Tony Martin MP?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Lady_Landy, Feb 8, 2004.

?
  1. YES I want a return of law and order and decency too

76.9%
  2. NO he's a murdering Scumbag

15.4%
  3. Tony WHO?

7.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13924715_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-I%2DWANT%2DTO%2DBE%2DAN%2DMP-name_page.html
    Tony Martin now wants to be an MP!
    He hit the headlines when he was prosecuted for murder after he used a shotgun on an intruder during a botched break-in at his Bleak House farm in August 1999. Another burglar suffered serious leg wounds in the incident.

There was a massive public outcry when Martin was found guilty at Norwich Crown Court and sentenced to life. The charge and sentence was later reduced on appeal to five years for manslaughter.

The farmer could have been released sooner, but his refusal to express remorse meant he was declared unsuitable for early parole and had to spend another six months behind bars.

Martin's straight talking along with his refusal to apologise has only increased his popularity.
    "If I decide to seek election, people will know exactly where I stand -
    I want a return to law and order and decency."
    "There is no point being out of jail if you are not really free" he said.

2. Tony Martin - convicted murderer, or a travesty of justice and sign of the disarray our legal system is in? I know what I think.

Whatever the merits of that discussion, there can be little doubt that here is a bloke who is pretty much on side, from our point of view. A guy who has been fooked in a way that makes the treatment we endure seem positively civilised. A guy who wants to punish criminals by locking them up (now there's a revolutionary idea!), a guy who doesn't want to screw the average law abiding, tax paying citizen......need I go on? I'll bet he even supports the idea of giving the military enough ammo to deploy with! (Another top idea which seems to escape our government!)

Two things - when do we get to vote for him and can we make him Primeminister?

3. Possibly mad
    can't be worse than the scum in there at the moment
    maybe we can tell im the hoons after his antiques :twisted:

4. unfortunately under parliamentry rules if anybody has been sent to jail for more than a year cannot serve in parliament

5. At least we know he shoots people in the back beforehand...

6. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness both spend considerably long periods of time behind bars?

7. I think so, but were they convicted or interned?

8. I think they were interned. However, don't forget that Bobby Sands was elected as an MP while still serving. Obviously, his subsequent actions precipitated another by-election: but there was nothing to stop him from standing in the first place. I'm pretty certain that he was serving a sentence of more than a year?

By the by, did anyone see that the Iranians are now thinking of renaming Bobby Sands Street (Tehran) as part of their plans to bolster their new, cuddly image? They're not renaming the splendidly inappropriately-named Bobby Sands Snack Bar as yet, though...

edit to add - quick search reveals Adams was interned. It also gives the info that McGuinness was given 6 months for possessing 250lb of explosives and 5000 rounds of ammunition, and also served a sentence in the Republic for membership of PIRA.

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

It would cause much embarrassment to HMG. if he were elected and barred from parliament.

It would be a clear case of parliament against the will of the people.

Incidentlally, I am not sure if this is a correct regulation as Aitkin has been seeking re-election.

10. To stand for parliament, you have to be over 21 and a British citizen (well subject put that doesn't nice). No qualifications are needed. Criminals convicted of *serious* crimes, bankrupts, clergy and varying official roles such as judges, serving soldiers etc cannot stand.

11. To stand for parliament, you have to be over 21 and a British citizen (well subject put that doesn't nice). No qualifications are needed. Criminals convicted of *serious* crimes, bankrupts, clergy and varying official roles such as judges, serving soldiers etc cannot stand.

13. manslaughter is considered a serious crime and i beleive Aitken has been barred by michael howard

14. God almighty, who next? Aitken and Martarse deserve each other. This is a chap whose buddies from the NF "training camps" on his cousin's land were banned from entering the UK as a danger to national security - back in the good old Thatcherite 80s. Maybe Hoon and these two could start their own alternative crooks' parliament, with Archer as Speaker of the Lords?