Too Many Elderly--What to Do, What to Do?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As one of "a certain age," discussions like this sound an alarm. Note the seeming lack of any good alternatives that the author leaves you with, instead referring to vague terms like "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]social and economic adjustments." I wonder what these might be???

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

2. The way things are going it is not going to be a problem as we are all going to have to work until the day we pop off
  3. [​IMG]

Indeed. Dangerous lunatic or a prophet before his time?
  4. The problem is that we've only got half of the 'living longer' equation solved, the bit that involves keeping people alive. Fix the other half - keeping people sprightly until the day they drop (or at least reducing the number requiring care), and the aging problem fixes itself.
  5. Soylent Green.

6. Indeed....
  7. Watch out "JJH", us "oldtimers" have to keep on our toes, otherwise some of the young "thrusters" start to advocate EUTHANASIA!
  8. Chapman......The Old Dear Hunter.
  9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Hmmm ... I paid a lot to qualify for my State and Military pensions, one way or another, so I would like to extract maximum £££ value. :D

My advancing years also allow the golden opportunity to annoy young people ... by driving slowly and carefully, holding meaningful conversations in supermarket aisles, and generally expressing "bigoted and narrow-minded" opinions on subjects about which I know virtually nothing.

However, in fairness to the Global economic crisis [especially in the pensions sector] I am making a small contribution by smoking and drinking to reduce my life expectancy. I would therefore be grateful if young people would acknowledge that by:
    • Not tooting their horn at me when I drive at the posted speed limit.
    • Allowing me to converse with friends in the street during the day [at night, youth owns the streets].
    • Getting out of my space, instead of walking straight at me!!
  10. I meant Shipman......sorry if I've upset any Chapmans on this thread.
  11. Yoko won't be very happy.
  12. Crikey. I'm a victim of identity theft.
  13. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Euthenasier booths. Get to 60, then its game over. I'm just waiting for the time when they convert human remains to power the grids.
  14. [​IMG]
  15. Can we give her a bit of Granny lovin' first? :)