Paint & Tools Tools, Paints etc thread

daz

LE
Cunning plan, a thread for all the paint, modelling tools and all the other bits and bobs that us modellers tend to acquire, either recommendations or “cry’s for help” welcome.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So which paint do you prefer @daz ? I favour acrylics, normally tamiya but have been experimenting with Vallejo.

daz

LE
So which paint do you prefer @daz ? I favour acrylics, normally tamiya but have been experimenting with Vallejo.
Normally I use Vallejo since I discovered airbrushing, however theres a review coming shortly on AK paint :)
When I restarted modelling, I did use Tamiya paint, however, it rarely gets used these days, mainly due to it being a potch too thin

It's arrived, Another recommendation from Si, at last, mind you fleabay and all the way from China and free post, only three weeks. so here I go. Give it a try and later on let you know how it goes.

my PE bending tool arrived today, £15 quid well spent as it goes. Here's an example, the top hatch internal handle, original blobby sanded off, and the new pe part bent to shape, four bends on a component less than 10mm, you can see them on the sprue frame, part number three.

the black knob raises and lowers to trap the pe part to be bent, in the picture is pe part number three the hatch grab handle.

this is my first use of it, it will come into it's own on larger folds.

thank you Gentleman, thank you
  • 1536343817706.gif

daz

LE
my PE bending tool arrived today, £15 quid well spent as it goes. Here's an example, the top hatch internal handle, original blobby sanded off, and the new pe part bent to shape, four bends on a component less than 10mm, you can see them on the sprue frame, part number three.

the black knob raises and lowers to trap the pe part to be bent, in the picture is pe part number three the hatch grab handle.

this is my first use of it, it will come into it's own on larger folds.

thank you Gentleman, thank you
Erh, brand and linky please oh secretive one :)

Gents, when I was about 10 I used to do a little modelling (though I gave up when about 13), and a question from then still sticks in my mind.

How the hell do you paint eyebrows on a figure less than 1” tall? It baffles me. The fine tremor control of an Olympic pistol shooter and the smallest paintbrush known to man?

daz

LE
Gents, when I was about 10 I used to do a little modelling (though I gave up when about 13), and a question from then still sticks in my mind.

How the hell do you paint eyebrows on a figure less than 1” tall? It baffles me. The fine tremor control of an Olympic pistol shooter and the smallest paintbrush known to man?
That's a question for the figure modellers, calling @Helm

daz

LE

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You don't, you just suggest it with shading.
I read in an "authoritative manual" that when painting facial details, paint what you would see from 30 metres! From that distance, I doubt if I could see the figure!

offog

LE
I read in an "authoritative manual" that when painting facial details, paint what you would see from 30 metres! From that distance, I doubt if I could see the figure!
Or have long enough arms.

On a side not, a can of army painter spray varnish I had in the garage split during the summer probably due to heat. Never seen that before.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Or have long enough arms.

On a side not, a can of army painter spray varnish I had in the garage split during the summer probably due to heat. Never seen that before.
Had a can of shaving foam in a pannier explode. I'd ridden my Honda 750 from Osnabruck to Hoek van Holland to get the ferry home. The pannier was resting against the exhaust and blew! The result was me landing on me arrse in the middle of a bunch of bemused Cloggies. They helped me sort the bike out, but two pairs of jeans and a woolly pully were no more.

ches

LE
Anyone umming & ahhing about whether to buy a pin vice go for it . I picked one up off amazon a while ago for less than £8 & i'm wondering how i ever managed without one.

I've had a fun weekend of drilling out a pipe bowl on a 200mm bust plus the barrels on a few 200mm & 120mm gats for some other figs. The control you have over the bit is excellent compared to a Dremel or similar. I find i am able to be far more precise - an elec drill even at low variable revs can 'jump' when you start off a job. With a decent quality set of nice sharp bits you are on a winner.

daz

LE
Anyone umming & ahhing about whether to buy a pin vice go for it . I picked one up off amazon a while ago for less than £8 & i'm wondering how i ever managed without one.

I've had a fun weekend of drilling out a pipe bowl on a 200mm bust plus the barrels on a few 200mm & 120mm gats for some other figs. The control you have over the bit is excellent compared to a Dremel or similar. I find i am able to be far more precise - an elec drill even at low variable revs can 'jump' when you start off a job. With a decent quality set of nice sharp bits you are on a winner.
I've also got one of those...… I use it for the big jobs :)

Quick question. Those of you that use airbrushes to do your painting, I assume you have some kind of spray booth set up? Did anyone have problems with not being near a window etc for extraction? I've seen one person use a paper towel(???) over the extractor so that particles don't get into the air, but I wasn't keen on the amount of noise it generated.

Photos of your setup would be appreciated :)

Latest Threads