Tony Blair's evidence to the Iraq Inquiry

Micawber said:
The Chilcot enquiry, some of the comment surrounding it and, to some extent, Blair's evidence has completely changed my view of the war.

The truth is it was illegal, and I wanted to see him infront of a war crimes tribunal, but really that was only because I hate him so much and taken objectively, on this issue he has a point.

So it was illegal, well who cares?

In the 1800's we, the British, decided to end the slave trade world wide and set about doing so by force.

It was a perfectly legal trade and to distrupt it was unlawful.

It also undoubtedly made the lives of many who were enslaved at the time a great deal harder - for example when the Royal Navy appeared on the horizon most slave ship captains just heaved their entire cargo overboard.

But surely no-one can claim that what we were doing was the wrong thing?

Unfortunately all the noise over the legal stuff has let them dodge the real issue, which was the utter incompetence with which the job was carried out.

That's the unforgivable bit, the lack of kit etc and the fact that no-one seems to have read beyond the first paragraph of any plan or given any sensible thought whatsoever as to the aftermath.

He should still be burned at the stake but at a loser, not a lawbreaker.
My bold above - Mr Mac, you are very focused on the legality of the war. However that is only part of the view; ethics? morality? We have usually required the views of philosophers and churchmen to be taken into account when promoting a war.
Blair isn't a Sir Thomas More, despite Ally Campbell's PR intent on wishing that view on us.

This all seems to come back to one thing. Tony Blair was convinced that he was right.

Now, we all think that at some point in our lives, but thinking that you are right does not automatically equal to BEING right.

The tragedy here is that no one in Blair's circle had the nerve to say unto the Messiah: 'Boss. Just what happens here if you are wrong?'

Now, I don't know whether this was Emperor's New Clothes syndrome, where no one wanted to make themselves look stupid. I personally suspect that at least some of them wanted a military disaster that would have forced Blair to resign ( never mind the cost in casualties though)

Tony B went into the enquiry armoured with righteousness. 'I am right, and I'd do the same again.'

What a tragedy it is that his self confidence is not matched by his judgement, and that the one counterweight that could have possibly stopped him was Gordon Brown, whose judgement is apparently at least as bad as his former master, and quite possibly worse. I foresee that in a few years that there will be plays and operas written about this pair, but I think that maybe only Shakespeare could do justice to the politics of spite, ambition, over confidence and envy.

Where does the morality come into it? Saddam murdered hundreds of thousands of his own people over a decade. We the allies killed the same number in a matter of days.

Do we only apply the ethical dimension when it is relatively local to our interests? What about the ethics of dealing with Mugabe, Pol Pot, Pinochet, Stalin, Chairman Mao?

I'm no bleeding heart-liberal and fully understand that there is collateral damage in war but I do believe that when we wage war it should be legal and proportionate in order to be either moral or ethical.

Monty417 said:
You don't remember the Soviet effort in Afghanistan then??
The Taliban don't go on tours and ops, they fight 24/7/364 & 365 in a leap year, so I suppose you could call them professionals.
Which day do they take off?

Queensman said:
Monty417 said:
You don't remember the Soviet effort in Afghanistan then??
The Taliban don't go on tours and ops, they fight 24/7/364 & 365 in a leap year, so I suppose you could call them professionals.
Which day do they take off?
I wondered that.

HectortheInspector said:
Tony Blair was convinced that he was right.
Personally I do believe he was convinced he was right to make the decision. I don't believe for a minute he considered factors other than what he saw as his own world influence and a possible consideration of matching his obvious political idol, Margaret Thatcher. I do not doubt him as a clever man, but do see him as so self-centred as not to recognise anything outside his own ambitions.

Blair the hero, Blair the friend of Presidents, Blair the saver of the World!

If only life were so simple, and other lives didn't matter.

Blair is a messianic little oik. His whole body language and the structure of his spoken combination reveals a man totally enamoured of himself and convinced of his absolute correctness. Frankly he is one of those people that you would avoid at a cocktail party. If you asked him did he want tea or coffee, he would take a long time justifying his decision in the context of the geo-political situation vis a vis Brazil and India. You would be praying he asked for black...after all a comparison of the circumstances of European dairy farmers under the CAP versus Cuban sugar farming issues...you just don't need it!

tom_dkg said:
HectortheInspector said:
Tony Blair was convinced that he was right.
Personally I do believe he was convinced he was right to make the decision. I don't believe for a minute he considered factors other than what he saw as his own world influence and a possible consideration of matching his obvious political idol, Margaret Thatcher. I do not doubt him as a clever man, but do see him as so self-centred as not to recognise anything outside his own ambitions.

Blair the hero, Blair the friend of Presidents, Blair the saver of the World!

If only life were so simple, and other lives didn't matter.
Blair may be clever - in the same way shysters and chancers are - but he is not intelligent.

Well it looks like Blair , Straw and perhaps Goldsmith together with their Christmas cards are going to receive invitations to re-attend the Chilcott Inquiry to answer further questions ... apparently some clarification is required in the light of damaging and conflicting evidence ......I suppose he will be buying some more large aerosols of Teflon .

Linky .... Tony Blair summoned back to Iraq inquiry to be quizzed over new evidence | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Editrd to change reference to The Guardian .

What Bliar wants for Christmas.

Oh dear. So much more whitewash !

The invasion of Iraq, by Blair, was ILLEGAL - when will this fact be recognised?

When will the repellent and grinning 'chancer' be charged?

Off course, I have overlooked that the Legal System, in what was a great nation, is now beholden to Blair!

PS: Sorry Arrsers, I have overlooked the key point - more lies at our, the tax-payers' expense.

Is this recall of the dishonest 'spiv' part of a smoke-screen, discharged by the 'Establishment', to take the heat of hatred off the repellent man?

Whatever - one day, he will be brought to task.

BounceBanana

War Hero
I received an email today from Cabinet Office/Iraq Inquiry. A legal advisor to the inquiry set out a summary of terms of reference : To see if there are lessons to be learned from the British involvement in Iraq from 2001. I had asked for a list of questions to be put to Jack Straw at his recall. So it is the usual stuff of a legal advisor putting up terms of ref as a hurdle. Are the questions within the terms of reference ? I reply that it would sort of depend on Straw's answers which is rather the point of an inquiry.

BounceBanana

War Hero
Britain's Iraq Inquiry

The email to me was from Sarah Goom. I think she was seconded to Iraq Inquiry from Serious Fraud Office but appears to have been listed in 2005 as a member of the Legal Secretariat to Attorney General. I don't know when she took up the Attorney General Legal Secretariat position (IE Whether she was in the secretariat when Goldsmith changed face re illegality of the Iraq war)

It seems that if the inquiry feels crime is revealed they will refer to appropriate authority. Jack Straw .... ?

Rayc

RIP
RIP
What will happen to Blair at the end of all this?

He is quite slippery!

I am interested to know since it is said that the British Judiciary is beyond political pressures.

He is quite slippery!

I am interested to know since it is said that the British Judiciary is beyond political pressures.
There's an excellent novel by Robert Harris, called The Ghost Writer: A Novel (Amazon.com: The Ghost Writer: A Novel (9781439190555): Robert Harris: Books). It's all about an ex-Prime Minister who'd led the UK into war in Iraq. And it answers your question in a manner with which it would be hard to argue :)

It's also a great read.

He is quite slippery!

Well now. 'Beyond political pressures' - in whose dreams are those words true and accurate?

Irving - Falconer - Bercow, et al

Don't quibble about the dwarf - if one has the power to expel members from the House of Commons, one has a judicial power denied to everybody else!

Just reported on BBC News ... Blair to appear for a second time in front of the Chilcot Inquiry on Friday 21 Jan 2011 ... may be worth putting a note in the diary ... if nothing else other than to see another demonstration of the true skill of not answering a question .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There's an excellent novel by Robert Harris, called The Ghost Writer: A Novel (Amazon.com: The Ghost Writer: A Novel (9781439190555): Robert Harris: Books). It's all about an ex-Prime Minister who'd led the UK into war in Iraq. And it answers your question in a manner with which it would be hard to argue :)

It's also a great read.
I would second Flaggie's comments (except it is called The Ghost)
The Ghost.jpg
Even the shadowy pic on the cover looks like Blair & Cherie waving. Very cleverly done and a well written book; I don't think that Harris will be on Cherie's Christmas Card list. I have given the book away or I might have been tempted to put up a review of it. If anyone else would like to do it, then please do so.

Abdiel

War Hero
I would second Flaggie's comments (except it is called The Ghost)
Even the shadowy pic on the cover looks like Blair & Cherie waving. Very cleverly done and a well written book; I don't think that Harris will be on Cherie's Christmas Card list. I have given the book away or I might have been tempted to put up a review of it. If anyone else would like to do it, then please do so.
The only problem I have with that book cover is that there ain't a weapon sight trained on each of them.

With this 'shit' as prime minister, I am not surprised that the worthless, but expensive, Chilcott Enquiry does not take 'evidence' on oath.

Blair is the most deceptive and duplicitous and wholly repellent individual ever to have been in 'public office'. He was, probably still is, the most dishonest, slippery, shite ever!

Blair should either be arrested and charged with war crimes, or, accidentally .................... together with his ugly and grasping spouse.

Latest Threads