Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Blair Watch.

Curry house - see what you did there!

Bugger, a Freudian slip !. JM commented in a foodie article on his favourite eating haunt in Vauxhall at the time, describing it as the best curry ( here I go again aaarrgh ) he's ever tasted. ( Quiet in the back row please !!)

Bugger, a Freudian slip !. JM commented in a foodie article on his favourite eating haunt in Vauxhall at the time, describing it as the best curry ( here I go again aaarrgh ) he's ever tasted. ( Quiet in the back row please !!)
Curried eggs

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Did he enter Edwina's Curry House, Edwina Curry's house or just Edwina Curry?

Last edited:
I used to see John Major post PM days, wandering down South of the river with a single CP officer in his company. He owned a couple of luxury flats, besides having his favourite curry house in the near vicinity.
Who?

Hmm..
Apparently Tony Blair is costing British taxpayers £6 million a year to protect – more than the current Prime Minister,
The former Prime Minister is understood to be the most expensive person in the country for the police to guard because of his regular foreign excursions.
More than 20 officers are now understood to be assigned to protecting Mr Blair at a cost of more than £115,000 a week.
Mr Blair is typically abroad most weeks and the average bill for his close protection team of bodyguards is more than £16,000 a day, according to Whitehall sources. The protection bill is three times higher than previous public estimates.
Every time he travels abroad, Scotland Yard has to send an “advance team” to scrutinise the security risks. When he travels for longer periods, several teams of police officers have to accompany Mr Blair.

IMHO its time this was stopped and he be made to pay any/all security costs out of the £millions he has made since leaving No. 10
Is this value for money for the taxpayer? He has one of his many gaff's just down the road from the VSC always large numbers of tooled up plod outside and at the back.

syrup

LE
Hmm..
Apparently Tony Blair is costing British taxpayers £6 million a year to protect – more than the current Prime Minister,
The former Prime Minister is understood to be the most expensive person in the country for the police to guard because of his regular foreign excursions.
More than 20 officers are now understood to be assigned to protecting Mr Blair at a cost of more than £115,000 a week.
Mr Blair is typically abroad most weeks and the average bill for his close protection team of bodyguards is more than £16,000 a day, according to Whitehall sources. The protection bill is three times higher than previous public estimates.
Every time he travels abroad, Scotland Yard has to send an “advance team” to scrutinise the security risks. When he travels for longer periods, several teams of police officers have to accompany Mr Blair.

IMHO its time this was stopped and he be made to pay any/all security costs out of the £millions he has made since leaving No. 10

Does that include the costs of returning to collect a forgotten pistol or two?

He wants to go abroad , it should be up to him to provide and pay for his own protection .
In this country he should have no more than one cp bodyguard .
That is all we should be paying for .
I would assume there is more cost on top of this, when he is visiting another country on one of his ego trips will there also be a cost burden on that country's security services?

NSP

LE
I know he wanted to be more president than prime minister but do we really need to emulate the US and provide the equivelent of a Secret Service detail for ex-PMs for life? Blair's merely a private citizen now so if he feels he needs personal security he should be paying for it himself and hiring it from an appropriate agency, not getting it from the tax-payer and the pool of police officers who are much needed elsewhere for other things.

That it is felt that he needs such a circus just goes to show what a thorough-going and utterly dispised c**t he is, really. Do Major, May and Cameron have massive teams of tax-payer funded cops hanging around all their holdings 24/7...?

Last edited:
I know he wanted to be more president than prime minister but do we really need to emulate the US and provide the equivelent of a Secret Service detail for ex-PMs for life? Blair's merely a private citizen now so if he feels he needs personal security he should be paying for it himself and hiring it from an appropriate agency, not getting it from the tax-payer and the pool of police officers who are much needed elsewhere for other things.

That it is felt that he needs such a circus just goes to show what a through-going and utterly dispised c**t he it, really. Do Major, May and Cameron have massive teams of tax-payer funded cops hanging around all their holdings 24/7...?

The FO eventually got around to stopping him from using our foreign embassies as hotel stop overs when on his peace keeping missions. His entourage were impacting on their budgets. He has / had the top floor of an Israeli hotel where he runs his foundation from last time I looked.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

That it is felt that he needs such a circus just goes to show what a thorough-going and utterly dispised c**t he is, really. Do Major, May and Cameron have massive teams of tax-payer funded cops hanging around all their holdings 24/7...?

Ran into a couple of the allegedly hated ministers back in the day at agricultural shows and the like. They'd rock up with a police driver in the Merc, and a guard sat next to him, that being pretty much it. The one you may recognise was Pik Botha. He'd go for a couple of brandies in the bar, the cop guard trailing along behind him, and chat to the ordinary folks there.

Our much loved liberation hero pollies these days travel around in high speed armoured multi vehicle convoys with a squad of motorcycle outriders (those convoys have already killed a number of civilians who didn't get out of the way fast enough) and a couple of black tinted windowed 4x4s loaded to the gills with suited and armed thugs in sunglasses. You wouldn't catch them dead mingling with the great unwashed unless surrounded by a screen of thugs.

This leads me to believe Blair is a much loved man of the people. I notice they seem to require more security than the ones apparently hated by the nation. Could just be a vocal minority, cheerleaders or otherwise, that make it appear that way though.

Latest Threads