Paint & Tools Tools, materials etc thread

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't but suspect like most model branded products they are overpriced tatt, those I posted are very good quality for the price. If you want some more expensive but top quality brushes
These are my go to good brushes

good??? for that kind of money they must be fcuking phenomenal. ;)

Daz

LE
good to know - how would you rate them more in general terms though? would you say their prices for their new-tool offerings are justified in your opinion?
It varies, to give a smaller example, the last but one 1.72 scale Spit was rather good, the newer version, they removed all the internal details and went back to a crap pilot on a seat approach - the next advice would be to read the reviews/build logs of the kit you fancy online before parting with your cash.

Some of the kits are quite well detailed, but......and there's always a but, it comes back to buildability, personally, I'm not a fan of the softish plastic they tend to use, some of the tolerances are oddly too tight on the new kits, there's also a tendency for over thick spur gates

Just as a comparison, the top pic shows the Eduards 1/48 scale BF109E, below is the new (at the time) Airfix BF109E
WP_20170701_004.jpg
WP_20170628_001.jpg

ches

LE
@maguire I'd recommend getting over to Scalemates, setting up an account & use that massive database as a start point for any kits you may be interested in. There is very little in the market that isn't there. Every kit has an associated review, list of AM parts for it, list of options, a history of the kit & its life on the shelf, everything you need to know. Obvs new releases may have fewer build reviews.
YT is also good for reviews - type in the kit & i'd almost guarantee that you will get a lot of hits back.
It used to be that Tamiya were the gaffers with a lot of their kits but they had been superceded by a mass of smaller manufacturers, some expensive, some very cheap & knocking out high quality stuff for the same price as an old Tam or Dragon kit - Rye Fields Models a case in point. Their armour stuff is pretty top notch & prices esp on Ebay can be extremely good compared to the big boys.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
good??? for that kind of money they must be fcuking phenomenal. ;)
If you want a decent brush, you have got to be prepared to pay for it. Most arts and crafts places ie; The Works, or The Range sell reasonable quality brushes for half the price of sable. I would suggest starting with some of these, then as your skills develop, but better quality.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you want a decent brush, you have got to be prepared to pay for it. Most arts and crafts places ie; The Works, or The Range sell reasonable quality brushes for half the price of sable. I would suggest starting with some of these, then as your skills develop, but better quality.
Well said, a good brush won't make you a good painter, but good painting requires good brushes eventually.

ches

LE
Brushes - very good points and as a start point for anyone on a budget or dabbling & not wanting to spend loads I'd recommend the Pro-Arte series. I've used these for figs & armour for a while & for the basics they are good for the price. For detailing, blending & all that stuff i'm still a whore to the sable - got a few that get cared for & at nearly a tenner a pop its worth it.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well said, a good brush won't make you a good painter, but good painting requires good brushes eventually.
Amen to that. I know a guy who has all the "named" equipment,, top of the range brushes, drills, files - you name it, he has it. What he hasn't got is a clue as to what he is doing with it! All of the gear but no effing idea. This is the same idiot who built a diorama of HMS Hood landing troops at Normandy and used a series 3 Land Rover in an LRDG diorama. The man is hopeless, but he's happy. Thick, but happy.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Amen to that. I know a guy who has all the "named" equipment,, top of the range brushes, drills, files - you name it, he has it. What he hasn't got is a clue as to what he is doing with it! All of the gear but no effing idea. This is the same idiot who built a diorama of HMS Hood landing troops at Normandy and used a series 3 Land Rover in an LRDG diorama. The man is hopeless, but he's happy. Thick, but happy.

“I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No. That's where it all falls down, of course."​

Daz

LE

“I'd far rather be happy than right any day."​

"And are you?"​

"No. That's where it all falls down, of course."​

Slartibartfast Walt :)

Batman1996

Swinger
F9D4C805-D729-4031-ACDB-C98658D0ADAB.jpeg
This filler arrived today. Saw a bloke using it on a utube vid and thought I’d give it a try. Apparently it can be re-manipulated/cleaned up when it’s gone off by adding a touch of water, which hopefully in my case will reduce the amount of dust created when sanding back (funny how I can use plaster, mortar, concrete and pollyfilla with little overspill, but filling a joint in 1:32 / 1:48 it seems to go everywhere). Anybody else had any dabbling with this and if so how did you get on with it? Universally accepted ‘coke can scale’ used to indicate size of tube

Daz

LE
View attachment 570352This filler arrived today. Saw a bloke using it on a utube vid and thought I’d give it a try. Apparently it can be re-manipulated/cleaned up when it’s gone off by adding a touch of water, which hopefully in my case will reduce the amount of dust created when sanding back (funny how I can use plaster, mortar, concrete and pollyfilla with little overspill, but filling a joint in 1:32 / 1:48 it seems to go everywhere). Anybody else had any dabbling with this and if so how did you get on with it? Universally accepted ‘coke can scale’ used to indicate size of tube
And paints liquid, not to mention wet sanding is right out of the window, as with any filler there are pluses and minuses

Batman1996

Swinger
And paints liquid, not to mention wet sanding is right out of the window, as with any filler there are pluses and minuses
I get what you mean, and I’m a bit sceptical myself, but apparently it takes primer/paint well. Regarding the clean up with water, think I’d use a damp cotton bud to clear up excess then dry sand, as knowing my luck I’d clean out the gap I‘d filled.

Daz

LE
I get what you mean, and I’m a bit sceptical myself, but apparently it takes primer/paint well. Regarding the clean up with water, think I’d use a damp cotton bud to clear up excess then dry sand, as knowing my luck I’d clean out the gap I‘d filled.
I did try the Vallejo Plastic Putty version, ended up in the bin

I got dragged into Ikea today. As I was escaping through the children's section towards the restaurant, I saw an area containing children's arty stuff. Among this was a little pack of assorted brushes that might be worth a punt - some generally nice looking 'come-in-handy' type stuff.

The pack was from a range called 'Mala' and was only 2 euros.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I got dragged into Ikea today. As I was escaping through the children's section towards the restaurant, I saw an area containing children's arty stuff. Among this was a little pack of assorted brushes that might be worth a punt - some generally nice looking 'come-in-handy' type stuff.

The pack was from a range called 'Mala' and was only 2 euros.

Probably be ok for painting scenery in a diorama but look too big for anything else.

Batman1996

Swinger
Little money saver - this is what I use for stirring Tamiya paints. Basic milk frother, with the curly spring wire thing at the end cut off. Costs £1, as opposed to Trumpeters £10-£15 offering, or Tamiyas £4.50ish metal stick. Takes one AA battery, I’m still on the same one I fitted about 3 years ago. The ring bit at the top measure slightly bigger than the Trumpeter model (16mm as opposed to 10mm), so may not fit in enamel tins.

Edited to add - found in IKEA, various pound shops, B&M etc

4706E1E3-C259-4098-A42F-E17D2FED5179.jpeg

offog

LE
I needed to make a kettle for the Benghazi burner but my fingers are too big and get in the way when marking out lines to be cut.

IMG_20210614_172212436.jpg

A small paint scraper with two magnets to hold it down worked very well. I think they are 6mm magnets.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I needed to make a kettle for the Benghazi burner but my fingers are too big and get in the way when marking out lines to be cut.

View attachment 581439
A small paint scraper with two magnets to hold it down worked very well. I think they are 6mm magnets.
Do you think this might help?
box.thumb.jpg.7229ddc1fed11910e034924ca99f7bb7_kindlephoto-24663847.jpg

Latest Threads