Paint & Tools Tools, materials etc thread

Try and borrow one first, I gave mine away as I couldn't get on with it. What I did do, was visit my opticians and held a figure where I usually hold it when painting and got a pair of glasses for that focal length

That's the sort of cheap close-up reading-glasses with very plain frames that are available in lots of pharmacies etc? Or better quality ones with an actual prescription? I have been looking at the reading-glasses with an extra-close dioptre for photo re-touching, but was doubtful about headaches etc.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's the sort of cheap close-up reading-glasses with very plain frames that are available in lots of pharmacies etc? Or better quality ones with an actual prescription? I have been looking at the reading-glasses with an extra-close dioptre for photo re-touching, but was worried about headaches etc.
A lot use those cheap readers, I just went for prescription lenses as there was a two for one offer at the time and I didn't need a second pair for normal use.

offog

LE
I have two sets one for the loft and one for the painting table (money to burn age).

I have had no problem with the use as I have bifocals all the time. They all come with plastic lenses and a range of strengths.

These I don't like as the nose pads dig into my nose and make it difficult to use with the glasses.

1627153905173.png

This type I prefer as I find them more comfortable to use over time. Also come with a selection of lenses.

1627154474438.png

Mine were a lot cheaper and had no additional small lens. I did find that the side nut came loose and I added a layer of chammy to the front for comfort. The lights are as much use as an ashtray on at motorbike. Also being able to flip up the lens is a must so that you can look round and find the item you need.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Try and borrow one first, I gave mine away as I couldn't get on with it. What I did do, was visit my opticians and held a figure where I usually hold it when painting and got a pair of glasses for that focal length
Yeah, wot 'e said. I agree with my learned colleague. Better to get your eyes checked out before shelling out for something that may well sit in a drawer until he'll freezes over or Bugsy starts telling the truth!

A couple of thoughts...

Cleaning airbrushes - use Windolene glass cleaner when spraying at the end to flush out acrylic paint (including the blow back bit). Can dilute with water but it's a damn site cheaper than using thinners. Actually there are recipes online for using Windolen and pure alchohol as a replacement for thinners.

Brushes - cleaning them is far more important than you think. Never dip a brush so that the paint touches the metal. If you think you need to, you are using a smaller brush than the job needs. You think the best finest brush will suit every need but that's not true, you need a range of brushes. The very cheapo Ikea type brushes also have uses too. Think stippling, applying mud or even dry brushing. All of these tend to harm your "good" brushes.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted but it's late and after going through 6 pages, I am very... very... drunk ;-)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
A couple of thoughts...

Cleaning airbrushes - use Windolene glass cleaner when spraying at the end to flush out acrylic paint (including the blow back bit). Can dilute with water but it's a damn site cheaper than using thinners. Actually there are recipes online for using Windolen and pure alchohol as a replacement for thinners.

Brushes - cleaning them is far more important than you think. Never dip a brush so that the paint touches the metal. If you think you need to, you are using a smaller brush than the job needs. You think the best finest brush will suit every need but that's not true, you need a range of brushes. The very cheapo Ikea type brushes also have uses too. Think stippling, applying mud or even dry brushing. All of these tend to harm your "good" brushes.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted but it's late and after going through 6 pages, I am very... very... drunk ;-)
I normally separate metallic brushes from regular too, and as a brush starts to wear out it gets relegated into groundwork/stippling etc.