Too much pressure on athletes?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fang_Farrier, Aug 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Given the apologies coming out of the various athletes in most event interviews, is too much pressure being put on them to win a gold rather than just actually do their best.

They do seem to be putting in genuine effort (rather than some nation's badmington teams!)

So why do they feel the need to constantly apologise.
  2. I'd be embarrassed if i'd taken so much money from the public purse and performed so badly.
  3. Who's performed badly ???
  4. Nothing comapred to the pressures I'd force upon Jessica Ennis' dusky anus and colon!
    • Like Like x 1

5. I wondered this. Are they humble and polite like good mannered Brits or fearful of loss of funding, benefits and lifestyle (loss of sponsored wheels etc).

Never liked America's excessive self-belief and sense of entitlement towards sport as it created sharp-elbowed people and a nation insulated and self-consumed, and off to war when their sensibilities are offended.

The media's narrative is nearing hysteria and we all know has nothing to do with what the individual is experiencing. However well polished.
  6. It's not the taking part that counts, it's the winning.
  7. Public Purse? It depends if you include lottery funds as "Public Purse", which I believe make up the majority of funds granted. Quite frankly, I think it is money well spent when I hear what is being said about the Games and UK around the Region. Our international stock has risen considerably.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd like to see the figures, shooting cost 30 million up from 20 million and is being torn down asap! The lottery has helped fund things but the tax payer stumped up for most of the arenas and venues not to mention the security bill!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
  9. Because second (silver), is the first of the losers.

The yogurt knitters that insist on non-competitiveness at school sports days must be having a fit at the moment.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I heard the fag end of a report on the BBC which I assumed to be forces personnel speaking about the problems of reintegrating with life on "Civvy Street".
    Not a bit of it, it was soon to retire sportswomen bemoaning the day when the lottery funding would switch off and they would have to deal with life, the universe and everything on their own.
    Sir John Major really has a lot to answer for.

11. I wouldn’t say that the pressure is anything other than self induced; performing in top end competition is bread and butter for these guys. The clincher is they know they will never get a home games again, that once in a life time opportunity. When they don’t perform, it must be shattering knowing you wont get that chance again, it shows that they are driven and focused. Nothing to be ashamed of.
    • Like Like x 1