Tonight I cooked..........

IMHO, very much overpriced . Lots of add-ons available but, again, very expensive.

Kenwoods last for ages but are not as achingly trendy.

Give me substance over style every time.

IMHO, very much overpriced . Lots of add-ons available but, again, very expensive.

Kenwoods last for ages but are not as achingly trendy.

Give me substance over style every time.

My mother has a Kenwood - with all the fittings - that has to be at least 50 years old.
It has 'served' in Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Iran, back to Fiji and now is working in Hampshire.

Built to last a lifetime.

Edit
WARNING all Models built after 2002 are made in China so buy second hand and check the makers plate

Last edited:
It's Christmas.

I saw there had been a bit of discussion regarding Kitchen Aid stand mixers etc - what's the overall opinion? Worthwhile? Or only if you are a Bake-Off wannabee? How flexible are they?

Really outstanding. They’re not cheap, and I’ve got more invested in the attachments than the actual mixer. But we use ours a lot. To be honest, it’s transformed the quality of our food. I grind my own meat, make my own bread/rolls/baguettes, and now pasta, and we use it to shred/grate large quantities of cheese, whip fresh cream etc.

Not all are equal though. There are three basic models.

Tilt-head. I had one of these years ago, and the tilt-lock mechanism wears, leading to a “chattery” experience. Usually smaller bowl, smaller wattage motor.

Bowl-lift, AC motor. Larger/taller than the tilt-head models, with bigger bowl and larger motor.

Bowl-lift DC motor. Same size as the AC variant, but more powerful motor. This is what we have, got it on sale in Costco the better part of 10 years ago. In full transparency, I didn’t realize it was the DC variant until some time later. My only failure in that time has been the planetary gear mechanism cracked about 6 months ago. If you google the planetary mechanism for the AC and DC variants, you can see the DC one is much more chunky than the AC one.

I’ll take some photos in a bit and comment on the accessories we have.

But to answer the original question, it’s the Dualit toaster of home mixers.

I have to both concur and disagree with @Meat and Two Veg - expensive for sure, and I concur that substance over style is what you get with them (mostly, see below). I disagree that they’re achingly trendy, a 1960s one looks, and fundamentally is, exactly the same. Metal gears, 3/8” PTO drive, no plastic in the body, it’s all metal, heavy and stable. Yes, they do come in fru-fru paint jobs, but mine’s plain black.

So, on with the pics. Mine’s a 6qt “tulip bowl”. There are 5, 6 and 7 qt models. Note that not all bowl accessories are available for all sizes, and they’re not interchangeable, as the depth and shape of the bowl determine its capacity. They come with a beater, a whisk and a dough hook. The bowl lift models have a non-spiral dough hook. Spiral is much superior.

622C562B-C28B-4BD7-A173-9EEB91CC0437.jpeg

First accessory I got was the slicer/grater. The metal cones are driven by the PTO and make large quantities of grated cheese very quickly. We use this for fondue a lot.

7CD5154F-A427-4F4E-9E99-F216BA4DF401.jpeg

9686FBF2-79C4-4095-A47D-BA04E4AE9BE7.jpeg

This attachment is new, I thought it might be a bit fru-fru, but actually it’s been pretty useful. It‘s a combined scale and sifter, so you get repeatable results, with sifted flour. The scale detaches and can be a countertop scale. We’ll see how durable it is, but it’s surprised me at how much I’ve used it; only had it a couple weeks.

543333D7-EE7F-452B-BAAD-4537DBC5B0AC.jpeg
60CB2273-1055-4973-80D0-AC8F8C61A153.jpeg

I’ve had the fruit juicer for years. It’s not that great, to be honest, and the Armstrong one on the counter is better/easier/easier to clean if you just want say 2 lemons’ worth.

32F36BAB-3CCE-48B0-A8C5-B3D6E0ED539F.jpeg

The pasta roller set is ridiculously heavy, probably 3lbs each one. Very simple to use, and makes great pasta:

7E3A23BC-8D5E-451E-9C65-F2881544B8A5.jpeg

The pasta extruder does a good job, but is pretty labour-intensive to make a batch of say fusilli. It’s also a fiddly job to clean the extrusion plates.

4AADB748-FA3E-4337-94E6-9C749E422BCE.jpeg

BB47F396-9DAF-442E-A25D-8787CE6D66FA.jpeg

When I had a bowl-lift mixer, I got the only grinder they had at the time, a plastic one. It’s done its job over the years, but it’s cracked and rusty now on the auger. So it was time to replace with the newer metal one, which is MUCH larger and better-built, all metal construction:

8133C158-DB46-4352-BFBF-3BEAA773F17F.jpeg

Compared with old one:

E8332E9C-CA07-418E-B079-B76B38CC1AA7.jpeg

In summary, I can’t recommend the fruit juicer, the metal grinder is leagues ahead of the plastic one, the pasta press is Ok but fiddly, the pasta rollers are ace, the slicing/grating thing is very efficient, and the fru-fru scale/sifter is actually quite good.

There are knock-off attachments on Amazon, but all these are genuine accessories, so I can’t comment on the knock-offs.

All in all, this system is very well built, powerful and versatile. Worth every penny for the mixer itself, and most of the accessories. Highly recommended.

I have to both concur and disagree with @Meat and Two Veg - expensive for sure, and I concur that substance over style is what you get with them (mostly, see below). I disagree that they’re achingly trendy, a 1960s one looks, and fundamentally is, exactly the same. Metal gears, 3/8” PTO drive, no plastic in the body, it’s all metal, heavy and stable. Yes, they do come in fru-fru paint jobs, but mine’s plain black.

So, on with the pics. Mine’s a 6qt “tulip bowl”. There are 5, 6 and 7 qt models. Note that not all bowl accessories are available for all sizes, and they’re not interchangeable, as the depth and shape of the bowl determine its capacity. They come with a beater, a whisk and a dough hook. The bowl lift models have a non-spiral dough hook. Spiral is much superior.

View attachment 621113

First accessory I got was the slicer/grater. The metal cones are driven by the PTO and make large quantities of grated cheese very quickly. We use this for fondue a lot.

View attachment 621114
View attachment 621115

This attachment is new, I thought it might be a bit fru-fru, but actually it’s been pretty useful. It‘s a combined scale and sifter, so you get repeatable results, with sifted flour. The scale detaches and can be a countertop scale. We’ll see how durable it is, but it’s surprised me at how much I’ve used it; only had it a couple weeks.

View attachment 621116View attachment 621117

I’ve had the fruit juicer for years. It’s not that great, to be honest, and the Armstrong one on the counter is better/easier/easier to clean if you just want say 2 lemons’ worth.

View attachment 621118

The pasta roller set is ridiculously heavy, probably 3lbs each one. Very simple to use, and makes great pasta:

View attachment 621119

The pasta extruder does a good job, but is pretty labour-intensive to make a batch of say fusilli. It’s also a fiddly job to clean the extrusion plates.

View attachment 621121
View attachment 621120

When I had a bowl-lift mixer, I got the only grinder they had at the time, a plastic one. It’s done its job over the years, but it’s cracked and rusty now on the auger. So it was time to replace with the newer metal one, which is MUCH larger and better-built, all metal construction:

View attachment 621122

Compared with old one:

View attachment 621123

In summary, I can’t recommend the fruit juicer, the metal grinder is leagues ahead of the plastic one, the pasta press is Ok but fiddly, the pasta rollers are ace, the slicing/grating thing is very efficient, and the fru-fru scale/sifter is actually quite good.

There are knock-off attachments on Amazon, but all these are genuine accessories, so I can’t comment on the knock-offs.

All in all, this system is very well built, powerful and versatile. Worth every penny for the mixer itself, and most of the accessories. Highly recommended.
A great post from the Senior Vice President KitchenAid (North America) ;)

Froggy onion soup
20211208_185214_resized.jpg

Ladies & gentlemen, I bring you the Christmas Dinner Burger. Cranberry sauce, stuffing, pork & herb patty, bacon strips, chicken burger, hash brown & Sauce Shop sprout ketchup:

3168AA71-3570-4E36-BB80-44631B1E84E1.jpeg

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
Balsamic chicken and peppers.

20211208_195240.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Salmon, Cod and King Prawn coconut curry….

AEC2EF2D-CA13-4498-95F2-A834579E12D9.jpeg

clothears

War Hero
@Kirkz did you run out of cheese?

Kitchen Aid Mixers? I love mine. He's known as Big Red. I don't have all the bells and whistles but the three basic attachments that came with it. Cakes, breads, accidental butter, icing, is what I do in mine. I have a Kitchen Aid food processor for other stuff.

I guess it depends where in the world you are. They are pretty much the gold standard in North America. A much desired wedding present. We've often bought one as a group present at work.

I hesitated for years before buying one, just couldn't justify the cost, then one day the kids were teenagers, the mortgage paid off and it wasn't a luxury anymore.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
@Kirkz did you run out of cheese?

Kitchen Aid Mixers? I love mine. He's known as Big Red. I don't have all the bells and whistles but the three basic attachments that came with it. Cakes, breads, accidental butter, icing, is what I do in mine. I have a Kitchen Aid food processor for other stuff.

I guess it depends where in the world you are. They are pretty much the gold standard in North America. A much desired wedding present. We've often bought one as a group present at work.

I hesitated for years before buying one, just couldn't justify the cost, then one day the kids were teenagers, the mortgage paid off and it wasn't a luxury anymore.
Don't be silly.
I ate it while I was cooking the chicken.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's shite.

I'm a borderline veggie these days, doing the either/or thing once a week. Usually the weekend...

Either steak, *or* fish, *or* beer.

Beer usually wins...

Although I can cheat and have steak *or* fish... And get smashed on white wine and gin & tonic :thumleft:
I take it that a Surf'n'Turf with a couple of Forsyths is out then?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
With the Oberplattenfuhrer no longer being on the thread (PBUH), I think I can probably get away with Frankenfood:

Speyside black pudding and spicy rice.

oCjqrNh.jpg

Latest Threads