• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Too tall Guardsman

#3
:oops: Didn't realise this was an old story. Only saw it today. Brings to mind a young lad who joined the Junior Leaders with me back in 1962. He was 6' 10" at the age of fifteen 8O . Sadly! he didn't make it as a soldier after it was discovered he was a complete whimp. Boys can be such utter barstewards.
 
#4
The last gasps of the famous 'Silly Season'. Reported on Sky News but apparently no where else. How does this make the Army look ridiculous?
 
#5
I just feel parading a 7 foot Guardsman next to a 5 foot Guardsman especially in a ceremonial scenario makes the changing of the guard more a circus freak show rather than the traditional pride bearing honour it is.

We can do without the daft spin.
 
#8
Martyn has now befriended Matthew Else, 25, who at five feet two inches is the smallest soldier in the Guards.
When did a minimum height requirement for the Household Division go? I'm sure I read somewhere that it used to be the case that to join the Household Cavalry or the Foot Guards you had to be at least 5'10''. Why was this dropped?
 
#10
big_mad_ejit said:
Martyn has now befriended Matthew Else, 25, who at five feet two inches is the smallest soldier in the Guards.
When did a minimum height requirement for the Household Division go? I'm sure I read somewhere that it used to be the case that to join the Household Cavalry or the Foot Guards you had to be at least 5'10''. Why was this dropped?
But more importantly, is this the longest gap between posts on ARRSE?
 
#13
the_butler said:
big_mad_ejit said:
Martyn has now befriended Matthew Else, 25, who at five feet two inches is the smallest soldier in the Guards.
When did a minimum height requirement for the Household Division go? I'm sure I read somewhere that it used to be the case that to join the Household Cavalry or the Foot Guards you had to be at least 5'10''. Why was this dropped?
But more importantly, is this the longest gap between posts on ARRSE?
I somehow found this thread while searching ARRSE for views and opinions on the PRC v ROC confrontation over the Taiwan Straits. I never noticed the dates on the posts 8O
 
#14
big_mad_ejit said:
the_butler said:
big_mad_ejit said:
Martyn has now befriended Matthew Else, 25, who at five feet two inches is the smallest soldier in the Guards.
When did a minimum height requirement for the Household Division go? I'm sure I read somewhere that it used to be the case that to join the Household Cavalry or the Foot Guards you had to be at least 5'10''. Why was this dropped?
But more importantly, is this the longest gap between posts on ARRSE?
I somehow found this thread while searching ARRSE for views and opinions on the PRC v ROC confrontation over the Taiwan Straits. I never noticed the dates on the posts 8O
I believe the rule on height has been relaxed due to recruitment level, the reason a height restriction was imposed in the first place way back when but for the opposite effect. The rule is now the same for all infantry regiments 165cm.
You still can't ovulate though. :roll:
 
#15
the_butler said:
big_mad_ejit said:
the_butler said:
big_mad_ejit said:
Martyn has now befriended Matthew Else, 25, who at five feet two inches is the smallest soldier in the Guards.
When did a minimum height requirement for the Household Division go? I'm sure I read somewhere that it used to be the case that to join the Household Cavalry or the Foot Guards you had to be at least 5'10''. Why was this dropped?
But more importantly, is this the longest gap between posts on ARRSE?
I somehow found this thread while searching ARRSE for views and opinions on the PRC v ROC confrontation over the Taiwan Straits. I never noticed the dates on the posts 8O
I believe the rule on height has been relaxed due to recruitment level, the reason a height restriction was imposed in the first place way back when but for the opposite effect. The rule is now the same for all infantry regiments 165cm.
You still can't ovulate though. :roll:
Thanks the_butler, interesting. The difference I've noticed in old films of the Brigade of Guards from the 20s and 30s is that it's not so much that they look taller than today's Guardsmen as that they seem to be of a more uniform height, eg;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwvX8P0ZRKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUw1-u2zntc

(a Corps of Drums seems to have been about half a battalion strong in those days)
 
#19
OldChap said:
The last gasps of the famous 'Silly Season'. Reported on Sky News but apparently no where else. How does this make the Army look ridiculous?
Statements like this perhaps (and yes I realize the post is almost 5 years old)

Quote from Martyn Walters:

"I saw a Guard on the news when I was 13 years old and I remember giving my mother a tap and saying, `Mummy, Mummy, I am going to be one of those"

At 13 years old and still saying " mummy, mummy" hardly stands out as a future awe inspiring fearless guardsman. :lol:
 
#20
Nothing changes, when I was in Junior Regt we had a guy with Big feet who had special boots made, in the meantime they gave him a pair of extra large commado (screw on sole) boots we used to use for mountain walking!! whilst me and another smaller guy got those old style best shoes without the toecaps and smart leather soles...made nice crunchy noises, just like my ammo boots.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts