Tony Benn taken to hospital - not life threatening

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Sep 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is the Wicked Witch up to the voodoo doll tricks again, as with Cook and Mowlam?

2. Good lad is old uncle Benn. Hope he gets better soon. He's one of the few politicians for whom I have a great deal of respect, even if I don't always agree with him.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Get well soon Tony.
  4. I had the pleasure of hearing him speak on a number of occasions when I was a student. As Bits says, it wasn’t often I agreed with him, but he was always very knowledgeable and entertaining, definitely worthy of respect. I hope he gets well soon.
  5. I would not wish ill on any pensioner (well maybe some) but I cant say I am a fan a rather foolish and nieve politician, regardless of who he served with. An appeaser.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. If our other Lords and Ladies were more like Mr Benn, we would not hear such a loud call for banishment of the honour system and the Royal family.

I have not always agreed with him, but he has always had the 'peoples' welfare at heart.

Get well soon Tony

7. Hatred of Tony Blair makes strange bedfellows. If Mr Benn had his way, we'd all be out of jobs sharpish. Would Britain be a better place? Suppose that depends on whether you'd prefer a statue of an 'Irish Freedom Fighter' instead of Nelson in Trafalgar Square, which would of course be called something like Rosa Luxembourg Square.

Still, at least Tony Benn walked the walk on military matters, unlike most modern day politicians. I certainly don't wish him any ill. Met him once and he is a nice old geezer.
  8. Sideways :D
  9. PTP,

Not a crab, Fleet Air Arm.
  10. Didn't he start as a Crab though? Seem to remember he did his first solo in Rhodesia as a crab, then transferred to FAA as there was more of a chance to have a crack at the enemies of the Empire. Seafire Jockey too as I remember, top man.

I know his brother was KIA over Germany in a Halifax?
  11. PTP,

Not sure of his original unit but, as you mention, he was a seafire pilot in the Pacific (I think). I always admired his honesty and humour although disagreed with 99% of what ever point he was making. A good politician (not often you see that phrase on ARRSE) who has made politics a darn sight more interesting over the past 50 odd years.

Get well soon.
  12. He was instrumental in getting Concord aloft, or at least was an enthusiastic sponsor.
  13. Still doing his bit at the grand age of 80! Get Well Soon
  14. Doesn't seem very naive to me.

Get well soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Hear Hear. Despite the fact that every utterance the bloke makes (Especially on Iraq) sends my blood presser through the roof. He is of that rare breed of politician that actually stands up for what he believes rather than a self serving rejects from the legal profession that litter the benches of both houses of the mother of democracy.
    • Like Like x 2