Tony Fish Bar Aldershot

I have just noticed that Tonys Fish Bar has closed and the main man has retired, anyone who has served in The Shot will have been treated to Tonys Cuisine at some point, a true legend, he moved from a chip shop in Glasgow train station to feed many a paratrooper. Often when returning really late you could throw stones at his windows around 3am and he would come down in his dressing gown and re heat the evenings food, always smiling, even as blood splashed around the chip shop floor.

An urban legend and an outstanding contributiuon to forces morale

Cant believe he has faded away...he should have been dined out

paragorge said:
I have just noticed that Tonys Fish Bar has closed and the main man has retired, anyone who has served in The Shot will have been treated to Tonys Cuisine at some point, a true legend, he moved from a chip shop in Glasgow train station to feed many a paratrooper. Often when returning really late you could throw stones at his windows around 3am and he would come down in his dressing gown and re heat the evenings food, always smiling, even as blood splashed around the chip shop floor.

Fcuking hell I can remember as a kid in the late 70's/early 80's collecting old newspapers for him and getting ye free slappe uppe Pie and Chippes from him in return and it always tasted pretty good. He must have really gone down hill in recent times. I always remember his gaff being absolutely spotless.

Hope he has a nice sedate drunken-squaddieless retirement.

B

Biscuits_AB

Would the plethora of fast food outlets in the 'Shot have had any adverse affect upon business?

Gutted! RIP Tony's.

I've also just heard that the Pegasus drinking den has closed too. Utter fukcing maddness, where else can I get slaughtered at ABF weekend, get naked and lag mysef? I blame whatever chav regiment resides in the 'Shot these days preferring wine bars and bistros. Homos all of them.

The same tears shed in the shot when the Cannon shut!, Although Peter resurected the Taj Mahal it never was the same and didnt have an "Free curry" window in the shitter.

Wonder what happened to that cheesy websters picture of Airborne united circa 85 that was on Tonys back wall?

Retire in peace Tony and may the "Airborne" force be with you!

"You wanta the usual?......... What is the usual?"

Hi

Johnny G is still there complete with dodgy music & fountain. The whole area around Tony's according to the local press is due for redevelopment, in an effort to rejuvenation Aldershot.

To be honest, & I don’t believe I’m saying this, Aldershot took a nose dive when the Paras left, & were replaced by regiments on posting rather than a home units located there for years.

I've also just heard that the Pegasus drinking den has closed too.
Never been to Tony's, but how I laughed when I read this. It was featured on Sky telly's "Britain's Hardest Boozers" and hadn't changed much since me and a mate wandered in there by mistake in 1988 whilst on a STAB SE district training team course.

It was like a really surreal cross of "From Dusk 'til Dawn" and the "Blue Oyster Bar" scene from "Police Academy." How we laughed (not) as the beer glasses rained down at us as the Green-Eyed Boys chanted "CRAP HATS!" at us. Some sympathetic regular scalies rescued us and took us to a less terrifying boozer, leaving me with an abiding affection for the bleeps.

V!

Is The Rat Pit still going. Used to use it back in 67-68 when stationed in Borden. Paras used to leeve us craphats be back then, to busy sorting out real soldiers.
john

Vegetius said:
I've also just heard that the Pegasus drinking den has closed too.
Never been to Tony's, but how I laughed when I read this. It was featured on Sky telly's "Britain's Hardest Boozers" and hadn't changed much since me and a mate wandered in there by mistake in 1988 whilst on a STAB SE district training team course.

It was like a really surreal cross of "From Dusk 'til Dawn" and the "Blue Oyster Bar" scene from "Police Academy." How we laughed (not) as the beer glasses rained down at us as the Green-Eyed Boys chanted "CRAP HATS!" at us. Some sympathetic regular scalies rescued us and took us to a less terrifying boozer, leaving me with an abiding affection for the bleeps.

V!
Can appreciate this one - years ago when still with Customs, myself and another officer were passed a job - "suspected bootleg beer being sold in a pub in Aldershot - please investigate". Three guesses which pub and the response from myself and the other officer (both of us STABs)... Our Boss at the time insisted and called up the local plod to provide back-up. Their response - "you've got to be fcuking joking - do you want to start a riot!" End result - job filed away at the bottom of a very big cupboard & ignored - probably still there!

lancslad

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
paragorge said:

I am fcuking gutshot !
I never went to anywhere else late at night.
Not even after a scoff at Johhny G's - always bought at least a bag of chips, for the sake of loyalty if not for tradition.

Yes I've been drinking tonight, but I feel sad and like a portion of my life has been removed.

Tony, thanks for your unflinching support of the army and for helping crows turn into real Toms !

Bugger ! I need to kill a bottle of malt to salute this sad loss.

another institution fades away....it'll probably be replaced with a "where there's a blame there's a claim" lawyer cesspitt place for the lilly-livered youff that are coming through the system now!

Sad day, Rat Pit, Exchange, 5's and now the Pegasus and Tony's.......only the Traf and George left by my reckoning....... :cry: :cry:

I don't think I could go back to the Shot, seeing like it is now would be a killer.

Funny thing about Tony's was that every man jack in the brigade new the scoff was a rough as **** but we would all pile in there regardless. Got pulled out of Tony's once by the RMP Para Provo because "a bloke in a maroon t-shirt, jeans and dessies" had shouted "Oi....feck off monkies"
.....Deziel and Pascoe they were not.

allritemafriendwaddayawant

steak and kidney pie and chips Tone

snakeandpigmypianddechipsokaymyfriend

There are several generations of blokes who frequented Tony's, in years to come legends will be written about the place......and rightly so.

:cry:

Latest Threads