Tonight I cooked..........

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Jorrocks, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Egg banjo must have runny egg, when bitten into egg yolk runs down fingers and chin onto wooly pully, wipeing off action similar to playing banjo. :D Many eaten many more to go. :lol:

2. Bangers and Mash with a difference. (Well it was different to me anyway).

We had this tonight and it was top notch.

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, and mash with 1 teaspoon of butter, and enough milk to reach your desired creaminess. Continue mashing, or beat with an electric mixer, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
    2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until heated through. Remove from pan, and set aside. Add remaining teaspoon of butter to the skillet, and fry the onions over medium heat until tender. Mix gravy mix and water as directed on the package, and add to the skillet with the onions. Simmer, stirring constantly, to form a thick gravy.
    3. Pour half of the gravy into a square casserole dish so that is coats the bottom. Place sausages in a layer over the gravy (you can butterfly the sausages if you wish). Pour remaining gravy over them, then top with mashed potatoes.
    4. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until potatoes are evenly brown.

Ingredients

* 8 large baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
    * 2 teaspoons butter, divided
    * 1/2 cup milk, or as needed
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 1 1/2 pounds beef sausage
    * 1/2 cup diced onion
    * 1 (.75 ounce) packet dry brown gravy mix
    * 1 cup water, or as needed

p.s....not my recipe, I swagged it off the interwebs :p

3. drooooooooooooooooooolllll
    Homer moment.

4. cheese souffle

5. Couscous aux Sept Légumes. Spicy, light and more French than Algerian like herself.

6. Last night I cooked sloooooooow and tender Beef rendang with extra chopped ginger, coconut shavings and chilli.

7. Steak Mince, Onions, Garlic, Peppers, Beans, Oxo, Chilli, Paprika.

Burnt the feckin' lot and had to go out and buy pizza.

8. I´m a big fan of couscous and we´ve got a new Morrocan green grocer in the village who seems to have all the right stuff. Any chance of you posting the recipe? Do you need a steamer or any other special kit?

9. errr "you" cooked :?

10. Bit off-topic, because I don't do it every night! One of my favourites though, lazy breakfast.

This method cooks everything in a slow cook pot overnight, so that breakfast is ready to be eaten when I feel like it in the morning. I usually do everything on Friday night for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday.
    I tend to do everything in the slow cooker for about 10 hours, to eat at about 8AM the following morning, so I start things going at about 10PM. You can do the frying at any convenient time, though. Even a day or three beforehand.

Ingredients:

1 lb sausages
    Onions, as required, sliced
    Mushrooms, ditto
    Black pudding, ditto
    6 rashers best bacon
    1 lb potatoes, cut in half or quartered (depending on size) to give "bite-size" chunks
    Herbs, spices, seasoning to taste

Method:

As and when you've got time, quickly fry or grill the sausages and bacon to give them a bit of colour, but don't cook them. Leave them on a plate on the side.

Pre-heat the slow cooker for about 10 minutes (or whatever it says in the User Guide). Then, heat half a glass of red wine in the microwave until the wine just starts to bubble.

Chuck everything into the slow cooker, add the wine gently, add the spices, herbs and seasoning and put the lid on the slow cooker.

Leave on low overnight. (About 10 hours, as said, but everything will probably be ready in about 9 hours if you're up early...)

Eat some/all of the contents the following morning. (Toast or fresh bread is an optional extra.) Any left over liquid can be kept to make gravy at a later date.

11. "Baking potatoes"..."mashing" potatoes might have been a better shout!

For those for whom a potato is a potato is a potato, may I offer this guide...

http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/potato-varieties/

It really makes a difference which varieties you use. For example roast a King Edward then contrast it with a roasted Wilja. both acceptable, one inestimable!

12. Almost the same as Spank-it's sausages but....

Bratwurst Casserole

Get a packet of Bratties from Tescos/Lidls etc and place under the grill
    Chop up some onions and mushrooms and fry until soft in a wok
    Make some gravy (granules and an oxo cube) and add lots of ground black pepper, add to wok with onions and musrooms
    Once brown cut up bratties into bite sized pieces and add to wok - simmer for a while (depends how long you have but the longer the better (adds to the flavour)
    Top up with more peppered gravy where necessary

Serve with mash and veg

Or

Another one Roasted mediterrainian veg with chorizo and pasta

You need

Tomatoes - quartered
    Peppers (red, orange, yellow - whatever you like really) cut into largeish chunks
    Courgettes - as above
    Mushrooms - as above
    Red Onion - chopped finely
    Chorizo salami - shredded
    Fresh pasta - as normal
    Olive Oil
    Balsamic Vinegar

Cut up all the veg stuff, place on a sheet of tin foil in a roasting tin and a good splash of olive oil and a liberal dose of balsamic vinegar. Leave untill the edges of the veg start going black and the courgettes are softish (give them a shake ever now and then)

13. oooooooooh I love beef rendang! I had it in October in a lovely little restaurant in Woodbridge, will you post the recipie please?

14. First you need to make the paste. No paste = no beef rendang. I'm sure you can get ready made paste but I've never been able to find it in either Soho or the Wing Yip in Waddon. For DIY paste you need :

- 1 biggish knob of galangal
    - 3 lemongrass (white part only)
    - Between 5 and 10 cloves garlic
    - One fat knob of ginger, and another fat knob to crudely chop later
    - Around 10 dried chillies (soaked in warm water and seeded) - these are available from aforementioned locations but you can substitute with with fresh red chillies if you want, but it just wont be as smoky. Seeding is optional if you like fiery food. I don't like shy food.
    - A slack handful of shallots

Mash it all up or blend it until it is a paste (Mashing is better).

Then make sure you have :

- Around 800g of diced beef.
    - 5 tablespoons cooking oil
    - 1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch long)
    - 3 cloves (optional luxury)
    - 3 star anise (optional luxury)
    - 3 cardamom pods (optional luxury)
    - 1 lemongrass (cut into 4-inch length and pound until broken but coherent)
    - 1 cup thick coconut milk
    - About a mug of water.
    - 2 teaspoons tamarind pulp soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds (if you're lazy like me you can substitute with supermarket pineapple & coconut juice, or something else suitably tangy and mellow).
    A double few kaffir lime leaves (very finely sliced)
    - Half a cup of toasted coconut shavings. I had these sent to me so I don't know about their availability here. Dry fry some normal coconut shavings until brown if you can get them. This is important for the consistency and textural background of the dish. If you really can't find it then substitute with bashed up peanuts.
    - Palm sugar preferably, but raw-as-you-can-find brown sugar will do. Add as much as you please, but a little at a time is best for flavour.
    - Salt or Fish sauce to taste.

Directions:

1. Heat up the oil in a large saucepan/pot and put the paste in. Stir until two become one.

2. Add the whole spices, bashed lemongrass and beef and stir until meat is totally covered and somewhat sealed.

3. Add the coconut milk bit by bit and tamarind juice (if you're using fruit juice you can afford to add it at the latter tasting stages).

4. Add the toasted coconut shavings, crudely chopped ginger and chopped kaffir lime leaves (fresh bay leaves are an acceptable substitute) and stir.

5. Sugar/salt to taste.

I added some left over boiled baby spuds too but that was an improvisation really.

6. Every thing should be juuuuuuust covered in liquid - fix with fruit juice or water if it isn't. Simmer on the lowest heat you can get away with whilst still bubbling for at least an hour. The goal is to redux it quite a bit so I recommend only partially covering the pot (some pressure is good for tenderising the meat). I had waited long enough by two.

7. Gobble.

It all looks very complicated and intimidating in writing but once you've got all the ingredients together its very simple, almost as simple as oven cooking. I used to be scared by long lists of ingredients but I implore others to fight the fear, at least when making curries or oriental stews : it is well worth it.

15. This Rendang recipe works for me.
    1/2 pound shallots, 3 cloves garlic, 15 dried red chillis, 5 slices fresh ginger root,10 lemon grass, chopped.waz in the blender to a paste.
    2 teaspoons coriander seeds, 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, 1 pinch grated nutmeg well ground.
    1 1/4 pounds diced stewing beef
    1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
    1/2 pound shredded coconut
    5 whole cloves
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 tins of coconut milk

use a wok to dry fry the coconut until golden and remove
    bit of oil and fry paste fry for a few minutes the add ground mixture continue to cook add the beef and seal well Stir in sugar, coconut, cloves, cinnamon stick, coconut milk add enough water to cover ingredients and bring to the boil I then transfer the lot to a slow cooker and give it at least 4 hours season to taste.I finish mine by stirring in 3 packets of the microwavable pilau rice.(Lidls)