Paint & Tools Tools, Paints etc thread

offog

LE
Melted/dissolved spur as a home made solution...just don't use vallejo filler plastic putty as its shit
If my learned gentleman would cast his mind back to the early days of the DH2 he will recall this photo-

1564238960438.png

I think for small areas it works well but does take a lot of time to collect the shavings.

offog

LE
I use magic sculpt, I am not sure if they're the only UK retail sellers but they are a good firm to deal with
Mannequins & Putties
The small 100g 50gX2 lasts me ages
What's the life expectancy on it once opened?
I'm really looking for something I can push into seems and joins to be sanded down.

Off to do some drilling with screwdriver and see how the low revs work on plastic.
will post photos even if it goes completely wrong.

daz

LE
If my learned gentleman would cast his mind back to the early days of the DH2 he will recall this photo-

View attachment 406927

I think for small areas it works well but does take a lot of time to collect the shavings.
I was thinking of something a bit thicker

IMG_20180404_211022.jpg

offog

LE
Well that experiment went well. The low revs did not cause the plastic to melt to the bit.

smallest
1564243616828.png

next largest

1564243695025.png

The only problem with this one was that it drags the bit through the plastic but the reverse direction solved that.

large about 1mm

1564243809946.png

Problems-

The weight of the hand drill can make it difficult to use and a small tilt will break the bit.
The tolerances of the chuck and the drill head can make it move before it starts to cut.

ches

LE
My pin vice I picked up for buttons off Amazon a few years back is one of the best buys ever. I've haven't used my mini drill for drilling for yonks now, its become a sander/grinder instead. Much better control with a PV imo. Even used the bugger to drill out the stem of a 200mm busts' pipe that kept breaking. Now reinforced with wire thanks to the control of the PV.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
What's the life expectancy on it once opened?
I'm really looking for something I can push into seems and joins to be sanded down.

Off to do some drilling with screwdriver and see how the low revs work on plastic.
will post photos even if it goes completely wrong.
Not sure what you mean, once it's set it's as solid as anything short of metal.

Not sure what you mean, once it's set it's as solid as anything short of metal.
I believe he means once the packaging is opened how long with the UNUSED portion stay useful

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I believe he means once the packaging is opened how long with the UNUSED portion stay useful
If so mines is a good 5 years old and going strong. The latest version is supposed to last forever.

Latest Threads