Too old?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by billywhu, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Gents.

I'm thinking about joining the TA, but am not sure whether I'm now too old to 'fit in'.

I'm 28 years old and live in South East London. Fitness and attitude isn't a problem as I'm a self employed Personal Trainer.

I'm looking at either 4 Para or another local infantry platoon.

I was medically discharged at the age of 17 back in 98 during basic training, and have always felt that I have a score to settle with myself and get involved to do my bit.

My question is although I fall into the age requirements, are the TA looking at the younger generation (18-23) to join and would I be a little too old to get started?

Cheers

2. 28 isn't a problem.

Southeast London, though....

What are you waiting for?

3. Absolutely not too old. My hubbie joined 3 years ago at the age of 34 with no military background whatsoever. Partly my fault cos he'd been on about it for years and i turned to him one day and said 'for christ's sake stop talking about it and just bloody do it!!' So he joined local TA, which was RLC, changed to REME and is now getting a 'suntan' till November! No regrets for either of us but i did tell him that next time he has a mid life crisis could he please do something normal like buy a motorbike, take up drag racing, hang gliding, parachuting......................etc

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm 36 and going back in after 15 years of doing nowt.

Go for it. :D

5. You're both right aint ya?!

Just completed the online form and emailed 10 Coy in sunny Croydon.

Cheers.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If it helps - I'm not a fitness trainer - I'm a desk jockey somewhat going to seed. This is my LAST chance to lose the pot-belly, and the first practice I'll have getting used to being called 'grandad'.

7. Welcome to the site, Angoria.

If he changed from the RLC to the REEMs, he deserves all he got! :D

Litotes

8. Think he only joined to fiddle with rovers. Thing is before someone else paid for all the new parts it would have been cheaper for him to call 0898 for 8 hours a day!!

9. I'm 43, i finished my recruit training three months ago now. I wasn't the oldest there either.

10. Go for it mate. Age just isn't an issue if you're fit enough and have the right attitude.
    Someone I know was 44 when they joined (with no military experience might I add, is that a record...?) although they had to join AGC coz of the age thing. It's easy to transfer around once you're in, the guy in question even tried P coy with 4 para 3 years later (didnt pass but put in a respectable performance and wants to try again).
    So what you waiting for?? JFDI!

11. Perhaps he should have joined the Vet. Corps then.

Ahhh. My coat. Thank you.

And a taxi?

You're too kind.

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

billywhu,

There are problems with various techie bits of the server at the moment, so your email may well get lost in space.

You would be best to call the numbers shown on the website www.4para.com or PM Hassle on here.

Duke

13. I joined at 28, and hope to rejoin when I get back into the country next year (when I'll be 31). As long as you don't mind missing the pop references from your peers you'll be right.

14. I joined at 17, left at 22 and hope to rejoin in the next 12 months (Mrs. EX_STAB and situation permitting!)

I'm now 38.

Tip: Get running!