do press ups, but dont over train! search google for PAVEL- NAKED WARRIER e book its fantatic to learn new stuff
  7. What about your core?

What about your legs?

Its ok getting upper body strength up, but whats the point in being able to 100 press ups, if you cant sit up, run, actually walk with those jerry cans in your hand etc...

Work all over equally mate, and you'll get a lot mroe benefit
  8. After reading the list my first thought was 'squats, hanging leg raises, dragon flags, where are they'.
  9. This is about upper body, not core and not legs, please read the title.
  10. Buy some Olympic rings, everyone one of those exercises is then harder.
  11. core?

Do some bloody weights mate....your kidding your self if you think body excersise's(sp) will get you strong.
  12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I disagree... bodyweight exercises are one of the most beneficial ways of gaining functional strength in my book.

That is, if you want functional strength rather than muscles that look good but are not as effective...
  13. Why localise to upperbody?
  14. Define 'not as effective'.

By increasing your strength to weight ratio, loads at sub maximum are less taxing. ie your strength is more functional.

edit- I'm not implying calisthenics aren't of use. Both forms of training are decent tools, but the application depends on the result/goal you are looking to achieve.
  15. Again, have you read the title? Maybe you missed it, i'll make it big for you UPPER BODY this is not about core or leg exercises.

If you want a list of them I could roll of a variety of great exercises for both.

And, i'm not kidding myself, these exercises will definately get you strong, and if you are so weight orientated you could always add weights to these exercises, (like I said in my original post :roll: ) try doing pulls up with 30kg hanging from your waist and tell me that won't get you strong.