Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Tonight I cooked..........

My sister brought me back a whole package of goodies from a business trip to Seoul last year. I’d worked there in the late ‘90s & had raved about the good.

One of the items was a sachet of sauce for Budae Jigae. Made a pig of myself on a big bowl of the stuff, all sorts went in but I did draw the line at cheese possessed. Blooming hot it was...
Japan Center in Westfield, either, has this when we're out and about again - you can order online but they're great shops for all of your Ramen and similar needs.

1591217433600.png

Japan Center in Westfield, either, has this when we're out and about again - you can order online but they're great shops for all of your Ramen and similar needs.

Thanks for that. Tried Japan Centre at Piccadilly Circus some years back, but they had no Korean stuff at all. Gather New Malden (IIRC) of all places is London’s centre of Korean food.

Here’s the stuff my sister brought back, a bit depleted now:

8339DE98-8196-4C4A-8FA4-AFA8436A8B37.jpeg

And this is how my budae jjigae came out:

3C103885-5D2F-4DA3-B923-DF9ED454B76D.jpeg

Or more accurately how it looked when it went in. When it came out it was like lava on the old Chalfonts...

Spicy Alsatian , pot Poodle, low fat Labrador, Peking Dachshund,

fried Foxhound, sweet and sour Shih Tzu, Chow Chow mein, kennel Kimchi

There was a drive to hide the dog restaurants from foreign visitors in the run up to the Seoul Olympics, gather they’re still there if one knows where to look. Or should I say sniff them out ;)

Just for you...

JB

Soft Scottish Morning Rolls

Makes 18

Ingredients

800g strong bread flour

75g marge or butter

1tsp salt

1tsp yeast

1tsp sugar

400ml milk

100ml water

Method

Mix flour & salt, add marge/butter and crumb.

Mix milk & water, add sugar, warm, add yeast, wait until active.

When wet mix is frothy, add to dry mix and combine, mix to a dough, cover (with plate) and rest for 10 min.

Knead 8 – 10 times round the bowl, cover (with plate) and rest for 10 min, repeat 4 times.

Cover with tea towel (red for rolls, not to be mixed with blue for bread*) and wait until doubled in size.

Knock back and weigh dough, divide by 18 (should be 77g -78g).

Divide dough, form and place on 2 baking sheets, cover and leave to rise.

When risen, heat oven to 195c.

Bake for 10/11 mins, rotate after 5 (oven dependant)

Remove to a wire rack to cool.

*Different mix, blue for buns can be used in an emergency.
Making them now.