Tonight I cooked..........

Can the assembled cookery experts help me please? Tonight's meal will be shoulder of lamb, which has been slow-roasting all day. Amongst the diverse vegetables to be consumed with it are some broad beans, donated yesterday, grown by our sis-in-law.

I loathe the taste and texture of these items. They were a staple boarding school vegetable - tough, pasty and disgusting. How do I cook them so they taste nice and I can thank the donor truthfully for them?

Mr GRB suggested boiling for twenty minutes. Really??????
Do you skin them after depodding ?
I know it's a pain and reduces the yield, but you can add to the dish with peas or chopped green beans.

Funnily enough we've just had broad beans with a leg of lamb. I didn't skin them as they were quite tender, but boiled them them drained, added cream and mustard and juice of 1/2 a lemon, some chopped parsley.

Probably too late, but hope this helps.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Roast them, it totally changes the texture and flavour, I like to sprinkle parmesan over them for the last five minutes in the oven.
Well they were as awful as expected, although himself enjoyed them. Thank heavens for Merlot!

I'll try roasting the rest, thank you for the tip.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do you skin them after depodding ?
I know it's a pain and reduces the yield, but you can add to the dish with peas or chopped green beans.

Funnily enough we've just had broad beans with a leg of lamb. I didn't skin them as they were quite tender, but boiled them them drained, added cream and mustard and juice of 1/2 a lemon, some chopped parsley.

Probably too late, but hope this helps.
That sounds lovely. Might give it a go with parsley from my own garden. Thank you.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Roast them, it totally changes the texture and flavour, I like to sprinkle parmesan over them for the last five minutes in the oven.
What he said.

ETA: did it not work? I guess boarding school PTSD is hard to overcome!

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
Fry up.

20220619_200147.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Tonight’s prawn n’spuds:

6A3465AC-8F67-4007-B387-5B1A00BE2A75.jpeg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Can the assembled cookery experts help me please? Tonight's meal will be shoulder of lamb, which has been slow-roasting all day. Amongst the diverse vegetables to be consumed with it are some broad beans, donated yesterday, grown by our sis-in-law.

I loathe the taste and texture of these items. They were a staple boarding school vegetable - tough, pasty and disgusting. How do I cook them so they taste nice and I can thank the donor truthfully for them?

Mr GRB suggested boiling for twenty minutes. Really??????

Try making a puree and have it with burrata and chopped tomatoes. That was one I found on the internet salad recipes 'cos I like Italian cheese and tomatoes.

Try making a puree and have it with burrata and chopped tomatoes. That was one I found on the internet salad recipes 'cos I like Italian cheese and tomatoes.
True, does make a nice dip.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
One has to disagree. To quote John Lennon; "All we are saying is give peas a chance".
Or earlier 'peas on earth, goodwill to all men'

Oh, I dunno, I made dog food for a while and it was all passed fit for human consumption.
Our manager used to eat it on his lunch break and I don't remember him ever suffering from it.

Did you ever catch him sat under his desk licking his arse to get rid of the taste of it?

Perhaps Kirkz does it for him?
Pre digested. Less effort.
Waste not want not.;)
Why bark when you've got a dug?
Persec ffs. You're not supposed to post that Kirkz's real name is Doug.

Latest Threads