Too Many Elderly--What to Do, What to Do?

As one of "a certain age," discussions like this sound an alarm. Note the seeming lack of any good alternatives that the author leaves you with, instead referring to vague terms like "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]social and economic adjustments." I wonder what these might be???

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Population Aging: A Human Triumph[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Population Aging: A Human Triumph by Joseph Chamie - The Globalist
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

As one of "a certain age," discussions like this sound an alarm. Note the seeming lack of any good alternatives that the author leaves you with, instead referring to vague terms like "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]social and economic adjustments." I wonder what these might be???

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
The problem is that we've only got half of the 'living longer' equation solved, the bit that involves keeping people alive. Fix the other half - keeping people sprightly until the day they drop (or at least reducing the number requiring care), and the aging problem fixes itself.

Watch out "JJH", us "oldtimers" have to keep on our toes, otherwise some of the young "thrusters" start to advocate EUTHANASIA!

Hmmm ... I paid a lot to qualify for my State and Military pensions, one way or another, so I would like to extract maximum £££ value. :D

My advancing years also allow the golden opportunity to annoy young people ... by driving slowly and carefully, holding meaningful conversations in supermarket aisles, and generally expressing "bigoted and narrow-minded" opinions on subjects about which I know virtually nothing.

However, in fairness to the Global economic crisis [especially in the pensions sector] I am making a small contribution by smoking and drinking to reduce my life expectancy. I would therefore be grateful if young people would acknowledge that by:
  • Not tooting their horn at me when I drive at the posted speed limit.
  • Allowing me to converse with friends in the street during the day [at night, youth owns the streets].
  • Getting out of my space, instead of walking straight at me!!

Hmmm ... I paid a lot to qualify for my State and Military pensions, one way or another, so I would like to extract maximum £££ value. :D

My advancing years also allow the golden opportunity to annoy young people ... by driving slowly and carefully, holding meaningful conversations in supermarket aisles, and generally expressing "bigoted and narrow-minded" opinions on subjects about which I know virtually nothing.

However, in fairness to the Global economic crisis [especially in the pensions sector] I am making a small contribution by smoking and drinking to reduce my life expectancy.
Crikey. I'm a victim of identity theft.

Watch out "JJH", us "oldtimers" have to keep on our toes, otherwise some of the young "thrusters" start to advocate EUTHANASIA!

"Start to"? You had better take a look out your front window--see that strange black lorry idling at the corner?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
how about 'Logan's Run' style assasins targeting anyone trying to live past 30??

how about 'Logan's Run' style assasins targeting anyone trying to live past 30??
Given the proven tendency of human nature to push things to extremes and seeing how this plays out in real world (you don't even need sci/fi) as in Hitler's Germany, I think that sort of thing is quite possible, albeit perhaps not as dramatic. Not at first of course since these things occur in increments so that like the frog in a pan of cool water will not realize it is being boiled as you slowly increase the temperature until it is too late.

Once a certain point is passed in terms of individual and collective limits (call them what you will- religious, ethical, moral, economic etc.) it then becomes incrementally easier to take the next step and so on until few people, especially those who have accepted the idea that there are no absolute values and that all is relative, will even notice that granny is being quietly ushered off to the "quiet" wing of the hospital by government agents. This progressive collective "an(a)esthetizing" of people can be seen in all programs where government begins to provide a service that would otherwise have been provided through their own toil. In the US for example, the so-called "war on poverty" that basically was a government funded payment system within 2 generations stripped the recipients of any sense of pride and confidence in their own abilities and efforts such that now many have not the sligthest compunction to hold their hand out for their dole even when they are capable in every way of earning it themselves. In addition, the collateral damage to the family structure, their local community etc. has also been horrific.

Now, as I see it, we just about have the resources to sustain those of us who are, shall we say, just over the prime of life. The problem is going to be all those who are currently in university, early 20s etc as the resources are getting scarcer by the day. In that case, why not a bit of retrogressive euthenasia? Bump off those currently in uni (they won't be able to grumble about paying back their student loans then) and those who have reached the age of 25 and are contributing less in NI and private pensions than they will get out of it when they reach a certain age (ignoring inflation just to be fair). Of course, all those wearing Burberry, have "symbolic" tattoos (like Beckham), own pit bulls or (notice the or) try and scrounge off you in the street would be automatically on the removal from society list. As would anyone with financial advisor, diversity, outreach or equality in their job titles.