Tonight I cooked..........

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This works.
33C0F197-4CB8-49DD-AE34-3730025EA832.jpeg

Not really sure where I’m going with this one.

I had a glut of runner beans (the really long ones).

Couldn’t really think of anything to do with them apart from as a side dish.

Smoked bacon lardons, runner beans and paprika.

Would be great with a poached egg on top.

View attachment 610761

Curried bean salad. Pretty much curried beans with red onion, a bit of sugar and vinegar. Shove in a clean jar while hot, lid on, into fridge and serve cold after a few days.

Had a bash at making some bread today. Nothing fancy, just an all in one packet mix from the supermarket.
Very easy to make and tastes lecker.
At €0.69 pretty good value too.
20211019_144250~2.jpg
20211019_143835~2.jpg

Continuing the soup theme…..

Roasted tomato, chilli and basil.

Really easy one.

Get a load of tomatoes, doesn’t matter what kind. A mixture is best. Stick on a tray with olive oil, a chilli (de-seeded) and a few cloves of garlic.

Roast at 120°C for an hour.

Meanwhile caramelise an onion on the hob.

Whack the whole lot in a blender with a little water and some fresh basil to get the correct consistency.

Garnish with Parmesan.

View attachment 610682View attachment 610683

It is only when you see the colour of real tomato soup you realise what a Frankenfood concoction of additives, dyes and cack that must go into canned soups.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
It is only when you see the colour of real tomato soup you realise what a Frankenfood concoction of additives, dyes and cack that must go into canned soups.
I imagine most of them would be preservatives.

I imagine most of them would be preservatives.

Fits the general category of additives.

Back in the really hot summer of 1976 tomatoes were 2p/lb. In fact most domestic fruit and veg was a few pence per pound.

I made a tomato soup and the missus turned her nose up at it on the grounds that she preferred Heinz tomato soup.

Philistine.

I've got a fab recipe for 'Heinz' cream of tomato soup. Apparently the secret ingredient is the tomato juice and a dash of Tommy k

The current mrs_mush says its the business

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Himself was 'under the weather' again this morning, so I baked. Bread, Apple tray bake and apple & blackberry pies. Plus a raisin and apricot splat with the leftover pastry. It went down a treat with my morning coffee.
20211020_130730.jpg
20211020_111900_resized.jpg
20211020_112956_resized.jpg
20211020_130730_resized.jpg

20211017_163002_resized-jpg.610476

Cracking bit of platage. Compliments to the missus.

I must have pareidolia (or possibly apophenia) as i keep seeing faces in platage. That pie reminds me of Little Weed.

I guess it must be one of the new freedoms we have now that we are (sadly and regrettably) liberated from plattentyranny.
What’s in it ? … steak and kidney ?

I've got a new recipe that will shake the very foundations of cuisine for ever, can't let you in on it until next week though, all I can say at this stage is it involves fish fingers.

I've got a new recipe that will shake the very foundations of cuisine for ever, can't let you in on it until next week though, all I can say at this stage is it involves fish fingers.
Fish finger Jenga? Fun for all the family.

Latest Threads