Tony Nicklinson dead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RJK, Aug 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RJK

RJK Swinger

• Like Like x 1
  2. It's what he wanted.

3. Queensman, it's not quite what he wanted. He wanted the ability to choose to die in a dignified and humane manner. Instead he was forced into the only other option open to him which was to refuse food and starve to death.

What sort of a ridiculous country are we when a man of sound mind but not physically capable cannot make the choice to die in a humane manner?

• Like Like x 8
  4. Dont think ive been so happy to see someone die, They should have let his have his own way in court. No-one should have to suffer like that. R.I.P Tony

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you keep an animal in the condition that some people are kept in then you would be prosecuted for cruelty and imprisoned, but if you make an express wish to be allowed to die then it is refused as the preserving of life over all other factors takes precedence. It is very, very wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  6. poor poor bastard. i'm glad he's got some peace now and his family should be proud of the way he tried to get the law changed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brave man

8. Starved or pneumonia? Seems strange that he posted a 'Goodbye cruel world' type e-mail before he was found dead. I hope good sense prevails and even if there are 12 stab wounds in the body and unfeasably high levels of whisky, paracetamol, and insulin nobody is pilloried for any possible help. The poor poor man wanted to die and was suffering a truly horrible end because of what everybody with an ounce of common could see was a misguided application of the law.

WC

• Like Like x 1
  9. Very brave man, who was denied a right to die in a way of his choosing.

He looked in absolute pain and frustration on the tv, especially the footage of when the court ruling went against him.

I honestly don't think that there are many people who were against his wishes. Could there be a law change made for this type of exceptional circumstances? I don't think that there would be many applications per year in the UK.

May he rest in peace.

10. It's not as if he was mentally incapable or couldn't communicate his wishes. He expressed what should be his right to die with some dignity.
    I can't see though how the law as it stands could have helped.

Like other have mentioned if there has been some 'help' in granting his choice, that it just breezes through the system with not too many questions asked.

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

The problem here within is that Quantity is seen a better than Quality. Unfortunately it is a problem that is currently endemic in our society.

Too many people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

12. fu2

fu2 LE

Glad he doesn`t have to suffer any more and has found peace.

13. Having followed the court proceedings, in a way I am pleased he has flown from this earth in a peaceful dignified way with his loved ones around him. May his God keep him safe in the palm of his hand.

14. Dignified? How the **** is being forced to starve yourself to death dignified? He should have been given the right to have assistance from a Doctor or his wife to die at the time of his choosing.

At least his suffering is over. Why on earth do we let people suffer like he did? If you let a pet dog or cat or any other animal suffer this way you would end up being arrested and put in front of a judge. So why can't we treat humans humanely? Sometimes I feel that the law is damned stupid and so short-sighted. Let those who are of sound mind make the decisions that they clearly can make.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Sorry, this just makes me angry that he was forced by law to suffer as he did.