Top 10 Battle Scenes

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by OldRedCap, Sep 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Braveheart was shite,you never see any Scots being killed by and English soldiers and Mel Gibson is a cunt.

2. Not a very authoritative list is it? Where is the attack on the German guns at Brecourt Manor as portrayed in Episode Two (Day of Days) of Band Of Brothers? I would place this as a very close second behind the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. Also the last scene of Saving Private Ryan where they are defending the bridge against the Waffen SS seems to have been omitted as well.

Berlin

3. Any list that leaves Zulu off it is craaap.. and doesn't deserve to be posted here... To The Hole...

4. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Pants list. I am sure we can do better between us.

1. Opening of Saving Private Ryan
    2. Last battle in Saving Private Ryan
    3. Opening of Gladiator
    4. The Battle of Helms Deep in The Lord of the Rings
    5. The siege of Minas Tirith in The Lord of the Rings
    6. 300 - every battle scene
    7. The Lost Battalion
    8. Just about all of Black Hawk Down
    9. A lot of We Were Soldiers

and of course

10. Most of Zulu

5. Agreed, but for different reasons: A)Wallace was a 6' 6" Jock, not a 5' 8" Australian anti-Semite 2)The Scots stopped wearing "war paint" about a thousand years before Wallace and C)The Battle of Stirling Bridge was fought on and around - have you guessed yet? - a FCUKING BRIDGE! :x

Apart from that it was a good movie... :roll:

6. You're leaving out A Bridge Too Far?

7. I have Waterloo on vhs and the battle is pretty impressive all the way through.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

9. Agreed. Also Bastonge in Band of Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kha-bsqJ_9c

10. Seconded. Brilliant movie.

Good performances by Chris Plummer as Wellington and Rod Stiger as Boney.

Young Officer: "Sir, Napolean is in range. Should we try for a shot?"

Wellington: "Certainly Not! Commanders of Armies have better things to do than take pot-shots at one another!"

Wellington talking about the British Army: "I've got the scum of the earth!"

Napolean, on hearing the Prussians were attacking: "I made one mistake in my life - I should have burned Berlin!"

And my personal favourite, Blucher commanding the Prussians: "Raise high the Black Flags, children. No pity - no prisoners! I'll shoot any man I see with pity in him!" 8)

11. Heat, the bank heist pairs fire and manoeuvre. Oh yes.

12. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Ref A Bridge Too Far - good movie, not sure about 'Best Battle Scene.' Likewise, Band Of Brothers - great series and some excellent scenes but the scale of the films I put in my top 10 exceed them (IMHO). We could go for a top 100 !

13. What about Grabners Attack scene in the Bridge Too Far?