Too old to join the army?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by UberSoldat, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks, new here!

I need some advice, I have applied for the army, completed the BARB test etc... I turned 28 in January and was wondering if any of you feel that at age 28, it is considered too old to join? I am only thinking of joining for the minimum service (4 years) as a heating and plumbing engineer.

what do you think?

appreciate all comments, thanks!
  2. I think that your username takes the piss given your aspirations
  3. it's only a username, don't take offence.
  4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

5. Are you from the Cafe Davide in Leek? I hope not for your sake! :D
    seventh post down!
  6. Only you can decide if you are too old. Age wise, you are not, but you've got to decide if you think you can manage the fitness and being with a bunch of teenager recruits.
  7. 28 is old, but if you can fit in with the 17 and 18 year olds you will be working with and take a limited amount of crap from the 22 to 24 year olds that will be your JNCO's, plus stay fit and by this I mean not going sick all the time, then No Problem.

Get trade qualified as soon as you can and get yourself to a busy squadron (9 or 59 would give you extra credibility) and get on tour. Then apply to go Clk of Wks as soon as possible. This is the only way you will catch up with your pier group. That said this will take you 6 to 8 years to get to SSgt. That will make you 35 ish.

That’s assuming you “fit in”, don’t fu*k up and everything falls into place. It will be very hard to have a balanced life because you will have limited scope to enjoy yourself as you will have to be particularly driven to develop a career.

At 28 you will have one thing to bring to the party “maturity” if you act like one of the lads you will be classed as a knob or a walt. Give it a go, but be prepared to learn quickly, work hard and take unlimited crap until you can prove that your up to the task of being one of the oldest ever sprog sapper’s.
  8. Dont even concern yrself with your age...i rejoined at 29,and your maturity (should u have some!!) will stand you in good for your fitness,etc....a fair percentage of the whipper snappers are downgraded or looking for any opportunity to go sick (especially when Phys involves a run over 1 n half miles or anything other than football!!)
  9. Only joining for min of 4 years may be hard if you want a trade in RE

Finish phase 1 and 2 (about 6 months)
    1st unit while awaiting trade course usually 2 -3 years
    Restriction on most trades is usually 2 years

Your age may go for you as may any quals you already have for trades to get early course although I believe the RE not short of plumbers at the moment.
  10. The corp is short of fitters, however I bet they will try and press you into the signals stream.
  11. ah, thanks for your replies! ;)

I am prepared to do what ever it takes to succeed in the RE, my fitness is excellent - I know it sounds bigheaded lol, but I am always training, running, weights, thai boxing etc... so I'm not concerned with the fitness side.

although I am 28, I am definately at my strongest and fittest than I have ever been in my life, so that should be a plus. I have no problems taking orders from soldiers/officers younger - they have obviously worked hard to get there, so that's not an issue.

I believe joining the army is the best decision I have ever made lol as I have spent a few years going from job to job and not really 'succeeding'.

so, yeh, I am very hungry for this career and life change.

any other advice will be greatly appreciated!
  12. Have you tried working on your self confidence.
  13. I am a bit confused 1minute you say you want to join for minimum time 4 years then you talk about a career?
  14. Perhaps he’s confused and talking about his carer, bless the old thing
  15. Depends how everything goes, I may stay on longer, but I thought 4 years would be a realistic aim at the moment.