Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Tonight I cooked..........

Tonight I cooked ..... Lamb - Morrocan style.

Never done it before, looks like a cow pat , tastes ******* ace !

It involves dried apricots, fresh mint, ground almonds as well as onions , garlic etc.

Wow! doing this again !

From the web:

“Whilst the meat is really similar in texture it is the different shapes it produces as it is removed from the carcass that have given rise to the proliferation of names. Bavette can be translated as bib referring to its flat shape similarly in English skirt has the same origin. Aiguillette baronne is a long, conical piece, like a large needle, hence its name aiguillette. Onglet translates as tab indicating a quite small but specific cut from the flank area closest to the diaphragm. In the UK these can also be known as hanger steaks. Flanchet is the French term for flank taking the name from the position on the animal. Hampe is a longer thin cut from this area and means shaft reflecting its shape.”

I think it’s pretty much all the same stuff - belly

View attachment 620966
That's it. When we send a cow/steer to the abbattoir we have to ask for the hanger steak or we don't get it.

Busy day and in late. Root through the cupboard and found a Schwartz Spanish Chicken sachet. Followed the instructions. 10 mins prep, 20 mins cooking.

OK, not home cooked in the true sense but as a stop gap and being tired and hungry, it’s a 10/10 from me.

All you need is an onion, a couple of chicken tits, a pepper, some paella or risotto rice and a handful of frozen peas. A decent frying pan or wok with a lid. Oh, and tap water.

Busy day and in late. Root through the cupboard and found a Schwartz Spanish Chicken sachet. Followed the instructions. 10 mins prep, 20 mins cooking.

OK, not home cooked in the true sense but as a stop gap and being tired and hungry, it’s a 10/10 from me.

All you need is an onion, a couple of chicken tits, a pepper, some paella or risotto rice and a handful of frozen peas. A decent frying pan or wok with a lid. Oh, and tap water.
Looks nice

Looks nice
Yeah, sorry about that. If you’ve got one of those medical camera things I could give you a squint at it?

Just put it up as a suggestion for anyone else looking for a quick and easy meal.

Will do it again for sure so will try and remember to have knife, fork and camera to hand.

20211207_185330.jpg

A couple of the 6 Mutton chops in barbeque sauce cooked tonight.

The remnants. That's a piece of rice we had them with.
20211207_185358.jpg

Almost healthy’ish option last night. Rump cap or Picanha steak from our local Brazilian butcher and BBQ’d corn/red pepper and some green shite. Steak was outstanding. Green shite, not so much.
3B2DBD33-9584-4A36-9B9F-9159D25C220C.jpeg

It's Christmas.

I saw there had been a bit of discussion regarding Kitchen Aid stand mixers etc - what's the overall opinion? Worthwhile? Or only if you are a Bake-Off wannabee? How flexible are they?

IMHO, very much overpriced . Lots of add-ons available but, again, very expensive.

Kenwoods last for ages but are not as achingly trendy.

Give me substance over style every time.

IMHO, very much overpriced . Lots of add-ons available but, again, very expensive.

Kenwoods last for ages but are not as achingly trendy.

Give me substance over style every time.

My mother has a Kenwood - with all the fittings - that has to be at least 50 years old.
It has 'served' in Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Iran, back to Fiji and now is working in Hampshire.

Built to last a lifetime.

Edit
WARNING all Models built after 2002 are made in China so buy second hand and check the makers plate

Last edited:
It's Christmas.

I saw there had been a bit of discussion regarding Kitchen Aid stand mixers etc - what's the overall opinion? Worthwhile? Or only if you are a Bake-Off wannabee? How flexible are they?

Really outstanding. They’re not cheap, and I’ve got more invested in the attachments than the actual mixer. But we use ours a lot. To be honest, it’s transformed the quality of our food. I grind my own meat, make my own bread/rolls/baguettes, and now pasta, and we use it to shred/grate large quantities of cheese, whip fresh cream etc.

Not all are equal though. There are three basic models.

Tilt-head. I had one of these years ago, and the tilt-lock mechanism wears, leading to a “chattery” experience. Usually smaller bowl, smaller wattage motor.

Bowl-lift, AC motor. Larger/taller than the tilt-head models, with bigger bowl and larger motor.

Bowl-lift DC motor. Same size as the AC variant, but more powerful motor. This is what we have, got it on sale in Costco the better part of 10 years ago. In full transparency, I didn’t realize it was the DC variant until some time later. My only failure in that time has been the planetary gear mechanism cracked about 6 months ago. If you google the planetary mechanism for the AC and DC variants, you can see the DC one is much more chunky than the AC one.

I’ll take some photos in a bit and comment on the accessories we have.

But to answer the original question, it’s the Dualit toaster of home mixers.