Paint & Tools Tools, materials etc thread

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

offog

LE
All of the gear but no effing idea.
I was thinking the other day that I have reached financial independence (kids gone, mortgage paid) that I can buy anything that takes my fancy. Competently using it is another question and I feel I have now entered the above class.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
on the subject of brushes, persusing my local Hobbycraft the other week I noticed their main line of 'good' paintbrushes are Daler Rowney branded - picked up a set of 4 for £10 - haven't tried them yet but they seem to be quite well regarded - wandering through Poundland on Monday they had twin brush sets on the shelves - so picked up a few more. you can't argue at 50p a brush now can you?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
on the subject of brushes, persusing my local Hobbycraft the other week I noticed their main line of 'good' paintbrushes are Daler Rowney branded - picked up a set of 4 for £10 - haven't tried them yet but they seem to be quite well regarded - wandering through Poundland on Monday they had twin brush sets on the shelves - so picked up a few more. you can't argue at 50p a brush now can you?
You can when said brush sheds hair all over your paint finish, test them on scrap first after giving them a good wash in soapy water first.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Let us know how you get on

yeah...you know how I said I was going to dip my toe back in the water with that Snowspeeder from Star Wars??

**gestures at large stack of boxes marked tamiya, airfix, ICM, italeri and hobbyboss**

**gestures again at around £200 worth of paint and tools**

**hangs head**

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
yeah...you know how I said I was going to dip my toe back in the water with that Snowspeeder from Star Wars??

**gestures at large stack of boxes marked tamiya, airfix, ICM, italeri and hobbyboss**

**gestures again at around £200 worth of paint and tools**

**hangs head**
0b25719f-ed3a-47ff-8005-4209adc3b360_text.gif

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

I've been looking at airbrush sets, but it's just not feasible where I am right now with the amount of space I have on and around my desk. I can get away with rattlecans but not really much else.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Daz

LE
I've been looking at airbrush sets, but it's just not feasible where I am right now with the amount of space I have on and around my desk. I can get away with rattlecans but not really much else.
A small non airtank version might do the job for you

Can anyone recommend a hand vice or clamp for small components?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
A small non airtank version might do the job for you

it's not so much the footprint of the compressor as the area I have to work in, if that makes sense. at least as long as I'm living in the place I am currently. and a lot of the reviews of the non-tank models - even the name brands - don't fill me with confidence.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
16268923133458453941191989661520.jpg

I would appear to have accumulated rather more instruments over the years than I first thought.

PM if you would like to try some for modelling

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
I want to get one of these Optivisor thingies

OP1761_white_72dpi.jpg

I can see cheapass ones with plastic lenses, and ones with glass lenses. Anyone got a recommendation?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I want to get one of these Optivisor thingies

OP1761_white_72dpi.jpg

I can see cheapass ones with plastic lenses, and ones with glass lenses. Anyone got a recommendation?
Try and borrow one first, I gave mine away as I couldn't get on with it. What I did do, was visit my opticians and held a figure where I usually hold it when painting and got a pair of glasses for that focal length

Latest Threads