Tony Blair, sleaze article

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bullet_catcher, Mar 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Mail has written (to my mind) a good article about Tony Blair and corruption in politics. It is a bit too long to copy in to Arrse, so the link is here . The article mentions previous high standards of politicians and civil servants. It predicts that we shall not recover those standards, although I hope they are wrong on that point. They also seem to think that there is a possibility of TB playing a supporting role for New Labour in the upcoming election. I think the best way he can help them is to join the Conservative Party, that should lose them more than a few votes.
  2. A nonsense, conveniently ignoring the cash-for-questions scandal I see.

An indicator that the whole lot are corrupt and has been since, well, forever.
  3. the problem is, articles aren't good just because they say what you want to hear.

it's actually pretty pants, as usual for the daily wail
  4. Does it give a date for this golden age?

5. Here is a brilliant idea.........Why don't we petition the son of a bitch to generously donate some of his easily earned money to Forces charities for some recompense for sending them to War (and for being a true slime ball)
    I reckon the Blair's are worth £60 million, plus another £60 million hidden away on the hush hush! ........You know how this cheese operates!
  6. Hmmm...I'd say from the Northcote-Trevelyan reforms of the civil service in the 1850's to about 1950-1960 ish.

If you dealt with a Civil Servant in that time frame you knew damm well that they could be prone to being inflexible, petty minded and rule bound, yet you knew damm well that they were highly unlikely to be corrupt. Corruption existed, yet it never impinged upon most people's lives. If a Civil Servant told you that employment was figure X, or imports were Figure Y or the number of coppers on the beat was figure Z then that was a solid fact.

Today, if a Minster or a CS told me it was raining, I'd have to stand outside and get wet before I believed him.
  7. Ah,but didn't "Perfumed Peter",deny this on News Night? :lol:
  8. Actually, a relatively uncorrupt CS is the anomaly.
    For almost as long as people with pens have done the Crown's business there was corruption, bribery and theft. This was seen not only as a perk of the job, but an actual part of the terms and conditions. Quite often salaries were late or just not paid, so Civil servants made up for the poor pay by making the most of their connections to the powerful in Government by selling access and favours.
    The Navy in the 1700's was notoriously bent, with all kinds of fiddles going on at all levels, from dockyard staff nicking the copper up to the Board itself.
    The famous diarist Samual Pepys was appointed to try and clean the place up a bit.

To be frank, the most damaging part of "Call me Tony's" regime was the plague of political commissars he parachuted into the CS. The 'Special advisers' have a lot to answer for in terms of the ethical and procedural decay that has taken place under Labour.
  9. Kit,

it was the golden age of saintly politicians I was wondering about. I would pretty much agree with your dating of the golden age of CS rectitude.

10. I think it is more likely at present that a member or official of the government will deny it has been raining, even if you stand dripping onto his office carpet...Once you draw his attention to the wet patch, you will be reminded that there was much more rain under the last government and that umbrella production under NuLabour has increased by Stakhanovite proportions.
  11. For a fifteen year-old rugby playing internet Major, you do okay. :D

Hasn't Blair already done enough already for dead and wounded soldiers?
  12. Don't be silly, Blair showed exactly what contempt he had for our armed forces at the Iraq inquiry. British troops were used for his own political and financial gain and to cement himself to the Bush neo-Con administration and the American public.

The man is an utter disgrace, and one day he will hopefully be held to account for the thousands of deaths he was responsible for.

Black Buck One - Out
  13. Earned,my arrse!.That cnut wouldn't know what work was to save his wretched little life.

The nearest he has ever come to work is finding a tax avoidence accountant.