Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Blair Watch.

Londo

LE
Go on . You know you want to
blair gun.jpg

NSP

LE
Go on . You know you want to View attachment 511517
It has to be said he is looking a bit like his thought process is, "Knock the selector onto 3rd burst, into the aim, quick squeeze whilst presented to the back of his head, flick back to safe, look nonchalantly in the other direction, hope no-one noticed, later receive thanks of a grateful nation..."

He should think about putting the butt in his shoulder if carrying at the port, though. Or something like that (what do I know, being a civvy berk)...

Last edited:

NSP

LE
The shit-eating grin that snake oil-selling smug cockweasel sports continuously during his riposte gives me the urge to smash his boat in for some reason. Can't think why...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Blair’s words came back to haunt him in 2008. When Brown said we couldn’t afford a civil service. We couldn’t because he and Blair squandered our ability to have one.
I've told this before. My brother was a civil diplomatic (allegedly) servant. His take on the civil service probably 20-30 years ago was "The civil service exists to be fattened up during good times, so that during lean times it can be cut back".

I've told this before. My brother was a civil diplomatic (allegedly) servant. His take on the civil service probably 20-30 years ago was "The civil service exists to be fattened up during good times, so that during lean times it can be cut back".
Yers, well it rather does depend on what you need to fatten. Having no Customs service worth a damn is going to bite us in the arse. I'm not saying it couldn't have done with modernisation in many respects so long as the core principles of the protection of the revenue and the control of Prohibitions and restrictions continued, but the division between HO and the Treasury will come home to roost. The immigration side is so confused within itself that it will take root and branch reformation because of all the offshoot departments. But then all this was totally predictable in 2008. We also need a revision of terminology of what we mean by the Civil service bearing in mind that it is in fact the direct counter part to the Armed service. When one talks of the Armed service, we don't mean just the MOD and Whitehall, but that's what's inferred.
So I propose the Public services, Besides all that seems to happen when the civil service is fattened, Whitehall gets fat, the Public services are perennially skint.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Another area in need of attention is the Passport office. Mr. GRB applied for a new passport as his old one had only 6 months to run.

Easy online application and payment, new blue Document arrived by Royal Mail last week.

This morning the old one was returned. By Courier!

Chatting to the courier he says this happens often, and often any supporting paperwork is also returned via him. He reckons at least a third of the mail sent out by the Passport office has misspelt names, incorrect addresses or other errors.

At a time where technology makes it easy to get this stuff right, you have to question whether criminals are making sure lots of passports 'go astray'.

Go on . You know you want to View attachment 511517

Hmm..
Apparently Tony Blair is costing British taxpayers £6 million a year to protect – more than the current Prime Minister,
The former Prime Minister is understood to be the most expensive person in the country for the police to guard because of his regular foreign excursions.
More than 20 officers are now understood to be assigned to protecting Mr Blair at a cost of more than £115,000 a week.
Mr Blair is typically abroad most weeks and the average bill for his close protection team of bodyguards is more than £16,000 a day, according to Whitehall sources. The protection bill is three times higher than previous public estimates.
Every time he travels abroad, Scotland Yard has to send an “advance team” to scrutinise the security risks. When he travels for longer periods, several teams of police officers have to accompany Mr Blair.

IMHO its time this was stopped and he be made to pay any/all security costs out of the £millions he has made since leaving No. 10

Londo

LE
Hmm..
Apparently Tony Blair is costing British taxpayers £6 million a year to protect – more than the current Prime Minister,
The former Prime Minister is understood to be the most expensive person in the country for the police to guard because of his regular foreign excursions.
More than 20 officers are now understood to be assigned to protecting Mr Blair at a cost of more than £115,000 a week.
Mr Blair is typically abroad most weeks and the average bill for his close protection team of bodyguards is more than £16,000 a day, according to Whitehall sources. The protection bill is three times higher than previous public estimates.
Every time he travels abroad, Scotland Yard has to send an “advance team” to scrutinise the security risks. When he travels for longer periods, several teams of police officers have to accompany Mr Blair.

IMHO its time this was stopped and he be made to pay any/all security costs out of the £millions he has made since leaving No. 10
He wants to go abroad , it should be up to him to provide and pay for his own protection .
In this country he should have no more than one cp bodyguard .
That is all we should be paying for .

He wants to go abroad , it should be up to him to provide and pay for his own protection .
Damn right - particularly if he is abroad on a speaking engagement, or ‘earning’ millions for his Foundation. Peace Envoy my arse.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Damn right - particularly if he is abroad on a speaking engagement, or ‘earning’ millions for his Foundation. Peace Envoy my arse.
On the other hand, might I suggest that paying him to spend his life abroad is a benefit in kind to the British people?

Londo

LE
I don't understand why the taxman label his protection cost isn't labelled as a 'benefit in kind' and thus taxable.
Now that is a very good suggestion .

In this country he should have no more than one cp bodyguard .
That is all we should be paying for .

I used to see John Major post PM days, wandering down South of the river with a single CP officer in his company. He owned a couple of luxury flats, besides having his favourite curry house in the near vicinity.

I used to see John Major post PM days, wandering down South of the river with a single CP officer in his company. He owned a couple of luxury flats, besides having his favourite curry house in the near vicinity.
Curry house - see what you did there!

Latest Threads