Too Much Dib, Dib, Dib ...

That's the one. The advice ended with, if you were unable to control your beastly urges, to"go and speak to your scoutmaster. He will know what to do."

Cubs had no sign of paedos, I guess we were all too young or ugly for them. ATC on the other hand, one of the Adult Instructors was known as Backs To The Wall, and all new cadets were advised by the other cadets not to be alone with him. My mum went to one of our squadron display days, pinged him, and said the same to me, she'd known him in WW2 as an airman stationed near her village and he was at it then too. Fuckall done about him though, it was the early 80s and the whole predator thing hadn't really come out.
I too had an unsavoury squadron OC in ATC. Blokes were safe, but he had his 'favourites' amongst the girls. Promotions were dished out based on chebbage, which made for some interesting times on exercises when some bird with a set of sergeant stripes, a cracking pair of norks but no map reading knowledge got a squad of cadets lost.

Cue rescue by the relevant authorities.

Added to which, he was an unpleasant bastard to anyone who was male or not his type.

He did promote me to cpl, but only grudgingly because everyone was taking orders from me anyway.

Whether he nonced anyone I don't know, but I like to think he'd be filtered out now.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I didn’t join the Scouts until I was 13. Being an ugly kid, I was never molested, but looking back, there was some strange blokes around Scouting.
My mate, who encouraged me to join, is still involved in the organisation. They do some great work.
But they employed some weirdos in the past.
Baden Powell being one of them.

Tool

LE
Yet another reason to join the Boys' Brigade... having a slogan of "Bob a Job" was also a long-term Emp Mong move.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Picture of my grandad in his "scouts" uniform .

Never told us where it was taken though .
View attachment 450791
I had a German penpal for about a couple of letters. Trying to explain that I was in the ACF and somehow possibly making it sound like the Hitlerjugend (in the late 60s - early 70s) brought everything to a hard stop.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was talked into joining the Scouts as a lad. For some odd reason, I was made a Patrol Leader not long after. You have to choose a name for your bunch, as long as no one else nicked it. I wanted to choose ‘beaver’ as the name, but being the dick I was (still am, really), put it to the group vote. So we ended up with something different.
I wasn’t that obsessed with beaver, I had just seen the Leslie Nielsen film, and like all my school mates, thought it funny.
I deferred to a couple of juveniles. Story of my life, right there.
You can still be a Beaver of you so choose. Just follow this link.

I had a German penpal for about a couple of letters. Trying to explain that I was in the ACF and somehow possibly making it sound like the Hitlerjugend (in the late 60s - early 70s) brought everything to a hard stop.
He thought you were walting as a Junior Leader.

The Scouts were just the same as the Hitler youth, good healthy fun around the campfire, singing songs and earning badges and a profound genocidal hatred of inferior races.

Maybe not the last bit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The NAAFI Bar 26
gaijin Royal Navy 1
theoriginalphantom The NAAFI Bar 61

Latest Threads