too tall public duties?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by lofty89, Mar 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi

im currently awaiting my phase 1 training for the coldstream guards and wondered if my height would prevent me from taking part in cerimonal roles as im 6ft9 does anyone know if you can be too tall for the cerimonial role?

cheers

2. You cannot be too tall for PD, however, your regimental sport of sheep love, may be a bit difficult for you.

3. intresting hes put my height to shame thanks for that! and a nice little mandatory dig from a gren! :D

4. Haha, get used to it matey, and good luck with your training.

5. theres a lad in the irish guards who was taller than you i think, i saw him once and he was absolutely huge, like a giraffe man.

6. yea hairy posted the link to it

7. Bigger target tho!

8. I realise this is a bit off-thread, but how do they do that with the button spacing on the uniforms? There's obviously not a problem with the Grenadier Guards, but what about the rest? If you've this fella at six-nine and another at, say, five-five, does the tall fella get more buttons on his tunic or are the spaces between just made bigger?

MsG

9. They just account for the length of tunic and space them accordingly, as long as they are above the belt, it makes no odds as to the height of the soldier.

In twos threes or whatever, as long as they have a line to go along, they make them fit, and no, they dont use more buttons to suit, just a slightly bigger gap between buttons.
    In all honesty, to the very untrained eye, you cant tell.

10. Fear not - there are loads of tall men in the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards. 6' 9" would be above average but not a showstopper.

As for Public Duties no major problem but you may need a special scarlet tunic made to measure as opposed to off the shelf.

Good Luck!

11. cheers for the answers! what about trooping the colour would i be to tall for that or still allright?

12. Dont think it will be a problem

13. Sounds like you want to dodge all the PD stuff....

Why not try a line Regiment?

14. nah im up for the public duties i chose coldstream guards over the royal anglians