Tonight I cooked..........

That looks great, brilliant presentation as always. Massive steak by the look of it too.

The steak was around 12oz, and it was excellent quality. I go to a good local butchers once a week to buy my meat, Butchers Hook in Battle, it's the sort of shop where the blokes behind the counter fetch a whole rib-eye or striploin from the fridge when I ask for steak, and hold the knife over it while I select the thickness, then cut them to order.

It may cost a bit more than supermarket meat but the difference in quality is night and day.

Pork bulgogi, hard boiled black beans in soy sauce, kimchi. That’s cleared the sinuses…

C8635062-2D0B-40DA-A491-39ABB1829602.jpeg

Thinking about it I’ll probably be able to clear rooms tomorrow, that or turn the central heating off.

colinmc400

War Hero
It may cost a bit more than supermarket meat but the difference in quality is night and day.
I have that ongoing argument with the Splitarsed victuals manager at home. Supermarket meat generally(not always before somebody says otherwise), does not taste as good as the same cut from a decent butcher. We find that especially true with lamb.

Inventive tonight, fancied spicy, but comfort food, mince as if you were making mince and tatties, onions, garlic, flour, stock cube, Tom paste, water, full top shelf ( @Humble Tiller ) on a bed of chopped and baked spuddies...

IMG_20211127_204544864_resize_82.jpg

I know...

JB

Last edited:
looking at the mince dishes tonight , (which all looked ace BTW)
we had FD mince ( F ucking disaster)
I'd done a moroccan lamb mince a few weeks ago , it wasn't great then and the remains went in the freezer
tonight she put two baked spuds in the halogen oven for an hour but didn't turn the temp up so they weren't cooked through , oh well rice it is then , and lo and behold , some microwave rice from the motorhome larder that hadn't been used "mexican flavour

well, the mince was very lemony and the rice was sh1te
so diner was a FD

the mcGuigans black label red after was very nice , as were the cheese and biccies though

note to self lamb chunks , not mince next time

Tool

LE
HiD is on a pork'n'cheese binge at the moment, so
Part 1 (lunch yesterday):
Prego rolls - the fork is hiding, because it was Not Required On Journey, but I needed to get he steaks out of the pan somehow.

Prego Roll.jpg

Tool

LE
..and Part 2 - Lunch today was Trinchado served with sourdough bread (a mistake as far as I am concerned - should have been the crusty rolls like the pregos yesterday).

Trinchado Seffrican style.jpg

Having looked them up both sound epic, Tool. I’ll be giving them a whirl…

looking at the mince dishes tonight , (which all looked ace BTW)
we had FD mince ( F ucking disaster)
I'd done a moroccan lamb mince a few weeks ago , it wasn't great then and the remains went in the freezer
tonight she put two baked spuds in the halogen oven for an hour but didn't turn the temp up so they weren't cooked through , oh well rice it is then , and lo and behold , some microwave rice from the motorhome larder that hadn't been used "mexican flavour

well, the mince was very lemony and the rice was sh1te
so diner was a FD

the mcGuigans black label red after was very nice , as were the cheese and biccies though

note to self lamb chunks , not mince next time

I’m stealing that! Hopefully not required too often!

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
..and Part 2 - Lunch today was Trinchado served with sourdough bread (a mistake as far as I am concerned - should have been the crusty rolls like the pregos yesterday).

View attachment 618885
That's giving me a funny look.

Tool

LE
Having looked them up both sound epic, Tool. I’ll be g iving them a whirl…
You can't get LM (Lorenco Marques) Piri piri here in Engerlandshire, unfortunately. We use Bird's Eye chilis instead.

**Edit - the funny things in the piece of bread at +-4 PM in the Trinchado are three toothpicks to use to pick up the bread pieces. Finger food, and lick the plate clean food. I have recipes for both, if you want.

Go on, I'll bite and ask a bone question. What's a prego roll and how's it made?

Every day's a schoolday and all that.

Go on, I'll bite and ask a bone question. What's a prego roll and how's it made?

Every day's a schoolday and all that.

Tool

LE
Not quote authentic, but that would do.

I used M&S Sirloin steaks (the packs of 6 are thin enough to use).

8 Sirloin steaks, either sliced very thin or pounded thin
4 Bay leaves cut in half
6 Cloves of garlic, sliced thin
1 tbsp. Sweet paprika, Pimentón dulce
1 tsp. Garlic powder
60 ml. White wine
50 ml. Red wine vinegar
30 ml. Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Miix together, marinade steaks for 1-3 hours. Fry to taste in butter and oil. Toast buns, spread with Dijon or Colmans mustard, we use spinach leaves, and steaks. Two steaks per person. Fry up the remaining marinade (it's the darker pieces in t'image), and spread over steaks and other half of the bread rolls - hence the dampness on the top half of the bun.

Tool

LE
In Portuguese, the word Prego means “nail,” which in this case is a metaphorical description of the way slivers of garlic are pounded into a steak before it's griddled and served hot on a soft-crumbed, crisp-crusted Portuguese roll.

You'll never go wrong with Portuguese food. Try peri peri chicken livers with crusty rolls. Severely lush...
One of my greatest friends from University is Portuguese/Welsh. Pretty firey.

Invitations to her place to eat much sought after!

Latest Threads