Tony Blair, sleaze article

The Mail has written (to my mind) a good article about Tony Blair and corruption in politics. It is a bit too long to copy in to Arrse, so the link is here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1260204/Tony-Blairs-legacy-sleaze-cleaned-up.html . The article mentions previous high standards of politicians and civil servants. It predicts that we shall not recover those standards, although I hope they are wrong on that point. They also seem to think that there is a possibility of TB playing a supporting role for New Labour in the upcoming election. I think the best way he can help them is to join the Conservative Party, that should lose them more than a few votes.

A nonsense, conveniently ignoring the cash-for-questions scandal I see.

An indicator that the whole lot are corrupt and has been since, well, forever.

The Mail has written (to my mind) a good article
the problem is, articles aren't good just because they say what you want to hear.

it's actually pretty pants, as usual for the daily wail

bullet_catcher said:
The Mail has written (to my mind) a good article about Tony Blair and corruption in politics. It is a bit too long to copy in to Arrse, so the link is here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1260204/Tony-Blairs-legacy-sleaze-cleaned-up.html . The article mentions previous high standards of politicians and civil servants. It predicts that we shall not recover those standards, although I hope they are wrong on that point. They also seem to think that there is a possibility of TB playing a supporting role for New Labour in the upcoming election. I think the best way he can help them is to join the Conservative Party, that should lose them more than a few votes.
Does it give a date for this golden age?

C_C

A

ALVIN

Here is a brilliant idea.........Why don't we petition the son of a bitch to generously donate some of his easily earned money to Forces charities for some recompense for sending them to War (and for being a true slime ball)
I reckon the Blair's are worth £60 million, plus another £60 million hidden away on the hush hush! ........You know how this cheese operates!

Charm_City said:
bullet_catcher said:

C_C
Hmmm...I'd say from the Northcote-Trevelyan reforms of the civil service in the 1850's to about 1950-1960 ish.

If you dealt with a Civil Servant in that time frame you knew damm well that they could be prone to being inflexible, petty minded and rule bound, yet you knew damm well that they were highly unlikely to be corrupt. Corruption existed, yet it never impinged upon most people's lives. If a Civil Servant told you that employment was figure X, or imports were Figure Y or the number of coppers on the beat was figure Z then that was a solid fact.

Today, if a Minster or a CS told me it was raining, I'd have to stand outside and get wet before I believed him.

lsquared said:
".....Hoon's former colleague (and Blairite favourite) Stephen Byers boasted about how he used ministerial contacts such as Peter Mandelson to change government policy for favoured clients. ....".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...s-legacy-sleaze-cleaned-up.html#ixzz0jYDSqVKE

I was wondering how long it would be before this name cropped up in connection with sleaze.

Of my predictions: one down, one to go (Hain)
Ah,but didn't "Perfumed Peter",deny this on News Night? :lol:

Kitmarlowe said:
Charm_City said:
bullet_catcher said:

C_C
Hmmm...I'd say from the Northcote-Trevelyan reforms of the civil service in the 1850's to about 1950-1960 ish.

If you dealt with a Civil Servant in that time frame you knew damm well that they could be prone to being inflexible, petty minded and rule bound, yet you knew damm well that they were highly unlikely to be corrupt. Corruption existed, yet it never impinged upon most people's lives. If a Civil Servant told you that employment was figure X, or imports were Figure Y or the number of coppers on the beat was figure Z then that was a solid fact.

Today, if a Minster or a CS told me it was raining, I'd have to stand outside and get wet before I believed him.
Actually, a relatively uncorrupt CS is the anomaly.
For almost as long as people with pens have done the Crown's business there was corruption, bribery and theft. This was seen not only as a perk of the job, but an actual part of the terms and conditions. Quite often salaries were late or just not paid, so Civil servants made up for the poor pay by making the most of their connections to the powerful in Government by selling access and favours.
The Navy in the 1700's was notoriously bent, with all kinds of fiddles going on at all levels, from dockyard staff nicking the copper up to the Board itself.
The famous diarist Samual Pepys was appointed to try and clean the place up a bit.

To be frank, the most damaging part of "Call me Tony's" regime was the plague of political commissars he parachuted into the CS. The 'Special advisers' have a lot to answer for in terms of the ethical and procedural decay that has taken place under Labour.

Kitmarlowe said:
Charm_City said:
bullet_catcher said:

C_C

Kit,

it was the golden age of saintly politicians I was wondering about. I would pretty much agree with your dating of the golden age of CS rectitude.

C_C

I think it is more likely at present that a member or official of the government will deny it has been raining, even if you stand dripping onto his office carpet...Once you draw his attention to the wet patch, you will be reminded that there was much more rain under the last government and that umbrella production under NuLabour has increased by Stakhanovite proportions.

Cuddles said:
I think it is more likely at present that a member or official of the government will deny it has been raining, even if you stand dripping onto his office carpet...Once you draw his attention to the wet patch, you will be reminded that there was much more rain under the last government and that umbrella production under NuLabour has increased by Stakhanovite proportions.
For a fifteen year-old rugby playing internet Major, you do okay. :D

Hasn't Blair already done enough already for dead and wounded soldiers?

ALVIN said:
Here is a brilliant idea.........Why don't we petition the son of a bitch to generously donate some of his easily earned money to Forces charities for some recompense for sending them to War (and for being a true slime ball)
Don't be silly, Blair showed exactly what contempt he had for our armed forces at the Iraq inquiry. British troops were used for his own political and financial gain and to cement himself to the Bush neo-Con administration and the American public.

The man is an utter disgrace, and one day he will hopefully be held to account for the thousands of deaths he was responsible for.

Black Buck One - Out

ALVIN said:
I reckon the Blair's are worth £60 million, plus another £60 million hidden away on the hush hush! ........You know how this cheese operates!
Earned,my arrse!.That cnut wouldn't know what work was to save his wretched little life.

The nearest he has ever come to work is finding a tax avoidence accountant.

lsquared said:
".....Hoon's former colleague (and Blairite favourite) Stephen Byers boasted about how he used ministerial contacts such as Peter Mandelson to change government policy for favoured clients. ....".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...s-legacy-sleaze-cleaned-up.html#ixzz0jYDSqVKE

I was wondering how long it would be before this name cropped up in connection with sleaze.

Of my predictions: one down, one to go (Hain)
I have no doubt Mandleson is on the take over this and other cases that have not come to light.

Try
http://order-order.com/
Yes Labour are back to what they understand, their greatest Bogey Ever.
john
Pity she is no longer up to it.

Mine is the first generation able to contemplate the possibility that we may live our entire lives without going to war or sending our children to war.

With Teflon Tony, our much esteemed and loved Ex-PM, will be in a surporting role for McBroone. It will be cringe-making for Gordo to be 'In Blairs Shadow' again. Mr Mandelson will be just behind Brown reminding him to 'Smile for the Press and TV, Gordon'. Brown will be quetly strongarmd by Lord peter to 'Be Nice to Tony'.

But behind closed doors each evening, Gordo will be throwing coffee pots, cell phones and chairs and tables around.... (alleged of course). Gordon will have to wear a smile on his face like an unwanted pluke or a zit.

Lets just hope that some other Labour Ministers, Ex-Ministers etc fall off thier pedestals with more sleaze and wrongdoing..... I really could not abide another 4 or 5 years with that Gurning Moron in Number Ten, or his successor, Mandelson or Ed ball, balls, balls, Balls..... it's all to much to contemplate.... :toilet:

I couldn,t believe that Byers,Hoon and Hewitt were still in line for peerages....it made me want to puke!
But then i realised it was par for the course in todays Britain and suddenly I felt much better about it all.....they deserve it,bless ,em I,m the one in the wrong.....(DEEP SARCASM ALERT!!!!)

Well I trust that if The Lords is replaced and all Titles abolished No compensation will be paid.

john

Mine is the first generation able to contemplate the possibility that we may live our entire lives without going to war or sending our children to war.

Latest Threads