Too Green to be in Green?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by incognito1982, Aug 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All;

Just wondering if you can provide me with some help and advice to help me get towards main board.

I have had my brief, and recieved two main areas of critique. I was hoping that someone a bit wiser than myself could point me in the right direction on how to improve of these areas pretty quickly, as I'm getting on a bit age wise, and only have 2 months until i HAVE to go to board if I want in - else I'll be past the age limit.

First things first - I seem to have bombed a bit on the MAP tests. I'm not sure how this happened, as I have been swatting like made on them, I do know there was some problems with the computers that night - and a few people had to resit, also I'm not sure if I answered all the questions, however, its not to be used as an excuse and I want to make sure that I'm on when I do these at main board, so does anyone know of any resources I can use, or online tests I can take as practise?

Secondly - as I was put in to a group with older candidates, I found that 4 out of 9 of us had experience with the forces. Three were still serving, one was ex-navy. Needless to say when it came to applying techniques such as cantilevers and knots to use for the leaderless tasks, I wasn't as quick on the uptake as they were - therefore looking like I didn't really know what I was doing. As I'd only been shown that morning, I wasn't sure on how reliable the techniques were, what weight they could carry e.g when lashed together, what as falcrom (?) point it ect. From this it appears that I am too "green". I don't have any family history of the services, I've never been a cadet or in the TA, and I'm not too sure where I can start to make an immediate difference towards improving my ability to practically apply these techniques in time for briefing. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

I am 100% sure that being an officer is the right choice for me, and I have made so many changes in my life since my application, including moving back in with my parents after 12 years so that I can train and study for this, so please understand how decicated and focussed I am to get in to Sandhurst.

I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback you have that could point me in the right direction, and as a little give back for your time, if you want to ask me any questions about briefing, please PM me and I'll help where I can.

Thanks for reading this.

2. What category was your briefing?

3. Your first problem can be easily solved with plenty of swatting up. I used a psychometric book from my local library to help me with the MAP test. You may find it useful to break down each of the three tests (verbal, numeric and abstract) and spend many monotonous hours doing mathematical sums, reading information and taking in key points and then finding patterns.

The second issue you raised is a bit more trickier to solve. At main board you will have your own command task to lead so you can show there that you know all about fulcrums and cantilevers etc. I wouldn't say shouting above others just to make sure the group leader knows you know your stuff would be wise.

I like yourself have no previous military experience (although my father did serve in the army) but as long as you can explain why you did not join cadets etc. when younger then this shouldn't go against you (so I have been told anyway :p ).

All the best for your Main Board.

-OCS-

4. Another option, given that it's officer selection, is to delegate on your lead task and ask for advice from your team - as long as it clear that you are in charge and make needed decisions.

5. I did intend for my original post to be construed along them lines.

i.e "my original plan is...number 23, 25 and 26 if you could make a cantilever... does anyone have any alternative ways in which this task might be achieved? etc."

-OCS-

6. Thanks - that sounds like a great plan, I'll put some thought in to that and get on it right away. Do you know of any resources online I could possibly look at to get my brain working a bit more practically?

7. Erm - how about getting two planks, a few lengths of rope and learning some knots? Once you've learned some knots practice tying the two planks together, maybe throw in an empty oil drum and perhaps the wall of your garage just to mix things up?

If you want to learn practical skills the internet is not a great place to do so. The internet will teach you how to press buttons up and down.

Alternatively, go and do a competent crew yacht course. You'll learn all about knots, ropes and stuff like that. You'll also do a lot of teamwork.

8. I failed my MAP test miserably at the Briefing. I attribute my initial failure to two reasons, firstly lack of preparation secondly wrong approach too the test.

I recommend you go spend some time in your local library and take out some psychometric tests and just practice. Also practice your basic maths, start and the bottom with basic additions, subtractions, divisions, multiplication then move up to percentages, ratios etc...This will help your for your numerical reasoning and also help for your plan Ex.
    When it comes to the test day remember that by answering as many questions as possible you are increasing your probability of getting correct answers, so if you get stuck on a question make an educated guess and move on, the questions do not increase in difficulty so chances are the next question might be easier.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Xoums.

edited for spelling (Enshuldigun waffen gramitsh corps)

9. Do we MAP flops get another chance at Main Board nowadays?

10. anybody......................(tumbleweed..)

11. yes, you have a chance to redeem yourself.
    Good luck.

12. Well done on the briefing! Feel free to ignore my advice you got the better score than me overall, but I did do "above average" on the MAP test and I did very well on the command tasks. Would have pm'ed this to you, but never know it might be useful to someone else.

First of all I would say do not guess questions on the actual MAP test, lots and lots of people seem to say just guess and answer as much as you can, I did not do this at all, I took my time and made sure every one I did answer I got correct. Now I have absolutely no idea how they actually score the MAP test, but I would think they do a -1 point for wrong answers, so if you did 20 questions, and got only 15 right, you score is actually 10, where as if you only did 15 questions and then ran out of time, but got all of them correct, you would actually score much higher with less questions.

Personally I ran out of time on every single section and people where talking about questions I never even got to. One book I liked was "Passing Psychometric Tests" by Andrea Shavick. It is surprisingly short, but it laid things out for you. Here is the important bit, you need to be looking at WHY you got questions wrong or right when you practice, you can take a million practice tests but if you do not actually understand WHY your answer was wrong or correct, you will struggle to improve. So take a test, check your score, and then instead of just going through the ones you got wrong, write out exactly WHY each of your right answers were correct.

Command tasks require no technical skill at all, I am useless at things like that and had never so much as climbed a rope in my life, yet I scored extremely high on the command tasks. The point is not accomplishing the tasks but how you do them(though it helps) how many times did you shout in the command tasks? Every two minutes I made sure I shouted TIME!!! to engage the time keeper, I made sure I was holding my hand out to help someone across, even if they did not need it, there was NEVER a time when I did not have my hands on an object, or a person, the moment you realise you are standing still GRAB SOMETHING! Worked for me haha, I do not think you are too "green" in the slightest you just need to be more assertive, which I completely understand is harder when you have TA and regular army people around you, I had two TA guys in my group, but I made sure I always got a word in when they said something and when they where crossing things I still grabbed their shoulders and dragged them over stuff just the same.

I do not think you can really practice command tasks, just go for it and be loud! When you are given your task to be the leader for, you do not even need to come up with the solution, or tie a single knot, if you delegate properly you will get much higher scores than simply doing it all yourself, as your job is going to be getting soldiers to engage their skills, not doing it all for them.

13. Incognito.

Check your PMs.

Old Rat

14. You don't get negatively marked for wrong answers. If you've got a minute left and ten questions to answer, guess.

15. you pervert......