Too old for joining up?

Evening all may be posting in the wrong place but thought I'd ask any ways. I'm currently in the process of joining up and have my selection date I'm 28 years old and I would like to say I'm pretty fit at my age. My 1.5 mile run time is 10.32 and recovery after the run is fast and I'm pretty strong and I'm in a job where I'm constantly active and lifting heavy stuff etc would anyone say 28 is too old to join up I know the age limit is 32 but seeing what everyone else thinks. Cheers

You would be too old if the age limit was less.
You are a relative youngster in today's terms of life expectancy & pensions etc.
It's in your own head, nobody elses'.
Just consider relationships and obligations if you have any...very seriously.

Go for it!

As long as you are reasonably fit, motivated and have no baggage which will encumber you through the initial phases of training you are golden. I spent a couple of years in a unit at my depot and saw blokes at the border line of age acceptance go through basic training. One had a couple of family issues during the process and had to cope with those on top of basic training. Both went on to become good professional soldiers achieving promotion within their chosen paths.

I recently spoke with members of the German Army who are having recruitment and retention issues. The chap who sparked the discussion was a newly re-enlisted Warrant Officer at the age of 40 something. He had been a career soldier and left when his time was up, he gave being a civvy a go for a couple of years and then jumped back in taking advantage of the longer service period and ability to re-enlist at his old rank. Two of the chaps in the discussion were S/Sgt to WO2 equivalents in pointy end roles within the Bundeswehr, they have the ability to continue their careers until the age of 62 - and will happily do so if they can stay with the regiment.

So being 28 is not an issue.

R4v3n

Clanker
Evening all may be posting in the wrong place but thought I'd ask any ways. I'm currently in the process of joining up and have my selection date I'm 28 years old and I would like to say I'm pretty fit at my age. My 1.5 mile run time is 10.32 and recovery after the run is fast and I'm pretty strong and I'm in a job where I'm constantly active and lifting heavy stuff etc would anyone say 28 is too old to join up I know the age limit is 32 but seeing what everyone else thinks. Cheers
I'm 28 & just had selection. I will turn 29 during phase 1. When I first started the application a CSM said I was old to be joining & I was a bit disheartened. I mentioned it in passing to recruitment due to worries about promotion and they loved that I was older, because I was less likely to behave like a ****. They say use the maturity to your advantage, I did & I did really well. You bring knowledge, maturity and a hunger that you've seen civvy st & you know that you want more.
Don't let your own head tell you you're too old & you'll be golden!
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest Threads