Too much PT?

#1
I was at an Easter egg hunt at some country house in Dorset yesterday with the Mrs and the spawn...and four hundred other screaming time bandits..
I got gassing to a lovely (very) old couple who worked in the grounds.
The lad was an ex-bootie hofficer who served yeeeears ago, when Royal was still organised into Battalions.
Anyway, he mentioned that he attended reunions down at Lympstone, and during the last he had been chatting to some Falklands veterans, and he mentioned something that gave me a start.
One fella he had been chatting with, claimed that out of twenty five men he had served only five remained. The majority of the men had died from heart related illness.
The bootie postulated that this was down to over training of the men, too much weight, too far, too often,
The chat was cut short as I had to clear off to get to the face painting stand, or the world was going to stop, but what he said niggled at me, as I had been reading Udipur's thread on cholestral the night before.
I haven't got any data to back this up, only an old man's word...I don't know if this has any weight, and I doubt any sort of study has been conducted into it, but it sort of “feels” right.

Any medical types care to lend any weight to this, or blow this out of the water?
 
#2
Too much PT?

I tried and tried and really tried to point this out to the PTO unfortunately him being ex Para --------
 
#3
I don't think to much PT is the problem, it's stopping it suddenly. Think about that rower, Steve Redgrave, his missus was a Doctor I believe, she kept him training after he'd retired progressively getting easier so he wouldn't end up with lots of muscle around his heart turning to fat. Bit like doing a warm down after PT so you didn't damage anything.
 
#4
I read your article with some interest having taken up boxing again at the age of 54!!!

Personally I have always maintained a good level of fitness however when I have been forced to rest through injury, illness etc I have been suprised and concerned how quickly my fitness deteriorated so maybe Wet blobby's point has some truth behind it.
 
#5
Think of how much you eat when your doing a lot of phys, and how much you drink whilst on the p1ss compared to civvies.

I did a year in the Army as mobilised TA, as soon as I came out I started to gain weight quickly as I carried on the habits, I've since moderated my diet and started hitting the phys hard and shifted the weight, but in just weeks I was struggling to get into my jeans and getting podgy.

I once read somewhere that the risk of diabetes is higher amongst soldiers than civvies, probably because of high energy sugary foods, how often have you been on OPs or on exercise and eaten a pack of Haribo or a mars bar as well as your 24-hr ratpack or yank MREs.

So maybe you're onto something.
 
#6
wet_blobby said:
I don't think to much PT is the problem, it's stopping it suddenly. Think about that rower, Steve Redgrave, his missus was a Doctor I believe, she kept him training after he'd retired progressively getting easier so he wouldn't end up with lots of muscle around his heart turning to fat. Bit like doing a warm down after PT so you didn't damage anything.
Muscle doesnt turn to fat, nor does fat turn to muscle......ner ner ner ner!
 
#7
It must be true 'cos the bloke that "invented" running (popularised it), died of a heart attack at a young age.

Always been my excuse for taking it as slowly as I could. :)
 
#8
kingburn_99 said:
wet_blobby said:
I don't think to much PT is the problem, it's stopping it suddenly. Think about that rower, Steve Redgrave, his missus was a Doctor I believe, she kept him training after he'd retired progressively getting easier so he wouldn't end up with lots of muscle around his heart turning to fat. Bit like doing a warm down after PT so you didn't damage anything.
Muscle doesnt turn to fat, nor does fat turn to muscle......ner ner ner ner!
Yeah thanks for that, my original point of stopping it suddenly still stands though.
 
#9
PT is a thing I have experimented with over the past 25 odd years of service. On occasion I have even attended up to 2 sessions a week (not too often of course). I too believe that to much PT is bad for people. I reckon that if God had expected us to beast our bodies on a regular basis then he would have given us big bulging muscles rather than the wobbly flab that so many of us have.

No, PT is not natural, it is a thing to do two or three times a year, usually just after the Xmas/New Year break for a week or two before the sick notes come out and the excuses of too much work to be done so, unfortunately 'I can't make PT this morning, if only it was at 3pm so I could do it as well'.
 
#10
There was a story or Urban Myth that as few of as 30% make it from 40 on retirement through to 55 to full pension that was a while ago and things may have changed .
 
#12
Come to 11Sigs you get to do PT at 0630, twice a week. Some guys were having to get up at 0430/0500, cos they lived out. Well that was until the MO got a sad on, now we do our own
 
#13
I still think my theory about sugary stuff is correct, I just need a willing volunteer to inject a solution (2 parts screech 1 parts water) into their bloodstream, if they're not seriously ill or dead in six months I will be willing to admit I was wrong.
 
#14
When I look at old squadron photos from the early eighties, the bulk (unintentional) of those who are sadly no longer with us passed away from cancer though not all were smokers. Of course those were the days when you couldn't see from one side of the crew room to the other, so while there were non smokers, the deaths could still have been smoke related.

And many of those in the piccies didn't do any PT as they already had knackered knees, ankles etc. I don't think the number of deaths is disproportionately high compared to civvy street. Though of course most old REME soldiers don't actually die, they become artisans.
 
#15
mark1234 said:
I still think my theory about sugary stuff is correct, I just need a willing volunteer to inject a solution (2 parts screech 1 parts water) into their bloodstream, if they're not seriously ill or dead in six months I will be willing to admit I was wrong.
Take Tropper as your volunteer, he has done everything else.
 
#16
Funny old business - longevity.

I was thinking of a chap I have met recently. He's just been to his mum's 100th birthday party. He is one of 10 siblings and so is his mum.

And a chap I used to work with, who didn't smoke or drink and cycled/walked everywhere. He dropped dead from a heart attack aged around 40.

There's a Life Expectancy Calculator here:

http://calculator.livingto100.com/

No doubt, it's b0ll0x. It reckons I won't fall off my perch until I'm 84. It'll be a record in our family.
 
#17
What about all the buildings and areas we work in, which is riddled with asbestos? Civvy street would have it stripped out and cleaned up straight away. We get a shite paint job and a well placed sticker, not to disturb the dust. Impossible when the wind blows, cos it whistles through the roof cavities, and covers everything in a talc like dust. Nothings said, until they go into the quarter areas to refurb the houses and everything gets sealed off. Litigation potential there surely
 
#18
ringdoby said:
mark1234 said:
I still think my theory about sugary stuff is correct, I just need a willing volunteer to inject a solution (2 parts screech 1 parts water) into their bloodstream, if they're not seriously ill or dead in six months I will be willing to admit I was wrong.
Take Tropper as your volunteer, he has done everything else.
Having ended the cold war, deterred the Argies from trying again and sorted out those pesky Bogwogs, all whilst photographing the entire thing, he is far too nails as a test subject for the results to mean anything.
 
#19
jarrod248 said:
mark1234 said:
ringdoby said:
mark1234 said:
I still think my theory about sugary stuff is correct, I just need a willing volunteer to inject a solution (2 parts screech 1 parts water) into their bloodstream, if they're not seriously ill or dead in six months I will be willing to admit I was wrong.
Take Tropper as your volunteer, he has done everything else.
Having ended the cold war, deterred the Argies from trying again and sorted out those pesky Bogwogs, all whilst photographing the entire thing, he is far too nails as a test subject for the results to mean anything.
What we need is a tiny bit of his DNA
Well volunteered Jarrod, I'll put you in charge of extracting it.
 
#20
mark1234 said:
jarrod248 said:
mark1234 said:
ringdoby said:
mark1234 said:
I still think my theory about sugary stuff is correct, I just need a willing volunteer to inject a solution (2 parts screech 1 parts water) into their bloodstream, if they're not seriously ill or dead in six months I will be willing to admit I was wrong.
Take Tropper as your volunteer, he has done everything else.
Having ended the cold war, deterred the Argies from trying again and sorted out those pesky Bogwogs, all whilst photographing the entire thing, he is far too nails as a test subject for the results to mean anything.
What we need is a tiny bit of his DNA
Well volunteered Jarrod, I'll put you in charge of extracting it.
Can you take DNA from the piss?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
theoriginalphantom The NAAFI Bar 61
E The NAAFI Bar 23
God-fearing Pagan The NAAFI Bar 118

Similar threads

Latest Threads