Tony Blair - Nobodys Poodle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by yank_eyetie, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hardly suprising.

If the Americans love him so much, they can have him.
  2. Seconded.
  3. Nothing doing.

We have a large tribe of smiling, glib, unscrupulous, ambitious office-holding scoundrels over here already.

They must be protected against cheap foreign competition.
  4. Poodles are feisty, loyal and don't leave unpleasant hairy residues on the carpet. None of which applies to the bliar or his unholy family.
  5. Like everyone else, I can't wait for him to be consigned to the pages of history. However, I think the piece was pretty accurate and reflects the trouble he finds himself in.

I've often wrestled with the poodle image. I'm pretty sure even I've used it a couple of times, but I don't think it's entirely accurate. For better or for worse, Blair does honestly believe in the moral crusade stuff in foreign policy. However, a lot of it also has to be accounted for by the crash course in foreign policy he was given in the run up to 1997. He had no experience of it, no background and only mentioned foreign policy in a stump speech for the first time about a week before the General Election. Basically, during the campaign, a whole stack of the great and the good of the Establishment told him all they thought he needed to know. (Guthrie- one of the critics mentioned- was one of his briefers, IIRC, and helped convince him on the utility of force. I can only presume that Guthrie presumed that if HMF would be sent to 5 wars in 10 years that they'd be adequately funded and supplied.) The other key tenent he was taught in those briefings was the importance of "The Special Relationship". In effect, what you see in Blair's behaviour is an unholy hybrid of his own moralism and hubris combined with the status quo orientation of the bureaucracy. "Bliar" didn't just appear out of thin air, he was created.

P.S. Does anybody know the identity of the commader of the tank he vandalized with a permanent marker? Is he an Arrser? Did any thought occur to him other than "You cnut, my loader's going to have to clean that off now."?
  6. Yes that as maybe, but they do go to church on Sunday.
  7. I've seen a couple of Collie dogs in church but never a Poodle.
  8. Crabtastic,
    I think it's simpler and nastier. Blair won the Labour leadership after which he then turned himself into a tory looking guy to attract their votes.
    Its called triangulation i think.
    Anyway after Clinton the wretched little neo con groupies in the real Tory party thought they could get Blair over a barrel.
    But Blair knew the game and out smarted the Tories by sucking up to Bush as much as they would have done had they been in power.
    For serial short term electoral and popularity poll reasons this country therefore was lead into supporting the Americans in a Middle eastern war.
    As he did so he wrapped his hard nosed, to clever by half, political maneuvers in the sanctimonious veneer of his malleable religiosity.

(sorry about that last line - seemed to have swallowed a dictionary.)