Tonight I cooked..........

Your icing is more of a glaze. Did you let the cake cool before icing/glazing? If it a s just icing sugar and lemon juice it was glaze and will soak in. Intensifies the lemon flavour

It is indeed what you’re calling a glaze. I call it icing. I made some fairy cakes about 6 months ago, and it just sat on the top like it was meant to, so this surprised me a bit.

Yup, those purines are a bastard. Been taking five minutes every morning to get my left boot on for the last few weeks, my foot is that swollen. Cut down on pure nyama scoff and going half meat, half veg now and it seems to have settled down a bit.

Becoming a grumpy old fart is not for sissies.
If it's not too soon....Boot size for a friend please? :oops:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Yup, those purines are a bastard. Been taking five minutes every morning to get my left boot on for the last few weeks, my foot is that swollen. Cut down on pure nyama scoff and going half meat, half veg now and it seems to have settled down a bit.

Becoming a grumpy old fart is not for sissies.

It's shite.

I'm a borderline veggie these days, doing the either/or thing once a week. Usually the weekend...

Either steak, *or* fish, *or* beer.

Beer usually wins...

Although I can cheat and have steak *or* fish... And get smashed on white wine and gin & tonic :thumleft:

Last edited:
To celebrate the weight loss of my first ‘lockdown stone’ (another one to go!), I treated myself to a substantial lunch today.
M&S Tagine style Lamb, with Orzo and green veg.
1261E07E-62A2-4441-BC05-F11E93A989F3.jpeg

I reckon it's true that the best diet for most people is fill your plate 3/4 with veges, everything else is secondary. It certainly improves your bowel movements, you'll be laying rusty bolts in no time in my experience.

True story, I did my B1 drivers in Hong Kong. Tutors were going on about the fermossa. What the feck is that think us. Then one of the lads said, do you mean, thermostat? Yes the fermossa came the reply.
A few years back, our local Chinese Chippy confused the hell out of me for weeks until I figured out he was offering salt and vinegar on the chips instead of “sore finger”!

I know, as old as the hills (like me)! :smile:

Ahoy hoy, ladies and gents and others whose gender I haven’t guessed. Cooked some steaks last night and superbly underdone them. Mrs R not impressed. So the leftovers became a curry, with other leftover stuff.
Used a Pataks tikka masala paste pot. Leftover leeks; tomatoes from our bacon and oatcake extravaganza the other day. Squeezy ginger, lots of garlic and whole chillies from the pot out front. Lots of mushrooms too.
Found a naan bread in the freezer!
This is it with a Fursty Ferret beer at 10 o clock. Position, not time.
Battered wok was given to us as a wedding present 28+ years ago and has seen some abuse. As have I, but mine is all self-inflicted.
Still the best cooking utensil I have.

F281FDB0-4995-46CE-AA82-48A86A76A5E6.jpeg

Chicken balti pie (a Glynn Purnell recipe)

20211205_181857_resized.jpg

With Hispi cabbage and larded carrots
20211205_182451_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t buy ground meat. I buy steak and pork when it goes on sale and grind it myself. It’s almost 100% lean, I cut out any visible fat and gristle. A dish that needs a bit of fat, it’s easy to add the fat. Not so much the other way. If I make say a Bolognese sauce, it’s generally with sirloin.

I can’t stand that fatty orange slime that forms when I used to use store-bought ground beef slime for dishes with tomato in them, it stains everything and tastes horrible.

If that makes me a ground beef snob, then so be it :)

Why not go shoot your own ?
You live in a perfect time in a perfect Continent..

A week per year away hunting.
If you learn - you fill the freezer enough for that year.

Why not go shoot your own ?
You live in a perfect time in a perfect Continent..

A week per year away hunting.
If you learn - you fill the freezer enough for that year.

Cheers, but hunting is not for me. It’s like basketball to me. I have no problems with other people doing it, if that’s what they enjoy, but I have no interest whatsoever in it.

We’ve (children and I) been baking for Christmas … the chances of any of these being left by Christmas are as remote as a very remote thing … I suspect we’ll be repeating these before the festivities ;)
1304BEC2-64B4-4F56-9E49-DDC72A5327DF.jpeg

Latest Threads